Giancarlo Stanton thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Giancarlo Stanton thread

This topic contains 617 replies, has 37 voices, and was last updated by  mudville 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 618 total)
  • Author

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Doing his part to keep interest up.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Brian,
    Have you tested the vibe in New York yet regarding Stanton? From looking at his career stats it appears if he can ever play in 150+ games he could hit 40-45 dingers, maybe more. This year he has appeared in 90 of the Marlins 91 games and is on pace for 50+ homeruns.

I’d sure like to see him in our lineup. As gscottar says, in a few years and with the new billion dollar TV deal looming, Stanton’s contract might not be all that bad.

r/Rat

Bw52
    Participant

I thought the Marlins management said Stanton isn`t going anywhere this season.Might be willing to talk trade this offseason.seems i read tthat on a trade rumor site.

14NyquisT
    Participant

You can close out the Martinez thread…. and I hope we can do the same with Stanton soon.

UConn Card
    UConn Card

Neither do I. Yikes!

Cardinals2016
    Participant

I thought this article was a good read, especially “The most realistic maneuver involves the Marlins eating some of Stanton’s contract and getting nothing (or next to nothing) in return. Not a total salary dump, but as good as they can do.”

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2722032-moving-giancarlo-stantons-325m-megadeal-is-trade-deadlines-biggest-mystery

mudville
    Participant

I imagined that this was a possibility. But it would be shocking to see it actually happen.

I was thinking that if the Marlins want to take his average salary down to no more than 25M/yr, and pay the 10M buyout, the Cardinals’ front office might go for it.

PadsFS
    Participant

I really think Stanton would be the best possible option for us moving forward. Kind of like getting an elite free agent.

Much like the Dodgers taking on all that salary back in 2012 acquiring Adrian Gonzalez, Hanley Ramirez, Carl Crawford, and Josh Beckett.

mspaid
    Participant

I’ll say this again and I’ll use very simple language. The Cardinals do NOT make big deals for big players. Holliday was the last one in in 2009. They acquire slugs, retreads and low hanging fruit. Mo’s recent acquisitions that had him “excited” about this year’s team was a mediocre starter, a decent but not good center fielder and a so so reliever. We never get the very good players and we never will. Talking about Quintana, Stanton, JD Martinez and others is a ridiculous waste of time. And now with Duke reactivated Girsch will use Mo’s old line of, “Well, with Duke coming back that’s like trading for a big time reliever so the bullpen will be fine.” This Gonzalez trade may not be the last one but it could be so don’t hold your breath for some big trade to lead us out of the wilderness.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Nate, is that you? Or did someone steal your shtick?

mspaid
    Participant

Brian:

Hi, it’s me. Still fighting the inane conversation about signing a big guy.

mudville
    Participant

This team had blown 20 saves this year so far. Only the Phillies and the Brewers have more blown saves. This team commits errors and baserunning mistakes day in and day out. Throwing money, or prospects, at big names is not going to change that. Figure out how to fix what’s broken first. Then, look at trade possibilities and free agent possibilities.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Those looking for something to criticize the Cardinals about tried to turn this into something it is not.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Doesn’t matter the Cards won’t do anything significant anyway anybody who thought they would were in a dream land

mudville
    Participant

Another reason why the St. Louis Cardinals should not take on Stanton with his insane contract and crippling history of injuries.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

The contract is onerous, but considering Stanton is currently leading MLB in home runs, it seems quite a stretch to call his injuries “crippling”.

14NyquisT
    Participant

We’ve gone through so many of these exercises looking for a superstar that we could deal for. One by one they become moot as they sign or get traded elsewhere.

PadsFS
    Participant

Hasn’t his injuries been getting hit twice at least, in the face and in the wrist?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Well, phooey! I was hoping he would land in St. Louis. Now I guess I can hope that there’s a trade swung either in August or the off-season and that he’s in St. Louis for 2018.

r/Rat

mspaid
    Participant

Rats! Rats! Wake up, you’ve been dreaming.

There now, you’re aback to reality.

Remember what I’ve been saying for years.

The Cardinals don’t make big trades. They don’t acquire quality talent.

Stanton is never coming to St. Louis.

With a few minor tweaks the roster is set for this year and next year. Get used to it and it will hurt less when they do nothing this off season.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

I just read this article on Yahoo! What are you waiting for Moz and Girsch, go get him! Weaver, Grichuk, Piscotty, Sierra, whoever, just go and get him – NOW!

The only untouchable, in my mind, is Alex Reyes.

r/Rat

gscottar
    Participant

I doubt if the Cardinals want any part of his contract. It won’t happen.

mudville
    Participant

Who wouldn’t love to see Stanton in St. Louis? The problem is that he has a history of injuries, and the last five years of his contract could be devastating to the organization. In fact, the Cardinals might even have to go into re-build mode after Stanton collects his 10 million dollar going away present, and leaves the organization at the age of 38. I’d be willing to bet that any mention of Stanton would be a non-starter in a conversation with either of the DeWitts.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Or we just trade for him, have him play for us for a couple of years and then trade him away and try to get a king’s ransom in return…

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 618 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.