Giancarlo Stanton thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Giancarlo Stanton thread

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 621 total)
  • Author
    14NyquisT
    Participant

thej wrote: (and this is just an example)
    “…. and Waino’s money coming off the books after 2018 helps as well”.

Many, many long term deals wind down with avid fans hardly being able to wait for the contract to end. So “coming off the books” is a phrase heard more and more. I know that the length of the contract is a major factor to get players to sign, but in the end we can’t wait for them to leave so that there is money to actually improve the team. Some are let go before the end of the contract and the money is gone anyway. That’s present day Baseball 101.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I didnt say that or feel that way at all…

I love Waino…i have one jersey and it is his…and i wear it

I said off the books because the way injuries are piling up on him and his woes this last year I just dont think he will want to keep playing after next year nor do i think we have really planned for him to stay after next year…whether we WANT him to or not…

If it was up to me…i would LOVE to have Waino for another year if he was pitching well and was healthy…he is one of the great Cardinals pitchers and is a model for how we want our pitchers to act on and off the field

I do not regret one dollar the team has invested in him whether he plays one more inning or not, i will be happy every day he is on the team

my remark about his salary coming off the books is just a fact of the end of his contract…if it was Holliday or Gyorko or Fowler or Carpenter or CMart it woudl all be the same…

as per Waino..it is about 20million dollars coming off the book…which is why i said it…which is because we were discussing finances…and while taking on a lot of salary next year might push us up a bit farther than we want…Waino’s big 20million coming off would definitely reduce the impact over a longer stretch

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m not sure it works that way Jager. Yes, Waino’s $19.5M comes off the books but not until 2019. Next year’s payroll would be severely inflated by taking on all of that Marlin salary. And fans would focus on the 2018 payroll that might be $160-170M. Then in 2019 when the Waino salary is gone what if the payroll dropped down to $150-155? Would the fans remember that the Cards planned it this way all along or would they say the front office is being cheap by allowing the payroll to drop from 2018 to 2019?

The point is once the payroll reaches a certain level it is difficult for the front office to reduce it the next year w/o taking a lot of PR flak. Most likely the fans would say reinvest that $19.5M into another player instead of using it to reduce the overall payroll.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Waino’s salary Comes off in 2019 but raises will add +/- $28 million in 2019.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Waino’s salary Comes off in 2019 but raises will add +/- $28 million in 2019.

Really? I don’t see where that number is coming from. I’m seeing around $13M in raises for 2019 then a $19.5M decrease from Waino. Of course, that is before any arbitration increases which would be a little difficult to predict this far out.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Arbitration raises aren’t that hard to predict. Sure, there is the occassional injury case such as Rosy but usually if that happens you have to spend to replace that production (sometimes more than the arb figure for the player lost).

I predicted the following arb raises. Wacha $4.5mm, Pham $4mm, Grichuk $2.5mm, Lyons $2mm, Garcia $1mm, Bowman $1mm. That totals $15mm. Obviously not exact but not far off.

Even if not exact, the Wainwright expiring contract will more than be offset by raises if they want to keep the current team together. That is before any upgrades.

PadsFS
    Participant

Yeah, salaries go up by:

Carpenter: 1.0
    Pham: 4.0??
    Gyorko: 1.5
    Grichuk: 3.5??
    Wong: 2.5
    Piscotty: 6.0
    Diaz: 2.5??
    Wacha: 3.0?
    Lyons: 1.0?

CC must have higher arb salaries projected than I do for a few of these guys.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

werent we willing to go over our normal budget figures and planning for PRice and Pujols and Heyward…even Luis Robert woudl have pushed things way up…

I think the opportunity of Stanton outweighs the yearly impact due to his performance and age…whether the fans remember it or not the justification is the same…the money will balance itself out….if that is the prime concern which id think is the point when doign a budget…i dont think they make the budget as ahrd and fast line it is just a guideline…and a goal…but the longterm budget is more important…i guess unless they were wanting to sell or something

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yeah, salaries go up by:

Carpenter: 1.0
    Pham: 4.0??
    Gyorko: 1.5
    Grichuk: 3.5??
    Wong: 2.5
    Piscotty: 6.0
    Diaz: 2.5??
    Wacha: 3.0?
    Lyons: 1.0?

CC must have higher arb salaries projected than I do for a few of these guys.

Well there is a good chance that half of the guys on that list won’t even be on the roster by 2019 so we are all shooting in the dark.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Pads, I listed my arb figures in the post above yours.

A couple of corrections. Gyrko goes up by $4mm next year. Diaz wont even be arb eligible in 2019 (though possibly super 2 but I dont think so). Garcia and Bowman will also be arb eligible in 2019.

PadsFS
    Participant

I see it now. I posted what they will make more than what they make in 2018. I think Diaz will be super 2 if on the roster all year.

Gyorko makes $9.0M in 2018, with the Padres paying $2.5M (balance of $6.5M for the Cardinals) and then he makes $13.0M in 2019 with the Padres paying $5.0M (balance of $8.0M for the Cardinals)

2016 – $4.0M
    2017 – $6.0M
    2018 – $6.5M
    2019 – $8.0M
    2020 – $13.0M Option

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Buster Olney echoes an earlier report.

“Marlins communicated to other teams they are open to offers for Giancarlo Stanton, Dee Gordon, Martin Prado. For now, not Yelich or Ozuna.”

https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/926568030053773312

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

What are we waiting for?????

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Who says we are the ones waiting?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Buried in a Peter Gammons article about the Red Sox is this about Stanton:

“…the Cardinals have reportedly made one of their best young pitchers available if the Derek Jeter ownership will take back some of the money…”

That is all he says about the Cardinals, though.

https://www.gammonsdaily.com/peter-gammons-after-due-celebration-alex-cora-will-quickly-refocus-on-boston/

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

I wonder which pitcher they mean…and I’d hope that if we got Stanton that we didn’t view his addition as all that we needed to do, Pujols was helped a lot by Edmonds and Rolen and Holliday and such and we don’t have any of those guys at the moment…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

“One of the best” could be one of about six guys.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Anybody but Alex Reyes. He is intouchable.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Stanton won’t be coming to St. Louis if the Marlins don’t take back some money. I suspect that whatever money the Marlins do take back on Stanton’s contract will one way, or another, be coming out of Loria’s pocket, if it hasn’t already. There is always the possibility that some ‘mystery team’ will emerge that is willing to take on the whole Stanton contract. But that seems very unlikely so far.

Agree that Alex Reyes is untouchable.

Would love to see a trade that includes Gordon. Hope we don’t have to take Prado as part of a deal.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

It could end up being a one for one…??? interesting if so.

unconvinced that would get it done but who knows…

(As always) I still stand by the assertion that his contract is cheap… No matter the sticker cost. One great year and he shoves a very good team into a world series contender. Players like they are worth every penny and then some… Especially to a team with no shortage of very good players but no great ones.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

The Marlins wouldn’t ask for a pitcher coming off TJ would they?

I would take Prado btw! Wanted him last year and he can play multiple positions and is a clubhouse guy this team needs. IMO they could flip Gyorko or Carpenter for a starter.

And I agree with the poster on what the freaking hold up is? Everything is pointing in our direction to get this done. Lets get it done before someone else does.

It’s time to recapture the glory! Git er done Dewitt!

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have been thinking that it looks more and more that the chance of Stanton being traded to the Cards are getting a little better.I think it would be somewhat of a surprise if DeWitt took on Stantons contract ( even if Miami paid just 5 million a year).I do think DeWitt realizes that trading for Stanton would cause a increase in fan interest and sales revenue.It would energize the fanbase and the players .If acquiring Stanton thje Cards according to rumors would offer a young pitcher an another young cheap player or two.A Stanton trade likely means Grichuk/Piscotty /Bader/Sierra/ONeill/Mercado are trade options.
    I would rather trade Sierra/Piscotty/Grichuk/Mercado and keep O`Neill and Bader.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

They’ll want power for power for sure.

I think they want Reyes but they’ll settle for a Flaherty, O’Neil, Grichuk combo.

Honestly its all about money that this point.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

They’ll want power for power for sure.

I think they want Reyes but they’ll settle for a Flaherty, O’Neil, Grichuk combo.

Honestly its all about money that this point.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Id really like to keep hold of ONeill…but if that is what it took id be ok with it…Stanton makes the lineup scary immediately… and the money isnt really bad comparatively to his potential production and other salaries

Id be fine with Flaherty, Oneill, Grichuk

I want to hold ONeill as a replacement for the other outfielders as each has a history of injuries…and while PIscotty is an option too…i think we should/could move him this offseason too

Also.. IMO…i think the Fish want pitching more than replacing outfielders…maybe a SS

I offer up Flaherty, Gomber, Grichuk, Sosa…and they eat some money…some good money…and not all of it post opt out…
    they get:
    -replacement outfielder for Grichuk
    -1 ready to go young starter
    -1 almost ready to go starter
    -a good SS prospect

that is a lot of value for the money they would eat as well as the player they are losing

if it is all about money right now i think showing we can get the MLB ready players to fill holes as well as having good upsides should ease their concern about eating some of the money

i hate feeling like we NEED to get anyone…but the more and more i look at it Stanton really seems like the perfect fit for what we are lacking, and the way the fish match up with hus seems too good to pass up…the money isnt even that bad…we shoudl get plenty of WAR before the opt out to make up for the end of contract woes IMO

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 621 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.