Carson Kelly called up?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Carson Kelly called up?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

FWIW:

PadsFS
    Participant

I wonder if Molina is nursing an injury from Wednesday.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Seems clear to me. The answer to one of the worst losses of the season is to fire the backup catcher! 😉

NJ315
    Participant

It is not the answer but the backup catcher should have been fired a long time ago. The answer is trade Carpenter, Lynn, Rosenthal, and Oh. Fire Matheny and re-group.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i know right? so now Carson gets to sit on the bench and not play…and then when given a day to play if he strikes out or doesnt play well his trade value will tank

he is a golden ticket as a trade item right now…sparkling and wonderful…super high value…bringing him up does next to nothign for us unless we play him 2-3 days a week…which i seriously doubt unless Yadi plays 1st more of Carson dusts off his 3b glove which i highly doubt…

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

maybe Lynn and Oh are gone….Rosy is a long shot…cArp no way and Matheny isnt going anywhere…

saying “fire Matheny” at this point is like when people bring up Hitler in an argument, it kind of stops the discussion at that point…

whether Matheny could be manager can be discussed but it isnt going to happen right now, Mo and him are thick as thieves…if Mo fires him then it is seen as his mistake which means he would be seen as the problem…which wont happen as he was just promoted…and as Mo and Dewitt are thick as thieves…so unless Mo is fired …which wont happen we arent going to see any movement there… maybe the outcry in the offseason could make it more palatable…but the front office has been prepping everyone for a down outcome to the season since that press conference….and they havent done anything but move coaches around to help fix it…

they have had their 6 weeks to evaluate…either help the team, and MAtheny compete and go for it…or trade the tradeable goods for some value and bring up the kids…

14NyquisT
    Participant

Yadi has looked behind himself (for the ball) more than a criminal on the lam. It’s a kick in the ass move.

Knizner or Lino to Memphis? They both need more playing time and now won’t have to split it. Oh wait…. Fryer to Memphis?

PadsFS
    Participant

Jenner is at Springfield too right?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My guess is that Fryer will be designated for assignment, which would put him in non-playing limbo for up to 10 days.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Springfield has 3 Cs. One (Jenner) is designated to be an emergency replacement for the full-season clubs. (He’s done it in the past and knows which doors go to all of the clubhouses).

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Tuivailala and Sierra optioned, Fryer DFA’ed. This is official.

14NyquisT
    Participant

GD it…. I’ve run out of my hours allotment of the Cardinals today. Way too much going on.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Fryer seemed to be good with the pitchers but he was a big liability with the bat. Sierra def needs more time to develop some pop. Tui has been pretty good and I hope he gets back before too long.

Really like the move with Kelly.

vegasjim
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sam T had like 1 appearance in like 2 weeks. The guys body of work this year deserves more high leverage opportunities.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think both Tui and BRebbia have done a marvelous job…getting Tui back into high leverage situations at Memphis is a good idea IMO.. Sierra did his job but was obvious he was not going to stay up once Grich was healthy…Fryer being gone…seems pointless as Kelly will just sit around unless they force Yadi to not play…

If all Kelly is is a better backup catcher for us then fine…but his value right now is as a frontline catcher prospect who could replace Yadi in 3-4 years… why we are utilizing him as a backup catcher…not even pinch hitter really as the backup catcher rarely ever pinch hits, seems pointless.. there is nothign wrong in giving him more playing time at AAA… he was brought up to for a once a week pinch hitting option and 1 start a week with maybe 1 game where he comes in late for Yadi in blowout? waste and only will devalue him

I hope Fryer passes through and goes to AAA i like him as a backup…i could care less about his bat…defense and arm are the only things i care about with a backup catcher…unless there are 3 being kept up or they both can play other positions well…

Duke, Grich, Kelly wont make the team worse…just arent much of a difference…as all have question marks about effectiveness and potential playing time (for Kelly)

Grich will get a chance to start a couple games to see if he turned a corner…before Piscotty returns..sending JMart down…

I am hopeful Duke is back to being Duke and he COULD be a nice boost to the bullpen as he is more than just a LOOGY…but i dont see him as making the 9th inning much better as i dont think he is a closer

Kelly wont get the playing time to show off his talent, and i dont think he is better than YAdi in any aspect of the game right now except maybe running…AND Yadi’s contract means we are invested in him so i dont see this as an audition for anything more than backing YAdi up…as we arent going to trade him or bench him…. IF Matheny came out and said we would sit Yadi 3 days a week and Kelly is a means to see less drop off in production to give Yadi rest then that is a good…but that wont happen…and Yadi is still a force defensively, gamecalling, and at the plate…at BEST Kelly is his equal at the plate right now…and that is far from the a certainty…upper .270’s in AAA doesnt mean much..nor does 10 HRs… and last year when KElly came up he didnt hit much either…he is better than that but if we think he is an automatic upgrade to YAdi that is misplaced…and even as being better than Fryer is still a question…a move for move’s sake IMO

To make THIS team this year and next year better we need an impact bat…period.. why not get it now and make at least two teams better instead of just one or one third of one…

take the money on and get Stanton…snag Ramos with him and call it a day…Stanton and Ramos shore up the bullpen and lineup for this year and at least until 2020… we have the money coming in to pay for it…if you can get Yelich or Ozuna too…sure go for it…

the team needs revamping, why not do it right now when we could do so AND potentially get into the playoffs.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

If kelly is only here to back up Yadi and get 1 start every 9-10 days you can add this to yet another stupid move by the Cards

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Kelly is absolutely better than Fryer right now. By your own words, you say Kelly is supposed to stay in Memphis for 3-4 years before replacing Yadi. Perhaps the team has a higher view of him than you, and are giving him a shot at some big league time that could well be more beneficial than getting at bats at AAA. Besides, even if he doesn’t play much for now they can always send him back to Memphis any time in the next 3-4 years to get more time, right??

14NyquisT
    Participant

Molina seems to want to dominate playing time. Losing time to Kelly might make him less apt to offer Carson much help. That is what worries me. At work would you help someone to take over your job? Kelly may have to get more info from Matheny.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If I was going to retire in a a few years, I would. Young helper for me. Better for the company.

bccran
    Participant

It’s been well chronicled that Yadi is mentoring Kelly just like MM mentored him.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not to mention, Yadi is making $20m a year and probably is going to retire after 2020. I personally believe a chunk of the hesitance to sit Yadi has been the complete lack of a decent backup rather than Yadi demanding to catch every inning. I’m sure he’d like to play every inning, mind you, but it’s easier to sit when the dropoff in performance is 10-20% (at most) vs 50+%.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.