2019 Arizona Fall League

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2019 Arizona Fall League

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

If true, I don’t understand this move.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, I get it on one hand, but another I do not. This would immediately follow the minor league playoffs. As it is currently, most of the AFL players sit for at least three weeks between. If true, this will make MLB teams think about what is better for a 40-man roster player – to play once a week off the MLB bench in September or play every day in Arizona? Reducing some of the September roster glut might be a partial motivation, but for the vast majority of the AFL players, it will not matter. Still, very interesting. Thank you for sharing it.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I heard somewhere (my memory doesn’t serve me exactly where) that that Sept. MLB roster should be limited to 30. Has anyone else heard of this idea?

So as far as the AZL, I can’t think of a good percentage for moving it up to Sept. It would certainly cut back on the interest that the League receives. Of course a great deal of casual fans don’t know that the AZL exists, but still.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good point on fan interest, Ny.

A September roster change, like the 20-second pitch clock and a bunch of other ideas, were put on the table by owners, but when the players asked for the designated hitter in return, that seemed to end the party. More details are on the thread called “MLB Announces Pace of Play Changes”.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Brian, I wasn’t sure if I should make a new post or what. I figured if anything you would edit the post and place wherever you thought best.

The league would literally be playing the midst of the MLB playoffs which would greatly reduce the interest the league already has. I would think MLB would want to increase interests, not decrease.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The AFL usually has less than two weeks remaining by the time the World Series is over, anyway. So they heavily overlap as it is.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I projected four of the seven.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Griffin Roberts? Uhh… *eww emoji*

He hasn’t really shown me anything to warrant a spot in the AFL. Carlson and Montero were obvious choices, especially Montero who the Cardinals want to see what they have in him before deciding what to do with him before the Rule 5 Draft. Robertson had a good developmental year this year and has shown some promise. Ivan Herrera is incredibly young to be auditioned. Kodi Whitley could be in next year’s bullpen discussion. Elledge could find his way into that discussion as well but I’m not sure what he’s down to warrant an audition in the AFL this year.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I can’t find AFL rules in regards to eligibility, if there is no stipulation on having been in MLB already, could the last pitcher be Gomber? He had a lost season for the most part and is likely in dire need of innings.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Gomber pitched two perfect innings for Springfield last night and is scheduled to throw again for them before the season is out. He will almost certainly rejoin St. Louis’ bullpen afterward.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Due to such little work the past few months, I hadn’t considered that as an option. It makes sense though and then he can have a completely “normal” offseason.

Spring Training next year is going to have more competition than they’ve had in a long while. Starting pitching, relief pitching, the outfield and the bench will all likely have a spot or two up for grabs.

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT
    Participant

I wonder what brought this about…. seems strange.

Will another player take his place in Arizona?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My guess is that they decided his Memphis stint was successful enough that he didn’t need the extra work in AZ. He already had over 550 plate appearances this season between Memphis and Springfield, so rest is apparently a higher priority now. In fact, I mentioned this possibility in an earlier article.

Yes, I imagine he will be replaced.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Will they also add an 8th player or has that already been done.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

A lot of presumptions on my part but maybe this signals the Cards making a definite decision not to sign Ozuna. (Either based on Carlson’s performance or Ozuna’a). Thus no need to showcase Carlson for a possible trade.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

They are not trading Carlson on any circumstance. He is not playing Fall ball because he has already gotten enough AB’s.

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A full offseason of rest benefited Arozarena last year, who took a huge leap forward this season after playing both pro ball and winter ball since he signed with the Cardinals. In Carlson’s case, he has shown enough to break camp with the big league club next March.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Sure gamecard, which Cardinal exec told you that. Everyone is available at the right price. They traded Kelly because he was blocked for the next two years and they were able to fill a need. If Ozuna was signed Carlson could be blocked and for the right player they might move him.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Common sense told me that and common sense to me they are not trading Carlson.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mo was pretty adamant that Carlson and Gorman were not available this past trade deadline. Nothing is guaranteed but it would be shocking to see him moved. It would have to be a blockbuster trade for someone like Trout or DeGrom or Scherzer. In other words it isn’t happening.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

If those are the only guys Mo would trade Carlson for he is a worse GM than I thought.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Pretty sure at some point he wasn’t trading Kelly.

14NyquisT
    Participant

On Aug 28th it was announced that Carlson was part of the Cardinal group that would be playing in the AFL. TCN = SEVEN CARDINALS NAMED TO THE 2019 ARIZONA FALL LEAGUE. https://thecardinalnation.com/seven-cardinals-named-to-the-2019-arizona-fall-league/. Sept. 12th Derek Shore posted a source saying that Carlson would not be going.

What happened in two weeks?

That’s why I said it seems strange.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 104 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.