Josh Donaldson thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Josh Donaldson thread

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 437 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The Redbirds better not empty the trade tank and “settle” for Donaldson until things have been completed in the Stanton Sweepstakes. Stanton is, in my mind, obviously the #1 target for the Cardinals this offseason.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My opinion is the winners of the Stanton sweepstakes will be LADodgers.Dodgers get Stanton and Marlins get Jack Pedersen OF,Toles OF,Avilan RP and Cesar Hernandez 2B.Something like that Marlins get rid of Stanton`s salary and get a solid bullpen arm Avilan, young solid inf Hernandez and 2 OFs Pedersen,Toles.Mostly young and cheap.

bccran
    Participant

It depends on how much leadership he brings. Cards are looking for that in any veteran player they pick up. It sure helped with Berkman.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From D Goold:

“The Cardinals also intend to re-engage with Toronto about third baseman Josh Donaldson. A former MVP, Donaldson would offer a bridge to a better free-agent pool, which this winter is headlined by Martinez.”

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/infused-with-cash-and-prospects-cards-front-office-focuses-on/article_5da26231-85e3-5fe9-8e01-a862465d8852.html

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

The problem with that is that why would we rent a guy and give up a pretty penny when we could get a bridge guy that would cost us FAR less in both prospects and $…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No posts on this thread for the last two months, but it is time to get this back on the first page…

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Just say heck no to rentals

14NyquisT
    Participant

Cards will no doubt kick the tires on this rental. Uh, we still need a big bat! Maybe Donaldson will like St.Louis so much that he’ll give us that ol’ hometown discount (that so many talk about being a real) for ’18 and beyond. Maybe Molina will talk to him about it. Naturally, just kidding, but it is funny.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It would make sense for Boras to work out an extension for Donaldson if approached by a team wanting to trade for him this offseason. Many teams already have third base covered, and many other teams are getting close to the luxury tax threshold. So the market for Donaldson might not be as good as hoped for in 2018. Extending Donaldson this year would allow them both to avoid the rush in 2018. Of course, for anything to happen Toronto would have to be willing to trade Donaldson, and for him to get extended, Boras might have to ease up on his demands which might be the biggest obstacle to getting something done. But, all in all, the possibility of Donaldson getting moved seems real despite Toronto’s
    declaration that ‘It is hard to imagine how trading Donaldson could help us get better’.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Depending on who Toronto wants I think the Cards should be all over Donaldson. Who cares if he only has one year left? We shouldn’t have to give up anyone that we would really miss anyway. I say we offer Gyroko, Grichuk, Gallen, and Hicks. We would be giving up a lot of years of control but none of those players project to be stars.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

No you don’t trade good prospects for s rental stupid stupid stupid idea

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Actually, Hicks is especially highly thought of. Rumor was that he was off the table for the Miami discussions.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No you don’t trade good prospects for s rental stupid stupid stupid idea

I thought you wanted a big bat. Blue Jays aren’t going to give him away for scraps.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

But we want a big bat for more than one year and Donaldson costs to much for just one year…

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Its not one year if Boras will extend his contract before he gets traded.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

I dont mind getting donaldson but I hope our front office doesnt panic and do something stupid.

Again.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The rub as I see it is that to get Boras/Donaldson to commit now and pass up free agency in favor of a long-term deal, the terms are going to have to be really high. After all, Donaldson has never even played in the NL, let alone St. Louis. So there sure as heck isn’t going to be a “hometown discount”. And if the Cards knock him over with a huge offer in money/years, many will say the team was stupid and overpaid.

Hard for me to see a win-win with him unless they can get him relatively cheaply for one year and roll the dice he won’t bolt like Heyward did. Let’s face it, they’d have to take a chance either way. I would prefer this gamble over an obscene contract that could be soon regretted.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Agreed completely.

One five war year is worth quite a bit… I just dont want to throw the bank at a guy on the wrong side of 30 because options are disappearing.

You know like we did last year

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

What would be the equivelent of what we gave up for one year of Heyward? Weaver+?

Donaldson is a more valuable player than Heyward was but is a much higher chance to walk than Heyward was.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

But we want a big bat for more than one year and Donaldson costs to much for just one year…

Maybe, maybe not. We don’t know what the Jays are asking for. If they are asking for players we can live without then I say do the deal.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Now, if Toronto would accept Grichuk and Wong for Donaldson, I could see a trade being made
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/12/blue-jays-interested-in-josh-harrison.html

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From Ken Rosenthal at the Winter Meetings:

#STLCards have spoken with #BlueJays about Donaldson at meetings, sources tell The Athletic. No indication a deal is close. To this point, Jays seemingly bullish about keeping Donaldson, looking to add. GM Atkins mentioned Jay Bruce, CarGo as possible fits to reporters today.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/940727035806343168

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nightengale is pumping up the Donaldson speculation with an interesting twist.

The #STLCards have been pursuing #Bluejays 3B Josh Donaldson much stronger than #Orioles Manny Machado, perhaps in part because they’d have a much better chance to lock up Donaldson to long-term extension.

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/942881671275094016

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

The problem with Donaldson though is how long is long term for him, given that he’s like 32 already I’m not sure how long you’d want to sign him for anyway as he’s probably only got like 3 good years or so left…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Choose how and where you are going to overpay. Hard for me to see how it can be avoided.

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 437 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.