Former Cardinals in the News

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Former Cardinals in the News

This topic contains 500 replies, has 37 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 13 hours, 2 minutes ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 426 through 450 (of 501 total)
  • Author
    mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I remember when the Cardinals drafted Robert Stock. They wanted him to pitch. They had to promise him he could be a catcher in order to get him to sign. He said he wanted to catch because then he could play every day instead of always having to wait five days before getting in a game. He was stubborn, and it took him three whole years to figure out that he wasn’t going to make it as a catcher. He couldn’t hit well enough for anybody to get interested in him as a catcher. Now he’s 29 and finally looking like he’s might have a future in MLB.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

An honor.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This came out a few weeks ago, but I did not share it. All BA content is now behind the paywall, I think.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/mlb-coach-of-the-year-brent-strom/

NJ315
    Participant

Free

Matt Adams back to the Nationals 4M. This year leave him there.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Matt Adams ‘take’ for playing baseball is now up to $15M. I’m happy for him. I always liked ‘Big City’.

Cardinals2016

Free

Great Interview with Adam Ottavino

One of the better player interviews I’ve read in a long time

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Norris is the last of the four Cardinals free agents to be unsigned.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Chihuahuas??? Who names their team the Chihuahuas? Aren’t chihuahuas those miniature weiner dogs that will nip you on the heel whenever you turn your back on them? There’s just no dignity or awe associated with them…..my sincere apologies to any unfortunate chihuahua owners out there. 99% of dog breeds are absolutely marvelous creatures. I have owned white German Shepherds since the early 90’s and won’t ever be without one again. So I see no problem with naming your team after one…… chihuahuas and toy poodles excluded. Owners need to think of their players and fans on these matters. Say the great State of Tennessee had a MLB franchise named the Tennessee Toy Poodles in Nashville. And they had a team eerily reminiscent of the 1926 Yankees. Could you ever admit to being a fan of theirs?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sugar Shane still shakin….

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Pugs, that is far from the worst name. Consider

Rocket City Trash Pandas
    Hartford Yard Goats
    Amarillo Sod Poodles

There are all real minor league teams affiliated with MLB. My guess is they are the result of fan naming contests gone awry!

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

My guess is they are the result of fan naming contests gone awry!

Brian’s guess might be right. Ref the Chihuahuas, I lifted the following quote from Wikipedia:

“A name-the-team contest was held to decide the team’s nickname. Finalists were Aardvarks, Buckaroos, Chihuahuas, Desert Gators, and Sun Dogs. The winning name was submitted by Shae Vierra. On October 22, 2013, the Chihuahuas name, logo and colors were announced.[1] The name is a reference to the Mexican State of Chihuahua, which borders El Paso, while the team logo is a growling chihuahua dog.”

I do agree with Pugs. I love dogs and my terrier is great. Chihuahuas, however, are way down the list.

Back to the topic, Craig collected $32+ million over the years. Surprised he wants to keep doing what he’s been doing for another year.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If Craig makes it back somehow, a Disney movie would follow.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sweet names, Brian! I’ve met many a goat here in America’s Dairyland. Most have been pretty neat animals, so “Yard Goats” is kind of cool. Amarillo Sod Poodles is quite strange…..maybe they meant Amarillo Sob Poodles, as any poodle I’ve met had always been cocky as heck. Amarillo Armadillos would have fit. Talk about a town I would never want to live in…..Amarillo ranks right up there with Gary, Indiana and Tucumcari, New Mexico.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As a fan of M*A*SH I will always like the Toledo Mud Hens.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good one, Scotty! How about Boston’s first major league team…..the Boston Beaneaters.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Before the University of Nebraska was the Cornhuskers, they were known as the Bugeaters.

But I think that nickname went out around 1900 or so. Good thing too! TCU’s “Horned Frogs” is not the most noble nickname. My daughter went to Evergreen State in Olympia, WA, and their nickname is the “Geoducks” – one of the weirdest looking creatures known to mankind.

The Dodgers were originally the “Trolly Dodgers”. The Indians were known as the “Naps” for a long time, and the Dodgers again were referred to as the “Robins’. Neither name inspires much honor, but they were due to being managed by the popular Nap Lajoie and Wilbert Robinson.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My Arkansas Razorbacks used to be the Arkansas Cardinals. They changed their name in 1909 when coach Hugo Bezdek claimed “they played like a bunch of wild razorback hogs.”

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Even though I am not a native St. Louisan, I always felt badly when a prominent former columnist not from the area would constantly slam the city in which he lived. Others are doing something constructive about it. A great story.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

UConn Card
    UConn Card

Paid - Annual

What a great story about Kyle McClellan and his giving back!

And what a great perspective by Ryan Sherriff

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I heard this interview driving to work this morning.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 426 through 450 (of 501 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years