Cooperstown Class of 2019

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cooperstown Class of 2019

This topic contains 86 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 76 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

TLR seems to have started another trend.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder how much the cubbies quietly paid Smith to opt for a blue cap over a red one??? If I had to guess, I’d say about 50k…..literally chicken feed in those circles.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Halladay not going in as a Blue Jay is a crying shame.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sure is, Black Hills. If any player out of these six had to go logoless, it should be Lee Smith. Like Smith, Mussina is a tough call as well, but if push came to shove, I’d have to slap an Orioles cap on him.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Number of seasons with team:

Mussina – 10 BAL; 8 NYY
    Halladay – 14 TOR; 4 PHL
    Smith – 8 CHC; 4 STL; 3 BOS; 2 LAA; 1 MON; 1 CIN; 1 NYY; 1 BAL
    Martinez – 18 SEA
    Baines – 14 CHW; 7 BAL; 3 OAK; 2 TEX; 1 CLE
    Rivera – 19 NYY

I thought Mussina would go in as an Oriole but half his stats came as a Yankee so I get the no logo. Halladay though is egregious in my opinion as virtually his entire career was as a Blue Jay. Smith should probably be no logo considering how many teams he played on and the majority of his stats came outside of Chicago. Baines best years were with White Sox so that makes since.

Sadly this no logo trendy doesn’t bode well for Pujols choosing to go in as a Cardinal when it comes to his time getting elected.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This may not sound like a very good way to go, but if you really think about it, it really makes sense…..or “cents” if you will. I think the players should not be able to select which team they will represent for HoF purposes. Just add up their yearly salaries they accrued for each team they played for and whichever team paid them the most money wins logo representation. If you go down the list of HoFers, it really does works well as far as fairness is concerned. Albert going in as an Angel would be one of the few exceptions to this just method.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I have no problem with Smith being a Cub, as that was his original team and the franchise for which he played the longest. Mussina should be an Oriole, and Halladay a Jay. The other three are correctly identified.

As for Pujols someday, he should be a Cardinal but we will see. I am sure that personally, Albert would just as soon forget his LAA years from a purely playing standpoint, as they have been mostly miserable. But from a “PC’ view, which is greatly influenced by the gigantic paychecks he has been cashing with the Angels logo on them, he will likely either go in with the infamous blacked out logo like the old Topps cards would be for traded guys, or perhaps with an Angel hat. My money is on the “no logo” look.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Indeed, BicycleMike. If you are Arte Moreno and you’re ponying up that kind of coin to Albert, wouldn’t you put a little clause in that gigantic contract stating that when he’s enshrined, that he goes in as an Angel…plus Albert has to say a few kind words in his acceptance speech touting the greatness of the man who brought him to LA.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In an ESPN Insiders article, Jay Jaffe analyzes this year’s vote and looks ahead. Next year is Jeter for sure, with both Schilling and Walker having a decent shot, he says. Bonds and Clemens might make it by their last year, 2022.

http://insider.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/25850263/mlb-lessons-learned-year-hall-fame-vote

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Berkman has a good point. Just substitute Junior Griffey for Edgar Martinez in those remarks and it could have been Jim Edmonds saying the exact same thing. Identifies a weak area in the process.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

First, the passing of Frank Robinson and now this news…

Viewing 12 posts - 76 through 87 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years