Alex Reyes Update

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Alex Reyes Update

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 451 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Anybody got any news on how Alex Reyes is progressing from his TJ surgery back in February? Do we have an idea if he will be able to pitch on Opening Day next year? And if so, is he most likely going to be a reliever at that point?

r/Rat

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Rats, it is impossible to predict the future. Reyes is progressing normally at this point, but everything will depend on how he looks in March. The Cards could play it safe and ramp his workload up from the bullpen, but no one knows yet how it will play out. Reyes should be a significant part of the 2018 team and will likely get better as the season progresses.

PadsFS
    Participant

I would not put Reyes in the bullpen for any extended period of time. He’s a future ace.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He aint crap until Cards see how his arm is.Why try him in a starters role right off when using him in a long relief role might be easier to slowly ease him into eventually being a starter in late 2018 or 2019.
    Caution is the key word with him.Why chance it ?

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The club might “chance it” if he looks good in the Spring and is able to go 5 or 6 late in the exhibition season. But most likely they will ease him into a longer work load during the season.

PadsFS
    Participant

Because you don’t really know that relieving is easier on the arm than starting. I would honestly start him in Memphis as well. He may not even be ready to pitch until April.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Somewhere around 65 days in Memphis {non rehab time) would push back his FA clock by a year 🙂

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

He’s a future ace. Like Shelby Miller?

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No. Like Clayton Kershaw, or Zack Greinke. He’s got the stuff. The only question remaining is whether or not he has he enough upstairs to be successful with it.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

On the broadcast tonight they showed some footage of Reyes throwing a bullpen session. That gives me high hopes for him being in the rotation at the start of 2018.

r/Rat

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Was he pitching the bullpen off a mound?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It was a real bullpen session of 20 pitches. As an aside, I don’t think that throwing from flat ground or long tossing is considered a bullpen. Anyway, the good news is that Reyes has progressed beyond that. Of course, he still has to get through winter rehab without any setbacks.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Okay, can somebody give me an update here? How has our young phenom pitched in ST so far? Is he going to stay in Florida for an extended ST? And are we still looking at a early May return to the big club?

r/Rat

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Reyes has not pitched in any official games yet. He has thrown multiple innings in multiple simulated games on the back fields. When I saw him, he was topping out at 95 with his offerings a bit up – not surprising. He will open the season on the disabled list. Before long, he is expected to go on a minor league rehab stint to prepare for his early May return.

For those who subscribe, I covered one of Reyes’ recent outings batter by batter.

St. Louis Cardinals Spring Training Camp Notes: March 11

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Time to bump this thread up. Hoping 14NyquisT puts his most recent post on Reyes here.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Reyes could be a nice boost to an already good season…or (like when he was called up) a reason to keep watching if the season goes south. 100 innings this year would be a pretty robust workload considering his late start. He could be a real weapon if he’s stretched out to start but isn’t needed to do just that. A true “fireman” for the late innings.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Its about May 1st and I assume he’s not ready yet. Anything new here? When he does return is he going to the pen? Or perhaps back to starting?

I am going to assume June 1st is the new projected date now.

r/Rat

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Latest news I saw on Reyes was about a week ago. Mo indicated Reyes would start a rehab assign mid-May. He can’t return from DL until May 28, but bet on it being later than that. I’m betting all star break if we’re lucky, but who knows? Mo also indicated Reyes would be rehabbing as a starter, although I wondered in a game day thread if this might change — considering the depth of the ineptitude of this pen Mo has assembled.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s barely been a month

rotation looks solid

good question about Reyes in relief as an option…but with Gregerson coming back from injury and Holland basically still in ST…i am still high on the bullpen

Lyons seems to be righting the ship a bit…not having Sherriff due to his injury i think has hurt us a bit more than we may think…even not having Tuivalala has hurt

i think we have the pieces in MLB and AAA to get to the trade deadline…where we may snag a piece if needed

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

If Reyes starts rehab mid May it is almost certain he is in StL in 30 days or less unless there is a setback.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And what about Cecil? Is he getting closer? If not, he could be moved to the 60 day DL, and basically swap places with Reyes, right?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And shouldn’t Reyes be headed to be headed to a rehab assignment soon?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Reyes continues to throw in games in Florida, including against external competition, albeit Mets extended spring training hitters.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Reyes had a very good first outing. I am guessing when the time comes, barring injury or trade, Sosa or Voit will lose their 40 man spot. I wonder if they don’t envision an Andrew Miller type role for him.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Can he hit?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 451 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years