Bryce Harper thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Bryce Harper thread

This topic contains 656 replies, has 36 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 657 total)
  • Author
    thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

KRosenthal in the athletic supposedly saying the Cards not as interested in Harper as everyone wants them to be

i dunno…this time of year everything reported on must be taken with a grain of salt, but you never know… regardless, doesn’t sound good, but maybe it’s just a smokescreen

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

ehh they better be, pretty much Harper or bust for me, there is nothing else on the FA market that will help put this team over the top imho

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

KRosenthal in the athletic supposedly saying the Cards not as interested in Harper as everyone wants them to be

Weird comment. Who is “everyone” in this statement – fans, front office personnel, Boras, Harper himself?

Personally I am non-committal. Seems like he would command too much, and not be worth the difference over the lifetime of the deal than what we would get in production from O’Neill. But then, Harper has had some great seasons, and if he could produce near his top level on a consistent basis for at least 5-6 years, then he would be a great addition.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I think they’re more than interested. The only issue is that injury prone guy who has trouble catching up to 92 mph fastballs we just signed 2 years ago is clogging up the roster. So while I have no doubt if the contract is to their liking. I do have doubts on the FO inability to dump off the salary and players needed for it to work. Dewitt never wants to take losses unless you’ve got no other choice and all is lost.

Machado fits better but right now you need a super star on this roster.

Harper 12 yr 375 mil. Opt out after 3rd, 4th and 6th year. Pay him 35 the first 6 seasons and then 30 million 7-9 and 25 million 10-12

NJ315
    Participant

Free

Agreed Harper or bust for me.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

thejager

Participant

i dunno…this time of year everything reported on must be taken with a grain of salt
    , but you never know… regardless, doesn’t sound good, but maybe it’s just a smokescreen

You are absolutely correct…. Everyone seems to have an agenda with their reporting… Goold is saying the Cards are going after Harper hard, JP Morosi basically says the Cards are in on everyone, Rosenthal says we aren’t, etc….. who knows what to believe?

As Brian has pointed out before a lot of the national reporters are tools of the agents so they spin out a lot of propaganda. I’m not saying they don’t have inside information because they obviously do but they sometimes spin it a certain way. Then you have local reporters like Goold who might resent getting scooped by the national writers so they feel compelled to produce their own “inside information”.

I follow Rosenthal, Morosi, Heyman, Nightengale, Sherman, and others on Twitter but you have to filter out a lot of their stuff.

It can make your head spin.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

FA market Im in for HArper, even if i have had my issues with his attitude in the past…i think he’d be a good Cardinals, and if he wants a deal he can retire with, then we can give him that…i am fine going past the “puke” point to get him here…i wouldnt touch MAchado…i dont think the fans woudl care for his attitude,and make no mistake the big moves they are going after are a response to the fans outcry…bringing in a player who wont hustle and doesnt care to change wont go over well unless he NEVER gets cold, and even so his antics wont play well here…, Harper who has had his share of antics I think coudl be welcomed and I think his stardom would be embraced…

outside of the two premiere FAs….i dont see guys worth the investment unless they are in coordination WITH a HArper signing…i like Iglesias along with Harper as it cements a shift to quality defense and athleticism…Harper’s poor last year in defense i think was an aberration and perhaps due to too much CF play

Kikuchi from JApan I think is worth the FA investment, some of the relievers are worth the investment IMO…i like Otty and Allen, maybe RObertson if he is being priced as a non-closer. I really think Romo would be a really smart pickup which might not cost much… Britton and Kimbrel and Miller seem like they will go way too high in money and whiel Kimbrel has been consistent he is now over 30…

but most of the FAs guys arent power moves….MOose, Donaldson, Brantley, Markakis, CarGo, they don’t move the needle in star power or performance

If we cant snag Harper,…go the trade route and use your young pitching to get the impact hitter

I dont like the talking about moving Carp to 3rd to accommodate a 1bman…even if it is Goldy, who for one year shoudlnt be targeted without an extension, and at his age im not sure we’d want to give him a crazy extension he’d want to do so ahead of a trade…Freddie Freeman MIGHT be worth it but he isnt going anywhere…

tlak of an upgrade at 3b via FA worries me that Donaldson is gonna be the target and they are trying to wrm people up to the idea…Donaldson isnt the solution, he could be PART of a solution, but it’d have to be a much bigger plan…

Diaz + Haniger + (take on Felix) from SEA for good top prospects in a reasonable amount due to taking the 27m from fElix…THEN adding Donaldson on a 2yr deal…and throwing in a Kikuchi signing… ok…i get it…that would add some sparkle and move the needle…Donaldson’s “Star” power might hold for a year or two while Haniger or someone else internally becomes the superstar

i dunno…

I started this offseason not wanting to be Harper or bust…but he makes too much sense and no one else fits quite as well…

BUT as Nightengale says…it feels like the Phils are going big…they are close and in a weak division that Harper already knows well…and if they add him they can still add more…they really could add MAchado too if they wanted…and still trade some youth for some pitching

adding Machado and HArper to the Phisl young core would set up fo a LONG window of potential success as they are brimming with other young cheap talent…

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatar thejager.
    mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You would think that the Phillies learned their lesson about long contracts with the Ryan Howard signing.
    Nope. They’re back for more. And this time they apparently want to do, not one, but two long term contracts, and of course, for megamillions.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

not really fair IMO Mud…

Howard was a non-athletic 1bman…who was 30 yrs old at the time of his 125 million dollar contract for 5 years…he got hurt and aged poorly…

MAchado and Harper are both 26 and looking at 10yr+ contracts…with 6 of them being in their prime years (26-32 IMO)…

Howard’s deal wasnt necessarily great…but it wasnt a huge long contract being offered to a FA…he was a part of their core and had produced well…it was an iffy extension on amount of money for his style and play and age at the time…but not a terrible deal without having the aid of hindsight for major injury

Phils seem to have the best pitch right now for Harper and/or MAchado…whether they will do it is another question..Boras for sure wont let them do it without paying top dollar…so even if the Phils are willing to be the team for either of them…we wont know until BOras has tried to eek out every dollar from them by playing other teams like the Cardinals against them…

Boras did already proclaim they had the team picked already….now it is just about making the most money by leading other teams on…

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Jager, it seems to me that if the other teams took Boras’ rhetoric as literally as you, they would not even make Harper an offer. Why bother?

That is clearly not what Boras wants.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have an idea for a contract for Harper. Several facets of my idea are 1) a signing bonus at every segment, a slight reduction in pay of around 10 percent

3 segments, the first 2 for 3 years, and the last for 4 years.

So here goes:

Years 1 thru 3, a $25 mill signing bonus, plus $33 mill a year
    Total value, 3 years-124 mill. Opt out at end of term.

Years 4 thru 6, another $25 mill if he doesn’t opt out. $31 mill a year for 3 more years. Another opt out.
    Term total value, 3 years-$118 mill.
    6 year total, 6 years-$242 mill

The last 4 years his salary would be ONLY $29 mill and, no bonus, or a small one perhaps. Probably by then that salary will be closer to a lower superstar wage.

Finally, an opt out clause could be goo for the Cards. Maybe by the firsts opt out Malcolm Nunez, and/or Gorman are cracking 40 homers a year.

10 year total 358 mill.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian…i don’t take Boras literally…i inferred IF you took him at his word etc etc. … for all we know he HAS picked his team and Boras is just working to get the other teams to drive up the price on the one place he will go…

also he never said WHERE that one place is that he wants to go just that he knows it…it’s a pretty easy lie to and strategy for any team to get in contract and for Boras to say…”Well he really WANTs to go to this other place…you’ll have to up your amount to change his mind”,…and do that ad nauseum

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatar thejager.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Free

“Says”? Even the writer admits it is pure speculation.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, “says” (via the Tweet below). The writer was doing nothing other than amplifying what the radio guy reported.

(As an aside, so much of the “news” these days is just people playing “telephone” with what others first report – often embellishing it and twisting it. I always try to go back to the initial source, but in this case, the writer added some points I thought were worth reading and he very clearly indicated his initial source right up front. Here it is again.)

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If the Cubs want to blow past the luxury tax like the Red Sox last year and try to buy a world series then that is their prerogative. It will catch up to them eventually.

As I have stated before I think Epstein and Co. are stunned that they have won only one WS in Chicago and they are desperate to win another before the party is over. I suspect Epstein knows that he only has a few years left in Chicago before he leaves to pursue another “lost cause” so does he really care if he leaves a bloated payroll behind for someone else to clean up?

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Avatar gscottar.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Theo has forged a very fine career spending lavishly. The thing I got the most out of from the article above is that the size of the cap overspend penalty isn’t all that huge, relatively speaking. Maybe a side benefit will be fewer TD Ameritrade commercials on TV. 😉

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Very true Brian.

The article states that the first tier of the luxury tax is $226M, however I was under the impression that luxury tax line for 2019 is $206M, in which case the Cubs would already be over the limit before the season starts.

https://www.mlb.com/news/details-of-mlb-mlbpa-labor-agreement/c-210125462

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Free

Noticed that too about the luxury tax error. And like almost all journalist, fail to mention that most teams incurr expenses of 10-15 million that are not salaries but count against the tax threshold

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Too bad the old rules that connected the pick the old team receives and the new team gives up are gone…

I don’t think this was figured into the estimated cost of the Cubs going over the threshold, either, was it?

This item from Derrick Goold has received a lot of positive feedback from people, thinking it suggests the Cards could sign Harper. I read it just the opposite – that if they signed Harper, it would be all they would do.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Interesting analysis of Harper’s defensive slide.

Wiley
    Participant

Free

Bryce Harper has done such an outstanding job leading Washington to a World Series title…..oh wait…that never happened. Okay he did a masterful job leading them to the playoffs every year…oops…never did that either. In fact, he hasn’t led Washington to anything! So what is the big deal about this overblown, over-rated, over thought of under-achiever that has everyone’s shorts in a knot to sign him for way more money then he deserves. Does Borass have you all hypnotized or something.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by Avatar Wiley.
    NJ315
    Participant

Free

Why do you care? The Cards won’t sign so why are so worked up? He makes this team better, yes he will overpriced but so are 95% of big contracts. Stick with the cheap older gamers they will keep signing it has worked so well the last few years.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

IF you don’t think Harper is a good – great player or he wouldn’t help this year you haven’t been watching baseball

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 657 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years