Alex Reyes Update

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Alex Reyes Update

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 451 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good article on Reyes’ personal challenges along with the baseball ones.

dac8b9
    Participant

Brian, you are right, that is a pretty good article that does a great job illustrating all Alex Reyes has been through these last couple years. It’s kind of amazing he’s managed to remain so diligent with his rehab when his daughter got cancer during that period.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Reyes will be one of the most interesting stories (I hope) this spring. Assuming he stays healthy, and by all reports will be ready for spring training. I am certain they will be very cautious with him.

What role he plays remains to be seen. He is the true “Wild Card” on their staff, and could be anything from starter to multi inning Andrew MIller type reliever to closer. His very presence, and ace like stuff makes the team better. I would actually favor him in relief to start the year. That way he could move to the rotation mid season. It would be a shame if we had a playoff game and we couldn’t use him due to innings limitations. Maybe it is too much to ask, given his past years, I would like to see 130 to 150 innings from him. That could set up a bigger workload next year.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

C27, I would guess that it’s easier on a pitcher to stretch out to start and then move into the bullpen later, as opposed to starting in the pen and then moving into the rotation. It seems like that was the argument that the Cards made when they brought Cmart back as a reliever at the end of last year, anyway.

I would think if he starts the year as a reliever, he will finish the year as a reliever. Thus, I myself want to see him plan to start and then move to the bullpen if he’s not needed.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

FWIW, the Cards have talked more about 100 innings, but they do not want as few as 50. That does suggest either a hybrid or a changing role. He is coming to camp as a starter.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

IMO the stars align better for Reyes to pitch out of the pen this year. A back end bullpen combination of Reyes, Miller, and Hicks could be outstanding and it would allow him to fine tune himself to join the rotation full time in 2020 like CMart did when he came up. We could potentially have up to three open rotation spots in 2020 so that would be the ideal time for him to step in.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Cardinals really trying to manage expectations. He has passed his physical, is throwing 40+ pitch bullpens already, yet the teams says he will start out a week behind.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

If he’s already throwing bullpen sessions is he really going to be that far behind where they’ll place him on the DL to start the season.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Let’s see how he does in real games against real hitters and how he feels the day after before answering that. The big tests are still ahead.

14NyquisT
    Participant

A healthy and successful Reyes may be just the right amount of difference as a starter or in the bullpen for the Cards to be a factor in the play-offs. With his potential he could be like a player “under the radar” that winning teams need to show a considerable improvement.

Many followers are reluctant to put his name into ink as a sure benefactor because of his history.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I hesitate to get my hopes up because the Cards have been so snake bitten on top prospects lately, but Reyes is the kind of arm that could really make a huge difference in a close postseason race. Unless his control completely goes, he’s likely to post an ERA in the low 3s or below with excellent K rates. If they can find him 75-100 innings, that could be huge. No one in our division has that kind of potential boon sitting there to reap the benefit.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Reyes has 2.3 bwar in 50 ip. If he is healthy as a starter he pitches a minimum of 150 innings. That extrapulates to 6.9 bwar. A huge difference maker. I for one think he could be better after his layoff than he was before.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

However, just to be clear, the Cardinals have already stated an intent to keep Reyes at about 100 innings this season, I believe, and ramp him up to a full starter’s workload in 2020.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think he could be a huge boost to our bullpen this year if he is used there.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The hint was some kind of hybrid or changing role as relievers do not throw 100 innings. They want to be careful with him but also not leave unused innings short of what they think he is capable of.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I never count on him for anything.Whatever you get from him is gravy.Like finding a 20 dollar bill in your pocket you forgot about.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

“The hint was some kind of hybrid or changing role as relievers do not throw 100 innings. They want to be careful with him but also not leave unused innings short of what they think he is capable of.”

I’d love to see Alex kept on a starter’s schedule of rest, but pitch exclusively from the bullpen for at least the first five months. He could gradually escalate the pitch count from 40 in April & May, up to 85-90 by Labor Day and beyond. This would get him the 100-110 or so innings desired by the club — and also have him prepped for 5-6 innings as a playoff starter if needed.

Yes, the bullpen would lose some flexibility, having Reyes available only once every 5-6 days. But he’d also be eating far, far more innings than current conventional relievers, so I’d say that his value would be roughly the same as if he were used for 60-65 high-leverage innings. And I have to believe that the lengthy regular rest would be more likely to keep him healthy.

Actually, now that I think on it, I really don’t see any other possible way to accomplish all of the stated 2019 Reyes goals. So let’s see how bold and analytical and forward-thinking the front office and new manager really are. Let’s see if they’ll try something that nobody else is doing.

3 Inches Squishy
    Participant

Free

Reyes will be the #3 starter in 2019, regardless of what the media or other fans say.

Mikolas-Cmart-Reyes-Flaherty-Wacha

There are two kinds of Cards fans in 2019: 1. fans that understand Alex Reyes has far greater potential than Jack Flaherty.

2. fans that are delusional and clinging to the notion that “Flaherty is a future ace” and blah blah blah.

Stop embarrassing yourselves. Flaherty is Mike Leake without the sinker or pinpoint control. A textbook #4 in reality.

I wouldn’t even start Flaherty in a postseason game (just like Leake)

“A few games over 500” is my official projection for Flaherty. So far Jack is 8-11.

Alex Reyes is my future ace, esp from 2020-2022

In 2019, 150 innings as the #3 is a good bet.

NJ315
    Participant

delusional and clueless. I like it.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

While I’m not totally sold on Flaherty as a future ace (he’s gotta get the homers under control), it’s pretty silly to compare him to Mike Leake. They are completely different types of pitchers, and though they may end up as #4 pitchers, how they get there would be completely different. Personally, I think Jack will be a top of rotation guy at worst who sits on the fringe of #1 status, never quite becoming an ‘ace.’

Reyes could be a capital A ‘ace,’ a bullpen hero or big league flame out. The variety of likely options is much bigger.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Just think where the Cubs would be if they had gotten Flaherty instead of the Cardinals. I don’t blame the troll for being mad.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Folks, let’s not attack posters. Disagree with points made instead. Thank you.

NJ315
    Participant

If you’re referring to my post. I just repeated 3 Inches Squishy words in his two post clueless about Fowler and delusional about Flaherty. I said I like it he comes out making strong assessments. His words not mine.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 451 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.