Former Cardinals in the News

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Former Cardinals in the News

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 2,275 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I obviously have no way of knowing, but my guess is that at age 31 now, Rasmus is what he is.

Honestly, I am stunned he is thinking of a return. I figured he was done mentally.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I’m not sure what you mean by “he is what he is”. Are you referring to.his mental state? His baseball abilities? In any case, production wise what he is is pretty good. He had a 1.2 bwar in 121 ab’s last year. That is nearly a 4.8 WAR pace for 500 ab’s. Give me that on a minor league deal anyday.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Socolovich got rocked today!

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Colby always had the tools to be a very good centerfielder but he could never put it together. He was having his best season at the age of 30. Chances are his peak years are behind him.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

If Colby is recovered from his hip injury, no reason to think he has peaked. Last year before his injury he was having his best offensive year ever.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Kevin Siegrist, who became a free agent in the fall, couldn’t get a major league deal so had to settle for a minor league contract with the Pirates. But it includes a big league camp invitation.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I believe that Shane Robinson got the same deal with the Yanks yesterday.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

An interesting perspective.

14NyquisT
    Participant

If you want to read about Rasmus’ troubles with the Cardinals, check out Bernie’s story about them from July ’11. Its spot on.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/bernie-miklasz/article_847d9b1a-abce-11e0-a1b3-001a4bcf6878.html?oCampaign=email

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Colby is 30 years old. Metrics show players peak around their 28-29 ages. So, yes there are indicators he has peaked.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

BHC, those are not indicators he has peaked. They have nothing to do with his performance. Thay is oy an indicator that on average a player peaks at that age.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

He just his best season at the age of 30. I’m willing to wager that will his best year going forward.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Toronto, of course!

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Blue Jays need a new name.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

14NyquisT
    Participant

VEB’s John Fleming put together a piece on his selection for the greatest events in Card’s history.

The greatest home run.
    David Freese’s game-winning home run in Game 6 of the 2011 World Series
    This pick is a bit more negotiable. There were other great walk-offs—Ozzie Smith making the Busch Stadium crowd “go crazy, folks” and Jim Edmonds sending the 2004 NLCS to a seventh game, among them—and Mark McGwire’s single-season record-breaking 62nd home run are impossible to ignore. But the only World Series walk-off in franchise history came courtesy of David Freese, who had the second-most dramatic at-bat of his night.

I agree with this pick… it was awesome. However he could have put Yadi’s silencing of Shea Stadium and Jack Clark’s blast off the Dodgers as runners-up. Also vivid memorable home runs.

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/st-louis-cardinals-sabermetrics-analysis/2018/3/10/17079040/cardinals-greatest-single-double-triple-home-run-walk-strikeout-stolen-base-sacrifice-bunt-fly

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Here is an 11th event: The greatest tag out in Cardinal history. Rogers Hornsby tagging out Babe Ruth attempting to steal second, to secure the final out of the Redibrd’s first modern era World Championship in 1926.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Lynn turned down 2 years, $20M from Twins

Hindsight being what it is, he probably wishes he would have taken the one-year $17.5M from the Cardinals, and jump back into the free agent pool waters after this season.

Personally, I would have been okay with that as well. We might need him this year.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Going back to the events, Ken Boyer’s salami in game four of the 1964 World Series is incredibly significant as well, as it turned that Series around. The Cards were on their way to being down 3 games to 1 before that.

Then McCarver’s 10th inning blast in game 5 was another clutch home run. Still cannot argue with the Freese home run though. That one was incredible.

It’s great to be a fan of a franchise where it’s tough to pick the most significant home run in post season history.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I was at the Boyer’s GS game at Yankee Stadium. I can close my eyes and still see it falling into the left field stands on that sunny, fall, Sunday game. At the time my greatest baseball thrill, maybe even my greatest thrill. I was just 14.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

What a memory!

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Wow, that’s cool 14! Is the ’14” in your screen name a tribute to Boyer?

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 2,275 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years