Keith Law Prospect Lists

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Keith Law Prospect Lists

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Law is unveiling his national top 100 in two parts. In his #51-100, Carson Kelly is the only Cardinal, at #71. That suggests to me that only Reyes and Flaherty will be in the top 50 and O’Neill and Bader will miss.

We shall see, but I know Law likes Flaherty. In fact, he was the only national rater to have Flaherty in his top 100 last year, which I respected. That was a time when BA and Goold were especially down on Flaherty.

(ESPN Insider article) https://www.espn.com/insider/mlb/insider/story/_/id/22169243/keith-law-2018-top-100-prospects-nos-100-51-your-team-future-starts-here

PadsFS
    Participant

I’m not an insider, are there other catchers ahead of Kelly on the list?

Every time I compare Kelly head-to-head with any other catcher, Kelly comes out on top and has the defense to boot.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

ESPN has only disclosed #51-#100, so one cannot see all of the catchers ahead of Kelly. However, Chance Sisco of Baltimore is #53. Interestingly, Ruiz of the Dodgers is down at #97 and Alfaro of the Phillies is #98.

Most lists have Francisco Mejia ahead of Kelly.

As an aside, I am as thrifty as anyone, but I believe an ESPN subscription is worth the money. You can get a year for as little as $8 by looking for deals on their magazine. With it comes their online Insider access. I tuck the magazines in my briefcase to read during takeoff and landing on airplanes!

PadsFS
    Participant

Chance Sisco…at best an average defender and with a supposedly better bat. He had a 107 wRC+ in AAA this year compared to Kelly’s 120 and elite catcher defense. Sisco will K too much to be a factor in the majors, unlike Kelly, although we won’t find out about Kelly until 2021.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Law ranks the Cards system 12th. Like the other lists I have seen, St. Louis is third in the division after the Reds and Brewers. As one would expect, outfield and back end of rotation are the Cards’ deepest areas, in his view. (ESPN $)

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/22197478/keith-law-2018-ranking-all-30-farm-systems

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I may be a little biased but I think our farm system is top ten.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Law has published his top 25 Cardinals and includes a lot of commentary. Here is the top 10. (Like his others, it is an ESPN Insider article.)

1. Reyes
    2. Flaherty
    3. Kelly
    4. Hicks
    5. Bader
    6. Munoz
    7. Knizner
    8. Mercado
    9. O’Neill
    10. Hudson

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/22224447/keith-law-complete-guide-nl-central-prospects#Cardinals

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Law has published his mid-season top 50. Kelly is 27, a major improvement for him. No other Cardinals were on the list. (ESPN Insider article)

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/24130683/keith-law-midseason-top-50-prospects-update

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

He also had to include his petty childish dig about Molina not being a Hall of Fame catcher.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Law has taken a lot of heat for his Molina Hall point of view. I don’t think he is anti-Cardinals, though. He voted for Scott Rolen and Larry Walker for the Hall this year, so he is not going with the majority.

https://baseball.vote/ballots/hof/2018/ml/keith-law

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Not surprised by the ranking of Kelly as much as its direction. Law has his stock rising while almost everyone else has it dropping.

bccran
    Participant

Munoz ahead of O’Neill and Hudson?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

That was in January. How it would look today, I do not know.

Check that, I do know. Munoz would be missing as he is no longer prospect-eligible.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Looking at this list and also Jonh Sickle’s off season list and it is amazing how almost none of our top prospects has really disappointed this year. Possibly Kelly very slightly. Garcia as well though he has been on fire lately.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I dont buy the Adolis Garcia hype-He is 25 years old with years of experience playing in Cuba and he is still striking out 5 times more than he walks and has a OBP less than .300 .He is basically doing the same things that Grichuk got crucified daily for except that Garcia is having those struggles at Memphis instead of Stlouis.As for Mercado ranked higher than ONeill..i question that also.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This should bring Bob Reed back out from the shadows… 😉

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Law is higher on Montero than most and lower on Reyes than I would probably be, but he definitely gets stars in his eyes when it comes to system rankings. I don’t think it’s a terribly unfair take, given that I don’t think he would rate O’Neill as a prospect (?) and he’d be an easy top 100 guy if they did.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have a hard time accepting that ranking. I understand we on this board may be a little biased but I seriously doubt these national publications have as much insight into every player in the Cardinal system as this board does.

Of course by using my logic maybe they underestimate other organizations as well but I just think we have some players at the lower levels that are flying under the radar and will end up being much better than the national folks realize.

14NyquisT
    Participant

gsc…. I agree on all points.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As we have speculated before, the Cards do well in volume but less in top end talent. That is why they have just two players on the majority of the top 100s that have come out, when a “fair share” would be three.

Interestingly, in this specific case, Law has a third Cardinal in the top 100. He is the only one so far to think that highly of Montero, placing him #64. (BA was the only other one to have Montero as a top 100 prospect.)

My take is that the Cardinals pitching below Memphis is a major concern. While readily admitting I do not know the other 29 systems well enough to rank them, that is probably a good enough reason for the Cards to be in the teens overall, IMO.

I can assure you that most every fan base whose farm system is not in the top 10 feels their organization was not evaluated fairly. That is how these things roll.

PadsFS
    Participant

I think the pitching in Springfield should be good as well if some of the STL guys begin in Memphis, pushing the Memphis guys to Springfield.

I mean, if Reyes, Gomber, and Poncedeleon end up in AAA, then there won’t be room for all of Jones, Kruczynski, Woodford, and Cabrera.

Either way, Oviedo is the guy that really needs to establish himself.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Jones is a reliever. There is no way Cabrera is going back to Springfield. Kruczynski only has six career Double-A starts so making Memphis immediately is not necessary. He is the only one of that list I can see starting at Double-A.

Oviedo will be at Palm Beach.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This guy has not been actively writing for some time, but I assume he still follows the system.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.