Albert Pujols

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Albert Pujols

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 424 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

he seems a lock IMO to sign a one day contract to retire a Cardinal

his “bad” last year was still pretty productive…i think he will still be of some use to the ANgels as they try to compete

i dont care what his last year says…when he comes up to the plate no pitcher wants to see him…even at 38… on a team where he is supposed to carry that team with ihis production he is a poor option now…but as a complement to other gusy he might just be a perfect old veet

sure you put the performance with the salary and it seems dumb…but that is what the ANgels signed up for when they outbid the Cardinals…but as a 4th option for production he looks like he has plenty left to give…this Angels team might be pretty fun to watch

C-Maldonado
    1-Cron/Ohtani/Pujols
    2-Kinsler
    3-Cozart
    SS-Simmons
    (pretty impressive infield defense on the left side)
    LF-Upton
    CF-Trout
    RF-Calhoun
    DH-Pujols/Ohtani

I dunno that offense should be just fine…i dont know if the pitching is gonna work out but Pujols’ production shoudlnt hurt that offense IMO

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pujols has a 10 year personal services agreement with the Angels that starts upon the completion of his contract, or retirement, whichever comes first. That would make it seem that he would be wearing an Angels cap when he is inducted into the HOF. I’m sure glad we’re not stuck with his contract with the way he’s performed since he became a free agent.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No, Pujols’ 2017 was bad. It was so bad that his WAR last season among MLB hitters was DEAD LAST.

Also, I have to laugh. Last year at this time, Will Leitch wrote about Pujols’ decline. I guess he has to do it annually!

https://www.sportsonearth.com/article/215966474/albert-pujols-decline-angels-cardinals

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I do not think a personal services contract or any current employment dictates cap insignia for the Hall of Fame.

Pujols’ preference will be an interesting call. He could pull a TLR and ask for it to be blank.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cards dodged the bullet when he took the Angels offer, no doubt about it. On the flip side of that argument we never really have had that one feared guy in our lineup since he left. Beltran and Holliday were somewhat feared but both on the downsides of their career. Allen Craig was short lived.

Also, I would say that I find it strange that MLB hasn’t had the Angels come to Busch since Albert left. The whole interleague scheduling system leaves a lot to be desired IMO but that is another topic I suppose.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

At WWU, Mo hinted the Angels may be coming to Busch in 2019.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

What a fail on MLB’s part. 8 years later? Well be lucky if hes still playing.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, Pujols would have to be able to play first base or just pinch hit in St. Louis. Because of his feet, he only played in the field a handful of times last season. However, starting this season, he is going to have to play more often in the field to make room for Ohtani to DH on some of the days he is not pitching.

At least the AL has the DH. The Cards would have been in a bad place had Pujols remained.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

He’s nearing the end. Just wondering what you guys think might be his stats this year. What kind of numbers do you think he can have in 2018? And will this be his last year since he will snag his 3,000th hit probably around the May/June timeframe. Here’s my guess:

.265/28/91

Will play again in 2019.

r/Rat

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

How fat did he report to camp?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Just in base salary alone, this is what Pujols would leave on the table if he stopped playing.

18:$27M, 19:$28M, 20:$29M, 21:$30M

Then, there are these:

milestone bonuses: $3M for 3,000 hits, $7M for 763 HRs

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

A quick internet search indicates he lost around 12-15 pounds.

Albert Pujols has lost weight this offseason, hoping to play more first base

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Cardinals management had it right in the negotiations with Albert, offering him a 7 year deal. That would have made this his last year on the agreement. He could have cemented a legacy here. But the Angels offered a ridiculous deal that would make anyone walk away from their former employer.

The club would certainly be in a higher risk situation with Albert’s contract had he stayed on a 10-year deal, but they would have figured a way to pay it.

The team also dodged a bullet when Jason Heyward walked, although he still has a chance to be productive. But after two years his deal looks bad as well. It’s a little easier to take for the Cubs since they are 2-for-2 on division titles since signing him, and have a ring. But they’ve won despite Heyward rather than because of him. The Angels have only one post-season trip since inking Albert I believe, but look to be contenders this year. Again though, they look good on paper despite Albert.

Predictions? It depends somewhat on how Ohtani’s role evolves. I’ll go with .255/18/67 on BA, homers and RBI.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Albert can stay on the field I can see him putting up a .240/25/85 line. The key will be staying on the field. They intend to play him more at 1B this year so Ohtani can DH, which increases the chance of injury for Albert.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

A comment on Albert’s Hall of Fame plaque. He really should be shown in a Cardinal cap, as those are the years that put him on the map.

He is a little like Frank Robinson in a way, except Robinson still had great years in Baltimore. Frank played longer in Cincinnati though, yet his HOF cap is as an Oriole.

I think as long as there is no bad blood between Albert and the Cardinal organization when he is inducted, he’ll be shown as a Cardinal. But if there is a falling out somewhere along the line, he will no doubt pressure the Hall to have him in an Angels cap.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bikemike, it seems to me you are wanting Pujols to be the opposite of Robinson – to go in with his first team logo, not the second one.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Pujols, shmujols…. move on. Logo, schmogo… really? MHO.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

His best years were with the Cardinals, but he reached the major milestones with the Angels.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Any chance the Cardinals could trade for Albert, if the Angels ate a good chunk of salary? Just not sure if he can play defense any more. The only reason I ask, is that Ohtani is now the Angels new toy. Perhaps trade Carpenter for him.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I would not trade Carpenter for Pujols if Albert’s Cardinals salary was zero. What good to a National League team is a DH who cannot run because of chronic bad feet? It would cripple what is already a very short four-man bench. Maybe acquire him during his last partial season as a farewell so he can pinch hit and take bows to the fans, but not for four more years. No way.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If the NL adopted the DH…i’d listen a little but i woudlnt eat almost any money AND definitely not Carpenter

as a DH with emergency 1b ability MAYBE

and as Brian said a late season low to zero cost acquisition for bows and MAYBE DH in the postseason…id be up for it..heck i might even give a little bit more as he is a red jacket guy

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I think Hall of Famers should have the cap insignia for the team they are most identified with. For Albert, that will be St. Louis. He was a multi-MVP, two-time world champ, and all star with the Cardinals. He’s just playing out the string in Los Angeles. For some guys that is hard to do. Nolan Ryan could have been an Angel, Astro or Ranger. I think of him mostly as an Angel, but his plaque shows him as a Ranger.

Orlando Cepeda won his only championship and MVP with the Cardinals, but his best years were with the Giants. He rightly has a Giants cap on his HOF plaque. Speaking of which, he is in the hospital after a fall earlier in the week. Hopefully he is doing well.

Robinson was a toss-up, as he had two distinct and great careers, one with each organization. He also played with a few other teams, but like Albert now he was just playing out his career with them and not the dominant player of his Reds and Orioles days. There was some bad blood between him and the Reds for awhile, but as I understand it that was resolved and he has been back there a few times, including a ceremony where his number was retired.

I met Robinson last summer and got his autograph on a ’62 Topps card, which was from his Reds days. Unfortunately it was not a setting where you could really talk to him though.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Well I associated Vlad Guerrero with the Expos more so than the Angels but he is going in as an Angel.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There will be ample time to monitor how the Hall manages these decisions over the next nine years, which is when Pujols will first be eligible. His personal input could be important.

One should not forget that at that point, he will be in year one of a 10-year personal services contract with the Angels, following the most recent 10 years playing for that team. That just might skew his opinion. Then again, he may or may not care about his cap logo.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 424 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.