Baseball Prospectus prospect rankings

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Baseball Prospectus prospect rankings

This topic contains 30 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Brian Walton 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author

14NyquisT
    Participant

Pitching velocity and HRs have taken over the game in this era. HRs make the highlight reels, especially the bombs. Speed, defense and ERAs are only side dishes. For the HR boys, Ks/AB are not a factor, as well as, pitchers Q-starts. The juiced ball and Sabrmetrics rule.

PadsFS
    Participant

Brian Walton

Simple answer: Alcantara throws 100 mph.

He threw 100 MPH after 2016 too, but Hudson was ranked right there with him I believe.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Well, BP has liked Alcantara for a long time. He was #40 overall on BP’s 2017 national rankings. Hudson did not make BP’s 2017 top 100, any other national top 100s, for that matter. In fact, Hudson isn’t on any top 100’s this year, either.

PadsFS
    Participant

I thought Hudson had made the fangraphs one, or at least one of the mid-season ones, but he was MIA other than an honorable mention. Interesting that Fangraphs had Delvin Perez just ahead of Ronald Ocuna prior to the 2017 season. I have a feeling he will be back.

grayssportsalmanac
    grayssportsalmanac
    Participant

Its interesting to me the value that is put on “upside” vs “floor” in prospect rankings. Do they weight it a certain way? It seems to me that people fall in love with upside and might discount downside, at least in a what is just an ordinal ranking (quant) situation..

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

I cannot speak for others, but I assess prospects on two scales. One is the ceiling and the other is how much work they have to get there. But the ranking on pure upside only would be different from the regular ranking. Every year, I re-spin our top 50 based on upside only and as you might guess, a Delvin Perez kind of prospect moves up and a Carson Kelly moves down. Of course, even though there are numbers and grades assessed, when all is said and done, it represents my opinion.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.