Bryce Harper thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Bryce Harper thread

This topic contains 656 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 651 through 657 (of 657 total)
  • Author
    BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Willie, Harper didn’t want the opt out. He wanted comfort and stability and he got that by being able to finish his career (13 years) in the same city. He also didn’t want the opt out clause because he said he wants to build a championship team and if his contract had opt outs it wouldn’t help him being able to recruit players to come and join in Philly.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I imagine that Stanton said the same things when he signed his 13 year deal with Miami. If he is sincere, Harper has to hope Philly ownership is more stable.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

blackhills, well I never heard him say that but thanks for the info. that’s all fine If all he wants is stability. but it also locks him in with a team that doesn’t have a good recent history. if all that is true, why didn’t he just sign that contract with the nationals and build his championship team there. im sure the nationals would have went the three extra years if that was a problem. I also heard that he turned down 4 years 180 million dollars with the dodgers. unless he doesn’t feel hes that good and wont be able to back it up and get a great contract in 4 years that’s financially not that good of a decision if true. say he being honest and wanted the longterm stability. having an opt out in 5 or six years wouldn’t have kept him from recruiting. in the end im happy for him but if the phillies don’t really turn their fortunes around over the next 5 to 10 years, I don’t want to hear him whining about being there.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the future of the Phillies looks pretty bright. There is a certain guy who hails from the Philly area currently playing for the Angels that will be a free agent in two years. I’m sure they will have some stupid money waiting for him too since they understand the definition of going for it.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

There has been some talk that Trout might be in Philly when his contract expires. It is well known that he would love to play there, growing up a Phillies and Eagles fan.

The Phillies should be much improved in ’19. They added better players to close to 40% of their lineup (3 of 8).

Kind of funny, as the first time I saw Harper play professionally was in Harrisburg in 2011. Now he is returning somewhat close to that area.

UConn Card
    UConn Card

Paid - Annual

FiveThirtyEight has an interesting article on the newest Phillie –

Is It A Clown Question To Ask Why Bryce Harper’s Stats Are Down

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thanks for sharing, UConn. They raised points much better than I ever could. 13 years is a looooong time.

What’s concerning is that even though some traits age well, like plate discipline, power generally does not. So if Harper’s defense continues to decline and he’s limited to a corner outfield position and continues to lose contact ability — if he becomes a Three True Outcomes hitter — he probably won’t age as the Phillies would like. He would likely morph from a highly sought-after asset, a 26-year-old star free agent, to the type of player easily found (a Three True Outcomes corner outfielder).

Because Harper was a prodigy in part as a result of relentless work and practice at a young age, he may have fulfilled his potential soon after his arrival in the majors…

Viewing 7 posts - 651 through 657 (of 657 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years