Cards acquire Nicasio

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cards acquire Nicasio

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

On Wednesday, the Cardinals acquired much-needed relief help with the addition of Juan Nicasio from the Philadelphia Phillies for top second base prospect Eliezer Alvarez.

mbusapp
    Participant

Free

We can expect maybe 8 or 9 innings (with only 24 games left) before he becomes a free agent for one of our top 20 prospects? Really?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Really? is right! Wouldnt even be eligible for the playoffs.

mbusapp
    Participant

Free

Nice trade for Philles. They just claimed him on waivers 6 days ago.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Wow MO and Company show their utter incompetence yet again.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If he gets us into the playoffs it might be worth it.

I think it is obvious we put a waiver claim on him before Aug. 31 only to be blocked by the Pirates. They didn’t want him coming here. Looks like that move backfired on the Pirates.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

My guess is we wanted to claim him but the Phillies swooped him up first to grab another prospect.

My guess is we have already made some choices on the 40 man. I’m not upset that was lost him. I’m more upset we didn’t do anything until now. Some are acting like we lost the next Placido
    Polonco. We have Wong and Gyorko, Dejong can play 2nd, Garcia and Velera already. It’s ok to lose this guy. It won’t devastate the franchise for years to come.

Will the mean less Oh and Cecil?

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Also I never thought about the pirates not wanting him in the Central. Makes me this we claimed jim.on revokable waivers and they yanked him back. Which I guess mean Huntington plan didn’t work.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pretty obvious we weren’t going to protect alvar x and we’re confident someone would snatch him so we got something for him which might help us in the stretch run for the playoffs

We also get the slight chance to negotiate before he hits FA should we want to

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

If the Pirates are in sell.mode, why do they care who claims him. They should have got something for him.

colhusker
    Participant

Free

Yet another dumb end of the year trade by the front office.

PadsFS
    Participant

I really liked this guy last year. The Pirates tried to make him a starter and he didn’t do great, but he is more stretched out so to speak than a normal reliever.

UConn Card

Paid - Annual

One very important point that’s been made previously in this thread is regarding whether management planned on putting Alvarez on the 40-man for protection in the upcoming Rule 5 draft. If not, then he was as good as gone. (San Diego’s proven that twice in the two most recent Rule 5 drafts.)

IF that’s the case, and none of us know either way, then at least St Louis got something for him. And they get first dibs at re-signing Nicasio, if interested.

14NyquisT
    Participant

BW has given a solid take on this trade. I’m not a fan of summer rentals anywhere in MLB. Nicasio becomes another option for Matheny and he’ll probably make use of him often. It cost us a few bucks for his services, a uniform and 7 letters for the back.

Alvarez always carried a nice bat. This season could have been his breakout but he was shelved due to a long stint on the DL and when he came back he struggled at the plate. He wasn’t known for his defense and that may have kept him down on the prospects list. Since we already have a glut of 2Bs and he might have been taken anyway, it doesn’t seem to hurt us much.

The Phillies have a good batch of prospects. With Kingery #3 ready to step in as their 2B and another 2B #18 Brito (ETA 2020) they might have feel a need for Alvarez in between. I think it was PHI wanting Alvarez rather than the Cards offering him. He has been placed at #26 on their top-30 prospects. Brian’s Aug. list had him at #24 and MLB’s most recent list had him #20.(He moved up when others came off).

With the departure of Alvarez our 22 y.o. fourth round pick in June Kramer Robertson, has been moved unto MLB’s Cardinal top-30 at #30. Drafted as a 2B, Kramer has been playing SS for the low-A Peoria Chiefs and has had a very solid rookie season.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

It seems worth a shot as we need the bullpen help, and improving a shot at the post season today is worth a lot. If Alvarez becomes an everyday regular in the bigs, then we most likely overpaid unless we go deep into post season, but as others have pointed out we have depth at second, and so this is not going to cripple the organization. Not a real high risk, and while a bit of a long shot, the potential reward is decent.

PadsFS
    Participant

Since the all-star break, we have just two relief pitchers that have an ERA under 4.00 – Lyons – 0.44 and Brebbia – 2.45

Nicasio is at 3.32 for the second half.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Just to make UConn’s post a little more accurate. Alverez was already on the 40 man roster. Before he could be removed (and become eligible for the rule 5 draft) he would have to be offered on waivers to all 30 teams. The claiming team would have had to have placed him in their 40 man roster. If the Phillies wanted him they would have had a crack at him before the Padres.

UConn Card

Paid - Annual

Thanks for the clarification/correction. I forgot that Alvarez was already on the 40-man.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Alvarez won’t be missed.Cards have others coming up to be middle INF prospects.Nicasio can help get to the playoffs THIS YEAR.Alvarez couldn’t. Cards have better prospects who will need 40 man roster protection so losing Alvarez is acceptable IMHO

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

giving good to solid prospects away for maybe 7-10 appearances of a RP is BEYOND STUPID

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Disagree. It might be any one, or all, of those 7-10 appearances that make the difference that gets us into the postseason. Alvarez wasn’t going to play in St. Louis.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Alvarez amounts to anything more than a backup INF with decent glove AND Nicasio fails in the last few weeks AND doesn’t sign with the Cards when he becomes a FA then it might prove to be adumb trade.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

Nm

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From Ken Rosenthal:

Sources: #Mariners, #STLCards vying for free-agent reliever Juan Nicasio.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/941038112230268928

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think this would be a great move!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.