Giancarlo Stanton thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Giancarlo Stanton thread

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 621 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Where does Stanton hit in our lineup?
    Carpenter
    Pham
    Fowler
    Stanton
    DeJong
    Molina
    Gyorko
    Wong

Cleanup, perhaps?

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Fowler LF
    Pham CF
    DeJong SS
    Stanton RF
    Gyorko 3B
    Molina C
    Piscotty or a trade/free agent pick up 1B
    Wong 2B
    Pitcher

Super sub Carpenter

Just thinking out load on Piscotty at 1B.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

How does Stanton end up in SF?

They are one of the rumored teams to be interested in him. A deal there would likely involve a lot of cash, which the Marlins need. And the Giants would most likely need to absorb the entire contract.

But then again, Stanton wants to go to a contender, and the Giants were terrible last year. But they still have Posey, Crawford, Bumgarner and some other decent players.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

SF also already has a Luxury Tax issue. Unless they shed other salaries, they would go much deeper into that pit with Stanton.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

I love going on msn and seeing the headline that Stanton won’t approve a trade to the Cardinals or Red Sox, the thing about that story is that in the body of the story they contradict the headline in saying that someone in the know or whatever says that he’s totally open about what team he’d be traded to…so not sure what the meaning of the headline is…

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Dejong wont hit 3rd next year if we get Stanton. If he does Matheny and Mabry are complete dopes.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Agreed. No way you put a guy who can’t draw a walk in front of Stanton. Ideally the first 3 should be Carp , Pham, Stanton, and Fowler. We’d all prefer Fowler leading off if Carp could perform lower in the order but I like having Carps high ob% leading off and a switch hitter behind Stanton for a little protection. I think the top of the lineup would be good for giving our young pitchers a lot of early leads. Molina 5th, then the random array of Martinez/Gyorko, Dejong, and Gyorko/Wong that Matheny patches together. I really hope Piscotty’s personal issue is what caused his bad year. Martinez seems to have earned a spot so I don’t think you can keep Grichuk and Piscotty unless the dreaded Pham injury strikes early in spring training. I’d really like to see Piscotty get time at first and get what we can for Gyorko while his contract still has positive value.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Nightengale says Giants are most aggressive, but no trade is close.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Giants have no prospects worth a crap, they can’t eat all the $$ without trading 1/2 their team or having a huge tax on it…don’t get it from their stand point

philcron77
    Participant

Free

Giants dont make any sense. They can’t take on the entire salary the way the club is currently constructed. They would have to move major pieces to make it work. And a trade with SF makes no sense for the Marlins as the Giants have a terrible farm system and dont have any young MLB pieces that are cost controled and actually good.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

How about a different direction (inspired by the logan morrison thread)?

Carpenter, flaherty, knizner and someone else for stanton and another big leaguer of some kind. They can then deal carpenter for more prospects. With his contract should be fairly easy.

/shrugs

What can I say… Had a moment. Not sure if it was good or bad.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Miami would probably rather have Wong than Carpenter. Having to turn around and trade Carp would be extra work for them so they would probably rather have a more straightforward trade. They seem to be wanting to move Gordon so Wong would be a cheaper alternative.

If we traded Wong I guess Carp could play 2B and Martinez/Morrision at 1B.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The thing is…the Giants have one big prospect that they don’t absolutely NEED and the MArlins would absolutely love to get

Arroyo

Marlins need a SS of the future and have nothing, Arroyo is a top prospect and could be a good guy to build around long term, pairing him with an outfielder prospect Heliot Ramos (high end but young)… would go a very long way for the Fish… they could also sell Beede and Blach as young guys with high upside despite their MLB performance so far

If the Giants decided to offer up that level of prospects…so like Arroyo, Ramos and Beede, i think the Fish would be very interested…and may be willing to eat more money due to the talent

now how the Giants pay for Stanton without paying luxury taxes…i dont know…id guess we’d see a partial salary dump of Pence (where they save a little money but have to eat a lot of it..), and then sell low on Belt and probably Span…probably looking at trying to get some young prospects to help replenish them… Moving Melancon by eating a bunch of money too woudl also help…but they have few options with him other than hoping for him to rebound

that’s a lot of moving parts for the Giants to pull it off…plus by taking on Stanton and losing other vets, what kind of team will they really have for Stanton? I know Belt and Pence and Span didnt help a lot…but they did provide some production…and with little on the farm to help and probably even less after acquiring Stanton i dont know how they sell themselves well as a playoff team to Stanton…

with the DBacks, Dodgers and ROx all on an upswing…the rotation depth of Bumgarner, Cueto, Samardjia with Posey Panik and Crawford as the offense, and a very shaky bullpen..doesnt yell to me as a team ready to compete for the division

Cardinals can offer good quality prospects, and take on salaries of other contracts for the Fish whereas the Giants woudl be difficult to just fit Stanton in at all…

I think again we match up well for a lot of reasons…finding the right combination of money, prospects, MLBers, and taking on other players is what will drag this out

im in the camp of giving up more than we probably would have to just to make the deal work…which means taking on more or all the money…i know i am in the minority there, but i think the contract is very fair for the market right now and will be better in time…even if it only goes 3 years…

Stanton and all the the salary, Ziegler+ the Fish kick in a little money…from Ziegler’s contract
    for
    Flaherty, Gomber, Grichuk, Diaz, and maybe another lower level but decent prospect

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

PRoblem is if the giants trade all those guys even with getting stanton they will be bad this year as they were last year and he doesn’t want to be apart of that

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

that’s what i said in my post…

and i agree…

still..the Giants would seemingly have to move several other players to afford him without paying taxes…if they want to go that route…and offload those prospects…it might work…if they can find some low cost FA alternatives the team woudlnt be terrible…it was just depend a lot on Stanton and POsey and Bumgarner cueto Samardjia…and probably somebody stepping up in the bullpen…

a lineup of
    Span, Crawford, Posey, Stanton, Panik, Carter (cheap FA 1b signing), Sandoval, Slater/Gorkys,Ryder etc.
    (assuming them dumping salaries of Pence, Belt, Melancon)
    that’s not too bad…even with a weak back coupel spots of Sandoval and a kid

and with 3 starters of Bum, Cueto, Samardjia…gives you a good chance 3 out of 5 games..and MOore is at least a coinflip with potential for much better…and a kid at the back end…

not terrible

the bullpen is wobbly…but Law, Dyson, Strickland have the skills…and a FA RP signing like Nicasio or something low cost would help too…

bench is pretty thin…but that can be managed

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bob Nightengale talks about the money vs. prospect scale and sees the Cards having the most flexibility. He also mentions the Cards’ rumored interest in Chris Archer from Tampa Bay.

https://www.stlbaseballweekly.com/its-a-two-team-race-nightengale/

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Well, this seems to be a dead issue for now. Can we expect things to start to heat up again around the time the Winter Meetings start the 2nd week of December? Or will this drag one until spring training?

r/Rat

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Jon Morosi reports the Cardinals have made a formal offer to the Marlins for Stanton.

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/932376577819672578

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Makes you wonder how many offers the Marlins will accept before they make their decision and how long it’ll take for them to make up their minds and for Stanton to make his decision, hopefully not to long…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Interesting dynamics. Miami may want to wait as long as possible, but the Cards will likely want a quick decision so they can shift to Plan B if necessary.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

I actually think all parties want to get this over quickly. There aren’t a bunch of teams involved. I hope and believe this could end very shortly. If some of the rumored players from St. Louis are involved I’m ok with it if some money comes back in the deal with Stanton.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

More from Morosi.

Do I think Stanton would like to play in his home state of California? Sure. But if no California team makes a compelling offer, he may be asked to decide between St. Louis and another year with rebuilding Marlins. I do not know how he would respond.

https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/932430140642009088

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Do the Cards stay in the bidding without some assurance that Stanton would at least consider a trade to the Lou? I dont think they would.

Pork Twain
    Participant

It would seem that the only way they would find out for sure is to stay in it. It is not like it is costing them anything to negotiate and make a few offers.

Viewing 25 posts - 251 through 275 (of 621 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.