Alex Reyes Update

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Alex Reyes Update

This topic contains 245 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by Avatar dac8b9 1 day, 21 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 246 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

(Fwiw, Squishy is over on Gateway Redbirds writing the same kind of posts.)

dac8b9
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Flaherty is a really interesting guy to project going forward. When he was in the minors, it didn’t seem like any scouting services had him pegged as a potential top of the rotation player. At best he was seen as a good #3 or #4 type of guy with a few good pitches but not dominating stuff outside of his slider. While the reports of his stuff seemed to have been accurate, the slider has been so good that Flaherty is getting a ton of strikeouts. Add to that the intangibles Flaherty has by the boatload, and you get a pitcher with a true out pitch who can dominate a good lineup even if his other offerings are probably average. It really gives me more hope for Griffin Roberts making it as a starter. That being said, is having one elite pitch and great intangibles enough to make Flaherty an ace, or will his other offerings have to improve? I could see him topping out as a nice #2 or riding his intangibles to beat the projections and become a true ace. At the very least, I think his slider and intangibles will make him a very effective starter and a key player for the Cardinals going forward.

bccran
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Flaherty’s competitive nastiness (ala Chris Carpenter) should bode well.

Pretty nasty 2018 stats too –

IP – 151
    H – 108
    K – 182

Probably a solid #2-#3 for years to come.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is there any possibility Reyes begins his season at Memphis? If healthy, he is just too valuable in any role.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Absolutely, there is a possibility Reyes could begin in Memphis. I covered his possibilities in this article ($) the other day.

Breaking Down the Cardinals Relief Pitching Decisions

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

mudville

Participant

Paid – Annual
    Just think where the Cubs would be if they had gotten Flaherty instead of the Cardinals. I don’t blame the troll for being mad.

The Cubs would have already traded Flaherty for some big name player in a blockbuster deal.

Personally I feel that Flaherty will be a number 2 starter within a year or two. We are fortunate to have him.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m a big fan of Black Jack and feel that the #2 possibilities may be underrating him.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe a hybrid role for Reyes would be best this season. He could pitch 2 to 3 innings and be a factor in 40-50 games, and still meet the Cards desired innings level. Injuries will have a big factor in this. I just hope he stays healthy, and the Cards don’t shut him down, ala Strasburg if we make postseason.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

IF Reyes stays healthy, and wins a spot in the starting 5, he will have about 17 starts before the All Star break. Assuming they will not let him go too deep into games, he should have 80-90 innings logged. Then possibly move into a hybrid relief role after that. Also, with their depth of starters, they may skip a couple starts when the schedule allows.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Confirming what seems obvious with just two weeks remaining in camp.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Makes sense. They want to limit his innings anyways so why not just stash him in the bullpen from the opening gate. Doesn’t make sense optioning him to Memphis.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is a very positive development. Our bullpen needs the help. Reyes, Miller, and Hicks isn’t too bad.

I would like to see CMart put into the pen also when he is ready to go. The rotation would be Mikolas, Flaherty, Wacha, Waino, and either Hudson or Gant.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Reyes seems to have passed all tests so far.I don’t think Reyes ever had a chance to be a starter this spring. Seems like they could have tried to stretch him out. And sending him to Memphis makes less sense to me. If you’re going to limit him to 100 innings, why use any meaningful innings at Memphis.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And I do not understand why Reyes couldn’t start the season in the bullpen, and move to the rotation later. Just ramp up his pitch count, and have someone like Gomber, or Gant bridge the gap in later innings until he gets stronger.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

With Waino and two youngsters in the rotation, there should be a chance to play piggyback starter every four to six days. He could be way more valuable as a set up man every other day though.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like this approach too.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Plus Reyes as a bullpen arm means they get to save some $$ for the next three years in arb either way. Good for Bill’s wallet.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I just can’t see the Wainwright experiment working out. He’s throwing 86-88, and he’s been fragile for a number of years now. I wish him the best, but I just can’t see this working out in terms of wins. Reyes will have some time for adjusting to the big leagues while in the bullpen.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Reyes, Hicks, and Martinez walk a lot of hitters. That’s my #1 concern in the late innings.

r/Rat

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Free
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good parallel to point out…

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Can anybody give an update on Reyes? How is he doing this spring? How has he looked? Areas such as the following:

Velocity
    Command
    Stats
    Health

r/Rat

bccran
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Hit 96 on the gun when I saw him, command has been better. He’s ready to contribute out of the bullpen.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wainwright and Reyes both on the staff.keep the Memphis shuttle ready and keep the trainers room ready.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So concerning the pitching staff one could think;
    Luke Gregerson DL
    Brett Cecil DL ?
    Carlos Martinez DL ?
    Chasen Shreve -possible waivers

2nd LH in bullpen?
    Tyler Webb or Tommy Layne ? Layne seems to have gotten Shreve syndrome with the longball this spring.

Viewing 25 posts - 201 through 225 (of 246 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years