Greg Holland Thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Greg Holland Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 248 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bob Nightengale tweets that the Cards “plan to pounce” on Holland once he declines his option and officially becomes a FA.

Thoughts?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

When was the last time Cards paid market price for a closer?

When was the last time Nightengale got a Cardinal rumor right?

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Id rather have Nicasio, The japenese guy, a stop gap starter on a 1-2 year deal and get Stanton.

I’ll die laughing if the miss on Stanton and bowties big move is Holland. He’d have to almost get someone like Jay Bruce then. Which would be mixed reviews.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Unbelievable that a relief pitcher, even a closer, would turn down $15M for one year. But then, the Yankees are paying Aroldis Chapman $17M/yr. Just guessing. But maybe Boras is expecting to get Holland signed for 3-4 years for $15M/yr. The idea that anyone, except possibly Scott Boras, would say the Cardinals will be in on a deal like that is ludicrous, especially after Mozeliak just said that he doesn’t want to ‘pay retail’ for a closer.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No, please. Nicosia at 5M or even Tui to audition is preferable. 15M for a multiyear player pitching 80 innings a year who has injury risk and a late year melt down is horrible.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

If I was Holland I would opt out. Even if I only get 3/36. Even Boras knows how fragile relievers are.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Welcome back, Mrperkins. Haven’t seen you in a while.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Chapman, Melancon, and Kimbrel all have big deals and I’m sure Davis is about to get one too. I’m not sure I would put Holland in that category. If he wants that kind of contract I would pass. It would be better to bring back Nicasio, sign Rosy to a two year deal, and see what Alcantara can do. Also, Lyons is pretty solid and maybe Cecil will bounce back.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This is just one of your points, but as we discussed in the rumors thread and I expanded upon in a subscriber article I wrote last week, I believe that signing Rosenthal to a two-year deal is highly unlikely – for a number of reasons.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Alcantara is from what I’ve seen in limited work is extremely raw and needs another season in the minors.

Rosey isn’t getting a deal injured unless it’s discounted.

If I’m bowtie and am looking to double up I’d look at Nicasio and the guy from Japan on a 2 year deal.

PadsFS
    Participant

I feel like our team has a pretty high floor, but a low ceiling. With that in mind, any change, even incremental, can have huge ramifications to our playoff hopes. In this scenario, I don’t mind spending a lot on relief pitching. It’s the last place where we can have a large bump without fundamentally changing the team.

PadsFS
    Participant

Alcantara can be a really effective starter. He should stay as such until he proves he can’t do the job.

Why not Nicasio and Holland? I actually like Addison Reed a lot too.

Right now, our bullpen consists of Cecil, Lyons, Bowman, Brebbia, Sherriff, Tuivailala, Gant, Lucas, and Alcantara.

That’s not a good bullpen at all, even if you end up putting Reyes or Flaherty in it.

PadsFS
    Participant

I think Boone Logan is a good bounce-back candidate. I’d say the same of Zach Duke, but I don’t know that I want to go down that road again.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You didnt like Duke Pads??

i thought he did well in his time with us…id be interested to see him for a whole year

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Pads, you dont think this team needs big changes? At a minimum it needs to be shaken up. Not sure how you do that without personnel changes.

PadsFS
    Participant

We probably need to add one significant piece to the lineup and use our depth to fill the holes, but I don’t think adding a Donaldson, Martinez, or Stanton really shakes things up.

My point was more that we aren’t losing anyone significant to free agency, etc. Lynn is replaced internally and all our other free agents weren’t significant pieces anymore or already out the door. Our lineup and pitching staff is basically set already. We would only be upgrading if we acquired someone else, rather than filling major holes like SS in 2014, RF in 2015, SP in 2016, or CF last offseason.

Jager, I didn’t care for Duke this time around. He looked finished to me, but it could’ve been the TJ surgery.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

My point is you maybe able to create a contender by adding a significant piece or two or it may also require swapping out some attitudes.

PadsFS
    Participant

At this time though, I do consider the bullpen a weakness for 2018. We should shoot for a couple high-end guys. From 2016 to now, we lost our 7th (Siegrist), 8th (Rosenthal), and 9th (Oh) inning guys, plus had our newcomers perform poorly or get injured (Cecil and Duke).

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I feel if anything is done in addition to Stanton we’ll have to deal either Gyorko, Wong or Piscotty to make it work. I think Stanton, Nicasio and Hirano is about the limit.

858booyah
    Participant

Free
    PadsFS
    Participant

They mentioned Gregerson, Neshek, and Cishek as other options. Haha.

Addison Reed seems like the way to go. I also like that Herrera for Diaz deal they shot out (another Royal)

Mrperkins
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks for the welcome back Mr Walton. I only log in on my phone and I seemed to be blocked by a server issue for some time. Glad to be back.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I’d rather have Cishek than Nicasio for the same money.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

what about snagging Ziegler form the Marlins

as part of a bigger deal for one of the outfielders OR just by himself…

i am sure they’d like to move his salary

a Stanton Ziegler deal would be nice…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 248 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.