Baseball America Top Prospects

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Baseball America Top Prospects

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 96 total)
  • Author
    14NyquisT
    Participant

Don’t dismiss Flaherty’s maturity, confidence and moxie. A strong spring puts him in the rotation, he should be considered done at AAA.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

I’m not. Being conservative doesn’t disallow progression… In theory anyway.

Just saying… Maybe. I’m not the one making decisions so….

PadsFS
    Participant

Flaherty should be ticketed as the 6th or 7th starter for sure next year. I really hope he can get a month or two in Memphis at least next year.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Pretty much what I was thinking. Weaver has looked much different this year than last. Has been decent. I would expect similar from flaherty.

If he is better than that and can make it a full year great. Having young guys around wainright for a full year even if he is slowing down sure won’t hurt them at all.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Flaherty needs a full year at AAA. I don’t think his pitches have peaked yet. He needs more time for development. He came out of nowhere this year. But that doesn’t mean that he’s really arrived anywhere yet.

BTW, after the game today Dan McLaughlin said that Wainwright was going to have surgery to clean up his elbow, and that he’ll be ready to pitch next Spring……….

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hicks is the only Cardinals prospect on this year’s BA MWL Top 20. He ranked at No. 13

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Derek, what is your impression of that ranking? Do you have a take on whether the other pitchers ahead of him are better prospects? Just curious.

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, the first three spots are taken up by three position players (Guerrero, Tatis, and Bichette) who each are top national prospects. Guerrero and Bichette were No. 1 and 2 in the FSL Top 20 for more reference.

Hicks was the fifth best pitching prospect on that list which I think is the right ranking because he’s slightly older than the ones ahead. Hicks still lacks a quality third-pitch. Command remains inconsistent and he doesn’t miss bats as well as those ahead.

BA did have a glowing report on him, citing his ceiling as a No. 2-3 starter with closing potential.

That’s just my take.

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It should also be noted a Cuban the Cardinals were reportedly looking at in the spring of 2016, Michel Baez, ranked as the best pitching prospect in the MWL. The Padres outbidded the Cards with $3-million signing bonus.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thanks, Derek!

bccran
    Participant

Hicks at Peoria – 78ip/75h/63k/39w/3.35era/1.46whip

O’Reilly at Peoria – 87.2ip/49h/89k/11w/1.75era/0.68whip

Hmmm. Fastball and 2 year age difference?

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m sure O’Reilly (hopefully) will be brought up in today’s chat. Same with Knizner, Edman, and Carlson.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In this morning’s lead story, our local Peoria writer, Nick Konow, explains to members why O’Reilly is his Peoria Starting Pitcher of the Year, but Hicks is the better prospect.

https://thecardinalnation.com/2017-peoria-chiefs-starting-pitcher-of-the-year/

Also, brand new for members, Derek has an in-depth article on Hicks, with comments from the pitcher, coaches and peers.

https://thecardinalnation.com/hicks-learning-the-finer-of-pitching-than-overwhelming-hitters/

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cardinals only had one in the NYPL Top 20 as well. Evan Mendoza comes in at No. 12 for State College.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BA posted its MLB All-Rookie Team. Paul DeJong is included.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/majors/2017-major-league-rookie-team/

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For the third straight BA league top 20, Cardinals were represented by one prospect – Alvaro Seijas (No. 14) in the Appy League Top 20.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Wow…i didn’t even expect that considering his numbers.

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Seijas pitched better than his numbers reflect: 3.60 FIP compared to 4.97 ERA. Strikeout rate was okay, but his walk rate was lower than his number at the Jupiter complex last year. Strong year considering he pitched in front of a crowd and at night for the first time in his life, IMO. Also, don’t forget he isn’t undersized anymore, either.

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Two Cards prospects in GCL Top 20 – Montero at 9 and Machado at 18.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thanks, Derek!

(Make sure you catch Derek’s analysis of the Springfield Player of the Year to be posted for members on Wednesday morning!)

bccran
    Participant

Going back to Bader, if there are 16 teams in the PCL and they carry a roster of 25, that’s 400 hundred players. If Bader is rated in the top 20, that means he’s rated in the top 5% of players in that AAA league. Are we overlooking him because of Pham’s and Martinez’s success and the pickup of O’Neill?

bccran
    Participant

PCL – DeJong/Kelly/Flaherty/Weaver/Bader
    TL – Flaherty/Sierra/Hudson(POY)/Garcia/Mercado/Alcantara
    FSL – Helsley
    MWL – Hicks
    NYPL – Mendoza
    AL – Seijas
    GCL – Montero/Machado

Top loaded. Donut hole had closed because of progression, good drafting, and additional signings.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Donut hole closed. Mushroom developing.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BA has published its new Cardinals top 10 with commentary by analyst Kyle Glaser.

(Our list will be different!)

https://www.baseballamerica.com/minors/2018-st-louis-cardinals-top-10-prospects/

1. Alex Reyes, RHP
    2. Jack Flaherty, RHP
    3. Carson Kelly, C
    4. Sandy Alcantara, RHP
    5. Tyler O’Neill, OF
    6. Jordan Hicks, RHP
    7. Magneuris Sierra, OF
    8. Harrison Bader, OF
    9. Dakota Hudson, RHP
    10. Ryan Helsley, RHP

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

What did BA have Helsley ranked the last 2 years. If I remember correctly it wasn’t very high.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 96 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.