Josh Donaldson thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Josh Donaldson thread

Viewing 25 posts - 326 through 350 (of 437 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Folks need to remember that there is a new inhibitor to July trades. If the Jays trade Donaldson then, they give up the first rounder when he signs elsewhere as a free agent. And the new team does not get it, either. So that gets added into the cost of acquiring him.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

That is why the trade package for Donaldson would have be an overpay to acquire him if Toronto would be interested in trading him which I don’t think they will.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They will trade him if they feel like getting prospects for him in July is better than getting nothing in return during the offseason.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar, I think you missed the point. They do not get nothing in return for him in the off-season. They get a first-round draft pick.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Correct. That is why I think they will be motivated to trade him in July, provided they are not in contention.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If the Cardinals acquired him at any time before the end of this season, he would surely be a rental only. His agent is going to be looking for 5-6 years and megamillions. Its almost unimaginable that our front office would give that kind of contract to a 33 year old player. Besides, the consensus seems to be that DeJong is our third baseman of the future, and Munoz our shortstop.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar, I am still confused by your comments.

mud, I agree with you with one exception. It is too early in his time with the organization to proclaim Munoz as the next shortstop. I think he has the capability and it would be great if he steps up and takes the job, though. (Early non-official report from camp is that he looks chubby.)

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i think it is a stretch to think Munoz is even more than a backup SS…which isnt a bad thing his body and build looks a lot like Diaz and i have a hard time thinking he moves much differently (though i am excited to see)

he didnt play full time SS last year at AA and AAA…mayeb he was blocked maybe he wasnt …i dont watch minor league A’s games…i cant say

what i do think is that if he was in OUR system last year we wouldnt be so confident about his SS ability as it looks a lot like other play ever where players we have seen

Sosa seems our closest real SS…even though i liked Meija brief stint last year there…just wish i coudl feel as good about his bat…even though it didnt look terrible in his brief time..

14NyquisT
    Participant

Munoz’ stock has been trending down since the original hype after his acquisition. He was placed at #14 on our prospects list. VEB’s A.E. Schafer placed him @ #15, EBO #13. So those are some rankings that now seem a bit high since there is some reports of him being a bit pudgier than most perceived him to be. Now there is some info about him being more of a 3B than a SS. Some of his performance at ST will prove or disprove these notions.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian, I was basing my comments on the Jays keeping Donaldson all year, offering him the QO, and receiving a pick vs. trading him in July and getting a nice haul of players in return. That is of course assuming Donaldson can still be offered the QO, as I recall it can now only be offered once in a player’s career.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

There are pudgy pics of Ozuna going around as well. Do we downgrade him as well?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Jager, yes, Munoz was blocked by two national top 100 prospects, both A’s shortstops, one at Double-A and one at Triple-A last year.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here is a shot with Ozuna and Ozzie. Ozuna looks pretty normal to me, same as at Winter Warm-Up last month. (Munoz was not there.)

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Meet the #1 1B free agent to be.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I read this article, worried about the potential of replacing the name “Josh Donaldson” with “Matt Carpenter”. Further, can folks imagine the uproar if the Cards had landed Donaldson in trade this past winter?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/04/blue-jays-place-josh-donaldson-on-10-day-dl.html

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Too early to know the severity of Donaldson’s ailment but if things don’t get better he might have to play 1B or be a DH. A lot can happen between now and July 31 though. Toronto won’t trade him as long as they are a contender anyway.

Besides, I doubt if Donaldson’s bad arm or shoulder was the reason we didn’t trade for him. It was because Toronto wouldn’t do it.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Dan Szymborski of ESPN (insider article) has estimated top free agent contracts for this coming fall. For Donaldson, he has five years, $135 MM. Would anyone here bite on that?

https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/23188361/projecting-paydays-next-year-top-free-agents

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If he comes back and shows that he still has an arm…probably. But we would need to move at least one, likely two of Carpenter, Gyorko, Wong and Martinez to make it a better fit.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Not at all due to his age, the money, and a possible weak arm, he’d have to play 1st for us if anything…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would not pay $27M per year for five years for someone entering their age 33 season. Donaldson is really hitting free agency at an old age. Harper and Machado will be 26. I would give that amount for Machado but I’m sure he will want a 10 year $300M deal.

Maybe we can hope Arenado hits FA in a couple of years. Highly unlikely though.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

If he can still play 3rd, I’d be willing to give him close to that.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Maybe we can hope Arenado hits FA in a couple of years. Highly unlikely though.

Arenado is a free agent next year

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Arenado will be a free agent in 2020. (Winter of 2019)

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Doubt I would go that high for Donaldson, but it would depend on what he does this year. If he continues to play in the 5-7 WAR range in ’18, it would be tempting to get him. But you would hope to go only 3 or 4 years on a contract.

Viewing 25 posts - 326 through 350 (of 437 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years