Alex Reyes Update

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Alex Reyes Update

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 451 total)
  • Author
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

The best LH pitcher in camp (statistically) was Hunter Cervenka.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He got sent out several days back didnt he.Has Tyler Webb shown enough to be Lefty in the pen....arent his splits kind of backwards versus LHB/RHB?

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I could be wrong but I seem to remember Chris Beck did okay versus LHB when he was in the Pen for White Sox.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My mistake.Webb has been better versus LHB his career.Beck better versus RHB.I guess I had Shreve on the brain thinking about the Lefty being better versus RHB.Once again.My mistake.

NJ315
    Participant

The one lefty assured of a bullpen spot has an ugly 1.88 WHIP. One thing I am excellent at is being wrong. I did not like the Norris signing last year and did not like Miller this year. So no worries I will be wrong again.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

So, uh………

Back to Reyes. How will he be used in the pen? At least to start the season?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It looks like it may be Reyes in the eighth and Hicks in the ninth.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I expect it to start that way but my money is on Reyes ending up the closer

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How much fun will that be for opposing hitters? Coming in for the 8th, a guy who throws up to 100 with filthy breaking stuff. Must be a breather compared that for the 9th, huh? Nope… that guy can hit 105 and has a wipeout slider himself. Looking forward to seeing how that plays out.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Reyes 8th and Hicks 9th, eh?

Am I the only one that’s worried by the number of walks they might give up? Whats their stats in spring training so far? Walks to Innings Pitched, that is.

NJ315
    Participant

Reyes 7 IP 6 BB 8 K
    Hicks 6 IP 7 BB 11 K

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Yuck, that is horrible. But you take Spring stats with a grain of salt since there could be some experimenting going on.

But I am leery of a Reyes-Hicks end of game scenario. If they cannot find the plate, we are going to give away a few ball games. I would gladly take dropping those strikeout numbers in half or more, to lower the walk numbers.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m thinking that Carlos Martinez will eventually get the ninth.

dac8b9
    Participant

To be fair to Reyes, he struggled with control his first few outings due to excessive adrenaline, which is understandable given his situation. Once he got that under control, he started getting a lot more strikeouts and fewer walks and hard contact.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

To dac’s point, here is Reyes’ spring detail.

First 2 games, 2 innings: 1 hit, 4 walks, 2 Ks
    Last 5 games, 6 innings: 3 hits, 2 walks, 7 Ks

Feel better now?

NJ315
    Participant

Much better

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well. we are dealing with a player who is very rusty, and hopefully will get better as the season goes along. Perhaps Reyes and Hicks were working on pitches that they will discard after spring training.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Good to see Reyes was better later. Still though, we may see that same thing play out in games that count. He may be a little too amped up early on, then settle in.

We’ll see. These days everyone thinks you need a big strikeout guy in the late innings. And that is great, but the primary characteristic of any pitcher should be command. That is why Dennis Eckersely is a Hall of Famer – the guy just would not walk anybody. He could paint the corners of the plate like few others.

Give me a guy with great command, and I do not care all that much about the speed gun.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m with mud. Eventually we will see Reyes, Hicks, then CMart, with a little Miller sprinkled in here and there. Good night Irene. Game over!

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Give me a guy with great command, and I do not care all that much about the speed gun.

While I generally agree, I was curious about the stats on fastball speed and if hitters were noticeably better against slower pitches. Turns out that they’re pretty good against all fastballs, but below average fastballs are feast time for MLB hitters. Now, this doesn’t take into account breaking balls, of course, but speed definitely does seem to matter.

95+ .734 OPS
    92-94 .754 OPS
    <92 .905 OPS

A Fast Fastball Isn’t Enough Anymore

So, control is huge but you can’t discount the ability to rear back and hit 95+. The other thing is that fastballs aren’t really out pitches, and breaking stuff is quite important. That’s where great command can really shine. So I guess I agree and disagree, Mike.

dac8b9
    Participant

While I generally agree, I was curious about the stats on fastball speed and if hitters were noticeably better against slower pitches. Turns out that they’re pretty good against all fastballs, but below average fastballs are feast time for MLB hitters. Now, this doesn’t take into account breaking balls, of course, but speed definitely does seem to matter.

95+ .734 OPS
    92-94 .754 OPS
    <92 .905 OPS

Thanks for the interesting article, there was some new info for me in it. That being said, that is a worrying article for people like Wainwright and Gomber. After reading that, I’m even more skeptical Wainwright will make it through half the season as a starter. Similarly, the article makes me wonder if Gomber will ever find sustainable success at the major league level that is not driven by fluky batted ball luck like last year.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A record that may never be broken!!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Reyes and Hicks were both nasty last night. Maybe the Cardinal bullpen is not so shaky after all.

Viewing 25 posts - 226 through 250 (of 451 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.