Giancarlo Stanton thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Giancarlo Stanton thread

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 621 total)
  • Author
    LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Stanton would certainly help the team though we’d need more than just him…

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I agree Logan. And the return of Alex Reyes is a big part of that – hopefully.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Agree. Alex Reyes has the potential to be a star player. People tend to ignore that when they talk about how the organization hasn’t produced any star players. Obviously, he has not proven anything yet.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Reyes had 2.1 fwar in less than 50 innings. If he can duplicate that over 200+ innings that is Kershaw+ territory. Cy Young winning numbers. Can he do that over extended innings? Coming off surgery? Or can he do even better with more experience?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Granderson could be a Berkman/Beltran pickup in terms of value. He is slightly different in that more of his value comes from defense than either of the other two. That may not fit with the impact bat we need though.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I have no issues in doing what it takes to get Stanton. I don’t think he’d be here past 2020 though. I don’t have an issue with Getting Donaldson as a rental for a year if he became available. Machado would be a solid rental if the price wasn’t too steep. However what I’m afraid of is us not having a plan B in case we strike out on Stanton or Donaldson because I feel if we did we need at least 2 FA signing.

I am totally down with Bruce as a plan B. He strikes me more of a cleanup guy han Machado and drives in runs. He’s defense is marginal but he’s got a cannon and it’s accurate. If we signed him to a 3 year deal I wouldn’t bat an eyelash. However I’d take a strong look at Eduardo Nunez as well on a 1-2 year deal with Bruce. Teams might see him as damaged goods after the knee issue but he’s hit the past couple seasons, has some speed, a little pop and can play 3 inf and LF if needed. I’m a fan of hedging your bets and this guy can be a little insurance for the minf and maybe a spot starter in LF. With that fox tv money. It’s time to improve the talent and get some depth and this move with Bruce would improve it. Plus you may be able to still keep Jedd as a platoon for Carpenter and Wong and put him in a role that suits him or u could trade him for a rotation guy or some help in the pen if it came down to it.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

So, one former GM says the cost to acquire Stanton would be a starting OF, a top level pitching prospect and a mid-tier pitching prospect:
    https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article177698496.html

So, a trade of Piscotty, Flaherty & Gomber for Stanton, with Miami paying at least $5 million per year over the last 5 years.

Cardinals trade Stanton at age 33 or 34 and also kick in $5 million per year over last 4-5 years, so the AL team that acquires him to be the DH then gets a $10 million discount.

If the Cardinals can pay $17 million to make Mike Leake go away, they can pay $25 million to trade Stanton when he is 33 or 34.

PadsFS
    Participant

What do you think is realistic for the marlins to expect back if they take on none of Stanton’s salary?

Jason Martinez
    Even if they can clear the entire salary, I have to think they’d land at least one Top 50 prospect. This is why I don’t think the Giants have any chance.

https://www.jotcast.com/chat/mlbtr-live-chat-with-jason-martinez-october-18-2017-2658.html

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I thought it was more interesting that this guy uses 18 months for the TJS recovery. Most people here want to use 12-15 for Reyes.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It was only nine months for Duke, so the cases are clearly all over the map.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

And it was less than a year for Lynn, correct? Didn’t he have it in November of 2015 and was back pitching in August of 2016?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Hard to believe they thought Lynn was fully recivered when they wouldn’t even bring him up for releif help in the middle of the wild card chase.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

FWIW MLB trade rumors says Miami wants to cut payroll down to around 90 million .That`s a lot smaller cut than was previously mentioned.Earlier figure i read said Marlins wanted to cut payroll down TO a total of 60 million.Heck of a difference.If it stays around 90 million instead of 60 million then Marlins will be tougher to deal with.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

According to bookmaker Bovada.lv, Stanton is the current betting favorite to win the NL MVP. Sell high, they say…

Giancarlo Stanton 2/3
    Paul Goldschmidt 2/1
    Joey Votto 11/2
    Nolan Arenado 12/1
    Corey Seager 16/1
    Justin Turner 20/1
    Charlie Blackmon 25/1
    Anthony Rendon 50/1

Jose Altuve and Corey Kluber are the huge favorites in the AL for MVP/Cy. Max Scherzer has a slight edge over Clayton Kershaw for NL Cy.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

This is all well and good but my main concern is that Stanton wins the NL MVP award next year when he is with the Redbirds.

r/Rat

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Heard on the radio today that the Red Sox are the latest buzz regarding Stanton.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Latest article from Miami Herald beat writers has the Marlins wanting to trade Stanton, Dee Gordon and Martin Prado to make Jeter’s payroll target. Because Prado is likely untradeable without paying much of his salary, the team may have to cut deeper – meaning trade another they prefer to keep. That next group includes Yelich and Ozuna.

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article181739531.html

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Prado deal is pretty bad. But he had a lost year. He has a history of a good contact bat and good defense. Not much power but some versatility.

I’d be happy to take on all 3 of them and maybe snag Ziegler too.

Id even eat a lot of money to pay less in prospects. The Prado deal is bad if he’s done but the others are workable with good players.

We could then maybe move Wong and Piscotty. Maybe even Gyorko. Maybe in a deal for Simmons? Or a deal for Archer or Stroman

Taking on those contracts allows for us to maximize the prospects and players we move for more higher level players.

I dunno. If getting Stanton and Gordon. For less prospects means taking on Prado I think it’d be worth the difficulty in doing big moves

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would consider Stanton as long as the Marlins weren’t asking for Reyes or someone like that. As for Gordon I just don’t see him as a big upgrade over Wong, especially considering the difference in salary. And we don’t need Prado at all even as a throw in. We already have a cheaper version of him in Gyroko and Gyroko is a better player.

PadsFS
    Participant

I don’t see how adding Gordon and losing Wong helps.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree that Prado isnt “needed” and i even agree that Gordon over Wong is marginal (though i think his contact skills and good average along with his MLB leading SB ability is pretty exceptional, and that we coudl potentially MOVe wong and his good value for other pieces is intriguing)

my interest in them primarily comes with lessening the impact of the prospects required to get Stanton

Maybe we can get Stanton’s contract to come down a lot more (make it centered around them taking on salary from the post opt out years, which might be very enticing since he may opt out no matter what…thus their loss is potentially nothing…however the Cardinals gamble a little bit by getting the post opt out years to be a more reasonable salary if he does NOT opt out)

This clears money right now for the Marlins as we take on the Stanton and Prado and Gordon contracts now. We protect ourselves from the negative impact of a huge contract long term while taking on some shorter term contracts that arent so great BUT are shorter AND we save from having to lose the best prospects, so we can either use them OR use them to get other important parts OR help to facilitate other trades to move contracts.

THe Marlins also only potentially are affected by the money they have to eat until later when potentially the Marlins are in a healthier position to deal with salaries.

money seems to be the big player with the MArlins…and i think it will come down to who will take on the most…whether in just Stantons contract OR by taking on PRado and Gordon too

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Acquiring Stanton, Martin, and Prado would add $50m to the payroll next year minus whatever the Marlins would eat and whatever players the Cards moved. And that is before we spent any money to address the rotation and bullpen. I just don’t see our front office taking on a big chunk like that nor should they.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

that assumes we wouldnt move Wong, Piscotty, Gyorko or maybe even Fowler…and Waino’s money coming off the books after 2018 helps as well

taking on that salary…and putting a trade package for Archer and Colome or Stroman and Osuna including some of the above along with some good prospects would be the type of deal of saving top flight prospects for would make it worth it…you could potentially also include Ziegler in the Marlins deal too to save money for the Marlins while also addressing our needs

i think it is one possible route for a makeover if we go that route…and taking on a lot of salary leaves us with more chips to play in getting the pieces we want…if the Marlins would take on some money post opt out it makes Stanton’s per year commitment much more palatable even in decline…Prado leaves after 2019 and Gordon on until 2021 (but still only 33)…Ziegler is old but gone after 2018

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

There’s ways to make a trade like that work. One of the biggest ones was dealing leake. If you deal fowler and say… 7 million more it could be done with room to spare… In my opinion anyway.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A lot of moving parts, but hopefully, the Cardinals are not ruling out any scenarios to make the team better.

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 621 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.