Cardinals OF roundup, who stays and who goes? (Grichuk)

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cardinals OF roundup, who stays and who goes? (Grichuk)

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 350 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Now official from the Cards.

OF Stephen Piscotty to Oakland for SS Yairo Muñoz and 2B Max Schrock.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good for everybody.Piscotty goes close to home and Cards get 2 solid middle INF prospects rated in Oaklands top 30 by MLB>COM.Munoz was rated #13 and Schrock #17

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

The Piscotty package seems only slightly better than what we got from the Braves for Garcia. Except Piscotty didnthave an injury history or a $12 million contract.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

both prospects we got look to be pretty solid… nothign spectacular, but both maek good contact and Yairo has some speed and versatility and Max might have a little hidden power…

SS and 2b depth isnt bad….

if i was Valera i’d be a bit worried though…

PadsFS
    Participant

I’m curious how the Memphis infield and outfield will shake out.

Munoz and Schrock should be in AAA next year, but we already have Mejia, Tovar, Edman, Ravelo, Valera, and Wisdom. Munoz and Valera can play outfield and it’s not a given that Schrock or Edman will play at AAA and not AA.

Outfield-wise, we have Grichuk sitting in that 4th outfielder slot in the majors so the only shake up at Memphis would be losing Sierra.

My guess is that O’Neill, Bader, and Garcia are the primaries with Schafer and the aforementioned two, Valera and Munoz, filling in.

Arozarena and Mercado therefore are forced to stay at AA, even though they should definitely be at AAA. My guess is the guy they got for Diaz goes to AA, Woodman. Spitz and Drake would be there too.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Jager just nailed what I was thinking but I dont think he took it far enough.

With this trade we now have a similar situation in the infield as we did in the outfield. Tons of depth but no stars at aa or higher.

I cant think we are done. Maybe next trade is in March but I think we will have at least one more big one this offseason.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

I think grichuk will end up in tampa. Too much smoke for no fire. Either way I see no way he is here.

I think bader is our 4th guy. I think our fifth might be valera. Why?

Why not? Gives O’Neill etc everyday atbats for a month or two to see if valera can stick in his super utility role.

I think there will be one more deal besides grichuk though. We know we are still jammed up and need to clear some space.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I also see Grichuk as moving on. Now it could be that he makes it through the off season still on the roster, and he and Bader battle it out in the Spring for the fourth outfield spot. If it gets that far, ideally Grichuk tears it up in the Spring, and we then cash him in for a decent prospect.

Oh, and I am happy for Piscotty. He gets to be near his mom a lot more, and can get a fresh start in Oakland. I still think he will be a decent player, but things happened last year that got him off track.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I also would be very surprised if Grichuk stays here. The 4th OF will either be a Memphis guy or someone like Jarrod Dyson.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Does anyone know if the Cards had to kick in some money to the A’s? I have yet to be able to confirm that.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i havent read anywhere that we kicked in money…why woudl you assume that? Is there any reporting on that?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There was one report saying that we might have to kick in some money if something was found in the medicals. Since everyone passed their medical exam I’m assuming no money is being sent but I haven’t seen 100% confirmation of that.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Wouldn’t the initial hold up on the trade have been that Munoz was elible for the rule 5 draft and thus couldn’t be traded until after the draft?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No, Munoz was not eligible for the Rule 5 Draft. He is a 40-man roster player.

(Had he been available, though, I bet he would have been scooped up. He looks like a pretty good prospect and is close to being ready.)

I had heard there may have been some concern about Piscotty’s patellar tendonitis.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If you are a member and are interested in the two newest Cardinals, I encourage you to listen to my interview with Melissa Lockard of Oakland Clubhouse, who spent 20 minutes digging into Munoz and Schrock.

If you are not a member, consider an early Christmas gift for yourself!

https://thecardinalnation.com/going-deep-on-new-cardinals-munoz-and-strock/

PadsFS
    Participant

I forgot Luke Voit in the AAA infield mix up above too.

So 40-man-wise, we started at 39

Gregerson on – 40

Ozuna on, Alcantara and Sierra off – 39

Munoz on, Piscotty off – 39

So we are still at 39.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Did anybody see Moz on the MLB Channel last night? They were talking to him about the various St. Louis issues as the Winter Meetings were winding down.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Pads, all you have to do is check the Roster Matrix. All the transactions and 40-man roster detail is right there, free for all!

For those new here, I track every transaction across the entire system all year long and maintain a single page view of all rosters with players listed by their position groupings. You can always access the Roster Matrix from the left column menu bar. Click on ROSTERS/PLAYERS/MOVES then TRANSACTIONS/ROSTER MATRIX. We also have history back almost a decade.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Moz said the following:

1) Doubtful another big bat ended up in St. Louis
    2) Any further transactions would probably be centered on the bullpen
    3) Alex Reyes is doing well and probably targeting a May 1st return. That gives him some flexibility to not rush things in spring training and would help limit his innings next year also.
    4) Alex Reyes could be in the bullpen next year.
    5) The lineup appears set.

NJ315
    Participant

Well that’s not good

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Why do you say that NJ? It looks like we have a pretty set lineup.

Molina C
    Carpenter 1B
    Wong 2B
    Gyorko 3B
    DeJong SS
    Ozuna LF
    Fowler CF
    Pham RF

Grichuk/Bader – 4th OF
    Martinez – backup 1B/OF
    Garcia – 2B/3B/SS backup
    Kelly – backup C
    Other – backup ???

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

… Because that’s not enough to compete in the nl. We probably need one or two more additions.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I’d probably disagree. We won 83 games last year. And some bullpen guys weren’t very good and a few regulars struggled at the plate. If Oh and Cecil can bounce back, if some of our regulars will hit like they are capable of, I think we stand a good chance. Along with the addition of Alex Reyes, that will also help.

I’m thinking this team is probably around a 90 win team. If people play to their potential I am thinking perhaps 92-95.

But I’ve been wrong before……

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Though Rats you’re betting that the players play better than they did last year and stay healthier, as we know most of them won’t, that’s not being a downer it’s being realistic, we could use a couple of new position players and some pitching help, I don’t want to bet everything on Reyes and the like being ready to just start after this next year…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mo could just be posturing.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 350 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.