Cards TV ratings down

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cards TV ratings down

This topic contains 25 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by bicyclemike bicyclemike 4 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

19 percent last year and now this.

thejager
    Participant

what percent less wins do we have? I feel like it may be pretty close..

we were 5 games over on the 20th (game on the 19th was postponed) ,we are 1 game under

(49-44) vs (46-47)

3 less wins…but feels a whole lot different

12% less wins from last year would be roughly 5 more losses… not 3 BUT we are 4.5 games back of the playoffs…

coincidental? probably… but still interesting… and even if not purely coincidental…it tells us what? if the Cardinals win more games they get more people to watch and thus better ratings? ha!

still fun to look at the records last year vs today…feels like this team is way worse than even last year’s club

but… we were out of the race pretty much for the division but were right in it for the Wild Card…. this year…reverse that..pretty much out of the WC but still in it for the Division…

Cardinals2016
    Participant

The Cardinals are still second in the league in attendance. And since TV contracts are a fixed value (and dramatically increasing next year), the only fan displeasure that will get DeWitt’s attention are attendance figures and corresponding ballpark revenue.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Not so. Advertising prices go up and down with ratings. FSM is now 30% owned by the team.

Also, and at least as important. All attendance is not equal. Ticket promotions, even on summer weekends, are up this year. They did not sell out Fourth of July weekend, unheard of in the past.

It all matters.

DangerZone
    Participant

I am a die hard Cardinals fan. Always have been, and always will be but…….. I don’t know why but I have no interest in this year(or last year) team. I still check the scores and news every night and morning, but don’t care if I see them on TV. This is the first year I don’t DVR the games. Now I will say I have went to about 15 games this year, and I enjoyed every game.

I don’t know why this years team makes me feel this way but I’m just not interested in watching them play.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

In this vein, the Cards just announced $5 ticket offers for the San Diego series. This is not in September when school has started but from August 22-24.

Even if total attendance is flat this season, I bet resulting revenue will be down.

858booyah
    Participant

Being from Springfield originally I can tell you there’s more interest in the Cubs out and about than the Cardinals for sure. Cardinal fans aren’t happy with the product and it makes it worse that the Cubs won the series and their bandwagon fans wont STFU! Cubs fans memories are short.

I’d love to make them sweat a bit and right now on social media they know it’s a real possibility they miss the playoffs and us making it over them would be egg in the face to that so called dynasty they think they’ve got.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  Brian Walton.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

The team is celebrating 3.4 million fans, but we don’t know the associated revenue.

Cardinals TV ratings for the season came in at the lowest level since 1999. Over the last two years, the decline in viewers is a whopping 30 percent. That HAS to be concerning.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/media-views-cards-tv-ratings-dip-to-lowest-level-since/article_552456bf-4252-57d5-92cd-8f5e75bb81fd.html

NJ315
    Participant

With all due respect to the current players the past 3 years the team has been, well quite boring. I watched about 90% of their games during those years but it is getting harder to tune in.

thejager
    Participant

not good to see the TV ratings down…just like butts in seats they need those viewers….i never miss games but i coudl understand people tuning out at various points in the last couple years

though i would ask about how the ratings take into account mlb.tv…i havent watched it on “TV” in many years…but i watch mlb.tv all the time..even rewatching parts of games…

if the move to mlb.tv is not accounted for then im potentially not as worried about the ratings…watching on your ipad or phone while other people watch “tv” is a legit part of a lot of families lives…

UConn Card
    UConn Card

I moved back to the Midwest from the East Coast in the summer of 2015 and was really excited that I’d now be able to watch FSMW as part of my cable package (without blackouts) and even attend a few games a year.

I haven’t yet been to a game, partly because the fluid nature of farming makes it difficult to make firm plans but mainly because the product St Louis has put on the field in both 2016 and 2017 is nearly unwatchable. I watched maybe 3-4 games over the last two months of the season.

And I’ve been an avid fan since 1967.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

jager, good questions. Here is what I think is the answer. To see the local team in its local area, which is what the ratings measure, you have to subscribe to the regional sports network (RSN).

To be specific, a St. Louis resident cannot NOT subscribe to FOX Sports Midwest and expect to see games. They cannot see Cardinals games on MLB.tv either way.

The advantage of MLB.tv is for out of market games. In-market, the RSNs use apps like FOX Sports GO to give the local subscribers a similar experience to MLB.tv. But again, you cannot use GO without subscribing to FSM first.

So, bottom line, the growth of MLB.tv has no impact on local ratings, which I am pretty sure is the way they engineered it – to not kill the golden goose of local TV contracts.

thejager
    Participant

makes sense BRian….though if you saw a rise in viewership on mlb.tv for Cardinals games i’d be less concerned for an overall drop in local tv ratings…as long as butts in seats were still holding steady

also i woudl say one thing i have learned from younger people is how much they watch things on their computers and tablets for “free” where they share streams (probably illegal) through links on the internet…somethign i have always known existed…but in my personal experience in the past was low quality and always had the threat of viruses etc…

for example…i wanted to watch the Colts game on Sunday night and didnt have local TV to watch it on NBC…i thought…let’s see if i can find a stream….low and behold i found a reddit page with at least 20 different streams…for giggles i tried one and it was HD quality, fast and i mirrored it to my TV screen and watched for abit…no logins no pop ups nothing…just straight to a private youtube page and i was watching it

i felt guilty though and stopped…but i believe younger people dont feel that guilt as much as i do…which might lead to local viewing being higher due to internet subterfuge and sharing of streams…

is this big enough to affect ratings? I dont know…but i woudl say that it woudl be rather foolish and typical of us old farts to believe that watching games or TV in general is the same as it used to be or even was 5 yrs ago…

having said that…what UConn says is also telling…and not to be taken lightly…i watch every game whether or not the product is the best…but others do not…she isnt alone…

14NyquisT
    Participant

I saw that {24/7 WALL ST} listed the 17 Pro teams (4 major sports) that have the largest decline in attendance in the last 10 years.
    The MLB teams were: (% Attendance decline) – (% capacity)
    #1-White Sox att. decline 40.2% capacity 53.7%…….#3-Phillies 30.9% – 54.2%…… #5-Astros 23.7% – 68.3%…….. #6-OAK A’s 23.0% – 53.6%……#7-Braves 21.7% – 50.3%…….#8-Indians 20.3% – 55.8%…… #13-Padres 11.6% – 72.3%……..#14-Angels 11.5% – 82.7%……#15-Reds 11.3% – 55.3%

9 of the 17 teams play MLB. Is this reason for concern? We see a lot of empty seats watching games at other ballparks. What’s the reason for this? I have my own ideas…. anyone else?

FYI the other teams were #2 Hurricanes, #4 Pistons, #9 Avalanche, #10 Nuggets, #11 Senators, #12 Coyotes, #16 Browns, #17 Redskins.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

My totally off the cuff reaction is that the MLB teams cited as losing the most fans have zero titles among them and relatively few playoff appearances in the last decade. Fans want to see contenders and winners.

14NyquisT
    Participant

When I started thinking about this issue there where a host of reasons that I could think of. BW’s is certainly valid. I could go on and on but another reason might be the passing of the “greatest generation” and the aging of the “boomers”. The game is selling itself to younger fans, which is a good business move. MLB is also trying to attract much younger fans…. a plan that it might be losing due to so many other attractions for the kids. It should probably be noted that this is a problem for the other major sports as well.

bccran
    Participant

I have a friend who was VP of Sales and Marketing for Rawlings. He said that baseball has been on a steady decline for a number of years. Kids prefer constant flow sports like soccer, hockey, lacrosse, etc. It’s the kids from the Dominican, Puerto Rico, Venezuela, etc. who have the true passion and it’s a way out of poverty for them. When you drive by Forest Park on a weekend, very few of the fields are in use. They used to be packed. Look at the rosters now of our lower level minor league teams.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Yes, ratings are down everywhere, but to me the key question is whether the Cardinals ratings are down on a percentage basis more than the rest of MLB. I suspect that is the case the last two years, but will take a look again when I see all of the numbers.

bccran
    Participant

The trend in youth sports is going to be interesting over the next decade. First the decline in baseball because kids think it’s boring, and now the concussion scare in football.

858booyah
    Participant

The MLB teams listed had some sort of success in the last 10 years. Padres Opened a new stadium in 2004 and had back to back playoff teams and a game 163 it was coming off of, Phillies had a good run of success and new ballpark in 2004, Astros had a solid run they were a couple years removed from a WS appearance. The Braves still had some clout from the Cox era, Angels had a good run until 2009.

Yes the game has declining appeal and Manfred is failing at making the game appeal to a people who just don’t want to spend 3 hours watching it unless some roided up wife beater who kneels at the anthem is taking part. Baseball isn’t for everyone like Golf but it does have it’s core fans and changing the game just ticks the hard core fans off even more. Baseball will be ok and has it’s baseball cities to feed off! However a downturn in success and product on the field can put some teams in a hole that it’s hard to get out of.

bccran
    Participant

The Cards have lacked any true star power over the past 2 years.
    A bunch of good ball players at times, but average good. They need that big name in the middle of the lineup and they know it. And on the pitching side, Reyes going down didn’t help. There needs to be a shot of excitement. No OT type in the system that’s creating any internal hype.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Recent results haven’t been very good. Certainly could explain declining ratings.

San Diego hasn’t sniffed the playoffs since 2006. Seven losing seasons in a row and 9 of 11 since.
    Phillies haven’t had a winning season since 2011.
    Angels have one playoff appearance since 2009 despite huge payrolls.
    Until recent success, Houston went nine straight years with no playoff appearances, including three straight 100-loss seasons while rebuilding.
    Atlanta was arguably best with three playoff spots in the last 12 years. Last was in 2013, with major rebuild underway since.

mudville
    Participant

I saw a lot of empty seats at Wrigley this year when the Cubs were struggling. That’s not to say the seats weren’t paid for. Cleveland wasn’t packing the stadium, either, and that’s after being in the WS last year, and having an even better team this year. IMHO, the fix is getting more players to play hungry like Tommy Pham. That’s what gets the fans excited. I don’t want to speculate on what it might take to get that to happen.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I think it would take a good sized book or at least a grade A thesis to explain why there is a down shift away from baseball. So much to consider. Socio-economics, demographics and the culture of this nation should all be surveyed as contributing factors.

Being a contending team attracts a fair amount of fair-weather “fans” to imbibe in the excitement. Not seeing ball fields in use by the younger generation is not only disappointing but also quite telling. To me it signifies a lack of interest not only by the children of today, but also the parents. It would make sense to believe that interest is trending down. MLB may see this as a problem it cannot completely solve. It is planning strategies to get fannies in the seats using other attractions, i.e. the ballpark village type of approach. The glamour and glitz will pull ’em in, seems to be the course of action. <<<<< “What’s a double-play?”, “who cares… I’m taking a selfie to send to my friends”.>>>>> >>>>>”Daddy… what’s that thing those boys are throwing around out on that lawn? “ssshhhh I’m on the phone… ask your mother, maybe she knows”.>>>>>

And here we are talking about ballplayers and how they’ll perform. Eh, I’m old… what do I know. I’m I too far off base with this?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

A mitigating factor should have been the influx of Latino residents. Doesn’t appear to have helped much.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.