Baseball America 2019 prospect rankings

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Baseball America 2019 prospect rankings

This topic contains 60 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Does anyone know why Giovanny Gallegos isn’t getting more attention? His AAA numbers –

134.2 IP
    89 Hs
    182 Ks
    31 W
    1.99 ERA
    0.88 WHIP

31.2 major league innings under his belt.

I have him making the bullpen out of ST this year.

Thoughts?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran, my guess is that there are so many veteran relievers without minor league options that it will force Gallegos back to Memphis. Even if so, his chance should come again as long as he takes care of business in Triple-A.

Robert Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m one of those who may be underrating him, cranny. But a reliever-only, who’s well on the wrong side of 25 already, generally has so little upside that he isn’t worth talking about. For me.

Or another of putting it, the Yankees are a very shrewd organization, and they didn’t even give him a Sept. callup until age 25/26, in his 6th year in their system. Probably a symptom of something. Not for sure, but probably.

As for those harsh words from the chat, Pads…I agree with Glaser at least 90% in every instance. In fact it was refreshing to read a BA chat where so much common sense was being applied — instead of a near fanatical clinging to ancient scouting reports of dubious merit.

I’m not completely giving up on Seijas, not at his age, not before he’s even been given a shot at bullpen work, which has had a salutary effect on so many arms through the years. But scrawny Johnny Machado failed dismally at two levels above rookieball, and Delvin Perez has turned out to be nothing, and I think we all understand why. I don’t have any of the three in my top 30 Cardinals. Seijas would be top 35-40 or so.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatar Robert Reed.
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Free

Bccran, you have Gallegos making the bullpen this year at the expense of whom?

Until the Cards show me otherwise, I dont believe they are going to eat any contracts before the season starts. That makes the BP:

Cecil
    Shreve
    Miller
    Hicks
    Leone
    Gregerson
    Brebbia
    Gant

My alternates (in order)

Myers
    Reyes
    Hudson
    Gomber (if one of the lefties goes)
    Ponce de leon
    Gallegos/Helsley
    Cabrera (lefty)
    Webb (lefty)
    Layne (lefty)

The alternates themselves have the potential to comprise a decent bullpen.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As a reminder, Seijas came in no. 37 on our new top 50 for 2019. His individual scores ranged from #33 to #43. Perez is no. 35 and Machado no. 47.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Free

Intersting that the Catds have not been able to aid the physical development of either Perez or Machado. Does anyone have anyother examples of recent Cardinal failures or successes in this area?

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Pads, thanks for posting those recaps. Much appreciated.

It is worrisome that Perez and Machado are so small and weak. Both have in the system and on nutrition and weight programs which don’t seem to have worked at all.

bccran
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

CC –

I can see him beating out either
    Gregerson or Gant.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Of the 63 pitchers across minor league baseball who threw 100 mph last season according to BA (subscriber article), only one is from the Cardinals – Junior Fernandez.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/number-of-minor-league-pitchers-throwing-100-mph-decreases-in-2018/

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I did a study of the age stars and superstars reached the major leagues. Relief pitchers averaged several years older than other pitchers and position players.

And then there are a fair number who struggle with a starting role several years before they become relievers. Converting to relief jumped them from minor league starters to the major league bullpen. The Cardinals had hoped the conversion of Connor Greene would be a career booster. So far it didn’t work.

Many of the switches occured in the minor leagues but some after a mediocre starting career like new Cardinal Andrew Miller who made the switch at age 27 after 6 so-so seasons at the major league level.

Ex-Cardinal Dennis Eckersley an example. He hardly struggled as a starter but started for 12 years before becoming a full time reliever at age 32. Or like John Smoltz lengthened his career by going to the pen.

Those are reasons that a Gallegos or Roel Ramirez should not be counted out just yet.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Avatar SoonerinNC.
    CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Gallegos is David Robertson lite from everything I’ve seen on him and…. I’m in agreement that he could be the biggest surprise BC. Hopefully Reyes doesn’t come up until June 1 (rough estimate to gain an extra year of control). Also, one more wild card BP option wouldn’t be awful, a Bud Norris type? Romo is still out there as of the last time I looked.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Odds are not high that Reyes would be optioned out at all, let alone for two months. Not impossible, just not likely. Minor league rehab could be the route again, as it was in 2018.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

CariocaCardinal

Intersting that the Catds have not been able to aid the physical development of either Perez or Machado. Does anyone have anyother examples of recent Cardinal failures or successes in this area?

It’s really aggravating coming from the perspective of an avid college basketball fan and seeing some of the Kentucky players, for instance, make massive physical changes in the course of a year.

Matt Adams would be another one that would be a failure imo.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Speaking of Reyes, I watched him throw today for a long time, though most of it was warming up. I did not get a gun on him, though. I consider it a good sign for January 15.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Reyes and CMart sharing the same barber now?

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Guess we can expect some folks to show up and complain about his hair any second now…

Alex looks to be in pretty good shape, judging by that photo.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No I’m not a fan of the hairdo but so what? As long as he stays healthy and performs up to his ability he can have purple hair for all I care.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Scott, your comment came in as I was formulating mine. It was slightly accurate, although you are not one of the group that usually complains loudly about these “antics.” ?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m 51 years old so I know that I’m probably not in tune with the 20 something crowd when it comes to style and fashion. While his hair it isn’t my personal taste I really just want him to be healthy and perform. That is what is important. Same with CMart.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Speaking of Reyes some more, this here is the guy that could turn this team on the right course. Adding Reyes to the rotation sometime during ’19 and getting solid success would mean 2020, and going forward, just brightened up a whole lot. Reyes has been off the field so much that some forget what an impact he could have.

I can envision Reyes, Flaherty and a third from the group of on the verge candidates we have, being a dominant force in the NL for several years.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Free

I see Reyes as 2-3 wins added whether in the rotation or the pen. We make the playoffs easily with him healthy last year.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I just hope that he has seen his last DL days for a while at least.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Anything Reyes contributes in ’19 is gravy. With his medical track record, you just can’t expect much. It sure would be a dream come true if he stayed healthy this season.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Strong showing by Cards in BA’s new top 100, with five ranked.

19 Alex Reyes
    36 Tyler O’Neill
    74 Dakota Hudson
    75 Nolan Gorman
    81 Elehuris Montero

https://www.baseballamerica.com/rankings/2019-top-100-prospects/

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

The Cubs have 0 Top 100 prospects according to BA. More insane is the fact the Marlins have 1 top 100 prospect after trading away a crap-load of talent.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 61 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years