Josh Donaldson thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Josh Donaldson thread

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 437 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

That’s our existing lineup, BN. The only ones under .800 OPS are Yadi and Wong.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

… And our existing lineup sucked for half the year.

Decent. We didn’t make the playoffs.

Most people tend to want to upgrade when those two facts are put together.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

…. And I will repeat.

We have depth. Using it via trade to upgrade is proper usage rather than letting it sit there.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Agree, and that includes Kelly

bccran
    Participant

Do you think our existing lineup “sucked” the first half of the season because of some of the players who underperformed and were replaced by better performers in the second half?

NJ315
    Participant

Keep that mediocre offense and you will find the team in the same spot next year. That’s assuming Gyorko and DeJong will keep theirs above .800 Maybe DeJong will I don’t think so but that’s just my opinion. Gyorko career OPS is .734

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

To me kelly is upgrading us… By staying. Our backup catcher ab’s have been so pathetic for so long … We were so far negative I’m not sure I even want to look at the stats to see how bad it was for WAR when yadi didnt play

Imo kelly gives us 3 more wins just by staying and starting 60 games.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

… And yes bccran I do believe that we improved by replacing bad players.

You know… The ones I wanted to deal away at the dealine and you were yelling so loudly for us to deal for instead of away…

I wanted addition by subtraction. We pretty much got it in spite of ourselves.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think we missed the playoffs because of Wainwright, Rosenthal, Oh, and Cecil. All veterans. Whoever would have thought that all of these players would have flopped the way they all did?

NJ315
    Participant

Wainwright?? He was 12-5 that’s a .706 winning percentage. He knows how to win so you can’t possibly blame him.

bccran
    Participant

Mudville is right.

BN –

How about this in the first 1/2 of the season –

Diaz – .694 OPS and .295 OBP in 263 PAs
    Fryer – OPS of .474. 3 xtra base hits in 83 PAs
    Peralta – OPS of .462. No extra base hits in 58 PAs
    Adams – 2 doubles and 1 HR in 53 PAs

Think that has something to do with it.

Maybe it we had DeJong, Martinez, Gyorko (hurt), and Wong (hurt) full a full season it might make a difference?

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Of course it would… If they produce that way.

… Or we could have massive failures. Again. And be stuck with a bloated roster. Again.

That actually brings up another point… Or an extension of my main one. What to do with diaz… And rosenthal. And kelly. And all these other blocked players that we have.

The whole point here is to eliminate weaknesses by making deals. We have depth. Dump fowler… Bader sierra and others. Dump pham… We have O’Neill. Yes they may be a downgrade… Maybe…

You don’t know.

But the one thing you do know is your stagnant roster failed. Ddoing the same thing again is stupidity.

bccran
    Participant

Should we maybe factor in that DeJong had zero plate appearances in April and only 11 plate appearances in May? And that Martinez had 42 plate appearances in April, only 18 in May, and hit .329 with a .960 OPS in the second half?

NJ315
    Participant

You have a team full with average players and those are the results you will get middle of the pack in the standings. I am not sure what your obsession with DeJong is. The jury still out on him.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

I am not necessarily for or against trading dejong btw… Just pointing out his value may have peaked… Or not.

He has the hitting profile to pull a diaz next year. Lots of k’s. The difference is when he hits things they go places… But it is still a worry and one with merit.

If he is hitting sixth or seventh? Im good with going with him. If he is hitting third fourth or fifth not so much. His hot streaks will carry us if he is not in the heart of the lineup. His cold streaks will kill us if he is.

So my opinion of him is dependent on what else we do. If we arent going to go get some thunder we need to deal him while his value is high.

He will get some pretty solid value.

Believe it or not I am ok with diaz coming back. Or sosa end of year getting a call.

That’s what depth is for… to allow you to deal away value to get true need. We are not using it as it is intended right now.

bccran
    Participant

Sosa is about 5th in the SS pecking order right now.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Diaz was hitting .260 when he was sent down. Who’s to say he might have ended up turning things around and ending up hitting .280 or above, about where DeJong is.

I’m not sure why we want to give up on Diaz???

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree that Wainwright knows how to win although there are many that believe that there is no such thing as ‘knowing how to
    win’. And no one can argue with them. But we have to take into account that Waino has been off the grid for quite awhile. If he had kept winning, we might be still be in contention. The veterans are the ones who let us down this year, and not just the pitchers, either, as Cranny pointed out.

bccran
    Participant

Our biggest problem has been that neither Grichuk or Piscotty has turned into any semblance of a “big bat”. It’s frustrating to see Grichuk still have almost zero plate discipline and continue to whiff at low sliders and high 4 seamers. And to see Piscotty look like the former shell of himself.
    High hopes for O’Neill,
    though. I think he has a lot more overall potential.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

My point with sosa is exactly that he is like 5th on the depth chart right now.

Our depth is ridiculous. Dealing something like five players for one TWICE would make a dent but just about anything short of that won’t even make us bat an eye.

When you’re 20+ players deep on your prospect list and find a guy like seferina who will probably make a big league roster in the next 18 months and do well?

Trust me, your depth has entered the stupid area. In a good way.

bccran
    Participant

Good depth, but a lot of good prospects and very few true difference makers. Honest question. Whom are you really excited about possibily making a difference at the major league level? I can come up with Reyes, Weaver, Flaherty, Hudson, and O’Neill. Any more?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

The bright side is that very few predicted Dejong would be the difference maker he is. Pham either. So while a difference maker may not be apparent, it doesn’t mean they don’t exist.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I have always been high on Pham. You could see he always had the speed, power and athleticism. Plus he is a high character guy. His main issue was staying healthy, and getting the chance to play every day.

DeJong is a better glove than Diaz, although he looks like Grichuk at times at the plate. You hope he gets better, but less Ks and more BBs would have given me more confidence.

Weaver looks like he will be a difference maker for a few years, but also looks like a future TJ surgery guy.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Now I did pine for a Dejong call up earlier than he was originally called up. Now that doesn’t mean I don’t think there will be a regression to an under .800 ops guy because that’s exactly what I think we will see. What we don’t want is for him to have a Diaz rapid decent. I think think Dejong is a average defender at best. He seems to have a deer in headlights look on hard hit balls and is slow to react.

Back to Donaldson! I think this is the guy the Ownership would sign off on a deal for. It would take Gyorko and and likely eithr Grichuk or Piscotty and 1-2 prospects but it’s sure worth the investment.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Worth one season and then he leaves via free agency because we won’t pay him enough…sorry but I don’t want a rental…

Viewing 25 posts - 76 through 100 (of 437 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.