Brewers thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Brewers thread

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Seems like a good time to start this thread. Despite their 2018 success, the Brewers have undertaken major changes to their coaching staff for 2019.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

They are not going away.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Milwaukee Brewers Outlook this year

“Until you feel like you have the best player in baseball at every position, you have an opportunity to improve. We have a number of high-end players but we know we can get better.”

That has been my complaint about the Cardinals front office the past few years, they seemed to be trying to “make do” and weather the storm rather than trying to upgrade the team.

This year is the first year in awhile it looks like the Cardinals are trying to upgrade the team.

14NyquisT
    Participant

2016 are you basing that on one 3for1 trade?

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

I am basing it on the belief they are still after a left-handed hitter and at least one reliever, and we pretty much know JMart is going to be traded.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

You mean the Cards were not trying to upgrade the team last winter when they were prepared to take on Stanton and his $250 million contract? When they found the pitcher who became the best free agent pitching signee of the year across all of MLB? C’mon now.

By the way, despite all the talk at the time how the Cubs were all over Mikolas, this report from Heyman earlier says the Brewers came in second.

https://fancredsports.com/articles/inside-baseball-mlb-notes-aj-hinch-gets-the-exte

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

I don’t believe the Cardinals were really trying to win Stanton.

Their arguments for him joining here were tradition, low cost of living and less traffic than other cities. Come on.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Don’t forget that St Louis only has MLB and NHL. No NFL and NBA players to compete with for local media coverage and merchandising. If you are desperate for arguments this one can be thrown in?!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

This discussion is silly. So they engineered a huge trade just for window-dressing? They really did not want him?

I would love to have heard your pitch to Stanton, because I would give 1000-to-1 odds that it would not have swayed him, either. With everything considered, he did not want to play there. Yet, you give the team no credit for trying to convince him. None of us know what was actually said around the table when the two parties sat down to talk.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I think it is way off base.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I’m in on the window-dressing theory. I think that they were willing $$ to take on Stanton jr. all along.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It is amazing the lengths the team went to simply to try to convince you skeptics they were trying. But you guys saw through the elaborate ruse. Congratulations. Time to move on.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Oh Brian, my pitch to Stanton was all over the Stanton thread. You can go back and read it if you like.

Funny how DeWitt had gone on record at the time the Stanton rumors first started and said deals like that almost never work out.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Brewers beat writer for the local paper is having a frustrating afternoon on Twitter trying to educate fans why the team has financial constraints.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Brewers potential for Kluber

They are known to be shopping Thames (who either could be flipped to Tampa or take Encarnacion’s role as DH if Cleveland can trade him). They are also shopping Domingo Santana, who I believe is out of options.

Not hard to see the Brewers landing Kluber if LA doesn’t give up Verdugo + pitching

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Murphy sèems like a Brewers kind of signing. And they often work out well for them.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free
    Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free
    Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free
    Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Brewers sign Chris Dula

He of the 102 mph fastball

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

DiPoto can’t let the Reds and Dodgers grab the news!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

They signed Spangenberg to keep second base warm for this guy. Hiura was the MVP of the AFL. Should be up later in the year and may be around for a long time.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Gray is an interesting bounce-back candidate. I’d rather see him there than Kluber.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 58 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.