Cardinals Sign Luke Gregerson

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cardinals Sign Luke Gregerson

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Discuss.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

How is he going to be used? It looks like he has some pretty good stats. Appears to be a solid signing to me.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

2 yrs for 11 million with a vesting option pending physical. His ERA was up and velocity down but he still struck out over 10/9 last year.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

33 years old. Last four years his ERAs have been

Trending the wrong way but may be worth the risk.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

I wonder if this means that we’re going to trade one or more of our other pitchers…

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Hopefully he fails the physical. I just can’t get over how the FO is always getting low hanging fruit. How is a 33 year old trending downward our best option? i swear…

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Do a little research on Gregerson and you will see that of the 31 runs he gave up last season 6 were in 1 game and 3 runs were allowed 3 times.Thats almost half the runs he allowed all year.So his stats are skewed because of 4 bad outings out of 65 games.so no reason to get bent out of shape BHC.UI dont know who people expect to sign………Goose Gossage or Bruce Sutter aren`t available.Whyu not wait and see what MO comes up with.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Didn’t think of the 40 man so I’d say that tells us the big league roster will shortly be experiencing some subtractions.

colhusker
    Participant

Free

Tell me why I should be excited by this.

Tell me why I should be upset.

We need bats far worse.

PadsFS
    Participant

TexasCard
    33 years old. Last four years his ERAs have been

Trending the wrong way but may be worth the risk.

His xFIP paints a different story:

He has a k-rate of 10.33 K/9

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Pads I just posted the easy stuff. That’s why I said it may be worth the risk. Thanks for adding more to my post.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

You should be excited because his bad season still contributes to a bullpen averaging more than 10 strike outs per game which heavily contributes to winning.

PadsFS
    Participant

They still need to land Nicasio or Reed or both imo.

Right now, our bullpen consists of Cecil, Lyons, Gregerson, Tuivailala, Bowman, Brebbia, and Sherriff.

Hopefully, they will keep Reyes, Flaherty, and Alcantara as starters going into 2018.

The next reliever will push Sherriff out. Ideally, we can send Brebbia/Bowman down to AAA too with another signing/trade until the injury bug hits someone in spring training.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

His traditional FIP last season was 4.62, based on his 13 long balls given up. IMO, xFIP gets farther from reality and more into projection.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

All of the writers I’ve seen (except Brian, as I haven’t read his piece yet) say the move is good but not as good as the Cubs signing of Morrow. Aren’t we tired of this? We’re always behind the Cubs in signings and we keep losing ground. The Cubs slept through 1/2 the season and we still finished 9 games behind them. If you’re content with this signing instead of wanting more all I can say is keep being content finishing 2nd to the Cubs year after year.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BHC, I did not comment about Cubs because I did not see it as being all that relevant. My take on that is that I do not care who is ahead in the off-season race at 5 pm on December 10. The big moves on both sides are still ahead.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If he’s the closer I’m disappointed. As a vet setup for 5.5 mil. Not bad at all.

Morrow for 11million seems an overpay for a guy whose never closed.

Trade for Colome now maybe with Archer in tow and BOOM you have an upgraded pitching staff

Snag Ozuna or Abreu and you have the offensive bump

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Full circle for Gregerson.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

That’s my concern, Brian. Will there be any BIG moves by the Cardinals? One would think so but I have no confidence in the Front Office at all that they can or will go big.
    Yes, it’s very early but so far they have a reliever who is getting worse every year and a starter who wasn’t good enough to pitch in the major leagues so he goes to Japan.
    It looks like it could be another typical off-season of low hanging fruit and slugs.
    I will forever be perplexed that they can NEVER seem to be able to go out and acquire someone who is actually good.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I like the fact Gregerson has closed in the past. Even if we acquire an experienced closer, it is nice to have a fallback in case of injury or collapse.

The vesting option requires quite a few appearances so that is in our favor as well.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If Matheny has confidence in him, you know he will get the appearances.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I just posted this addendum to my Gregerson article from Sunday.

Update Tuesday, December 12

Gregerson had his physical on Tuesday, per multiple media reports from the Winter Meetings. The Cardinals expect the results by Thursday, at which point they will finalize the deal.

Following the season, Gregerson had surgery on his left, glove hand to remove the hamate bone, GM Michael Girsch told the media. According to reports at the time, Gregerson was struck on the left hand by a line drive on September 20, but X-rays were negative.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.