Affiliate observations

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate observations

This topic contains 306 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Brian Walton 3 days, 12 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 307 total)
  • Author

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

C’mon Bw52, don’t duck the challenge! 😉

Which three would you drop from Mayers/Valera/Wick/Sosa/Diaz/Lucas to make room for your three? As I see it, those are the choices.

Bw52
    Participant

Mayer’s,Sosa,Mejia.Mayer’s because he has been pretty bad in most of his chances and I would chance him passing waivers.Sosa because he is a ways away from the Majors and Cards have other INF options coming up the system (Edman,Robertson).
    Mejia- like his glove but he looks like Deal Maxvill lite .Using your options I would have to chance Lucas as a drop.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Since Mejia is already with St. Louis, the organization has apparently decided he is not coming off the 40-man this month. That is why I did not include him.

What do others think? Would you prefer O’Neill, Wisdom and Montgomery with StL for the final 10 days given the associated potential risk of losing Mayers, Sosa and/or Lucas as a result?

Bw52
    Participant

Yes I would Brian. O’Neill could be a potential starting OF in the near future.Montgomery deserves the same chance Mayer’s got.As for Sosa no big deal (see Kramer Robertson,Tommy Edman coming up through the system and Edman already in AAA).

PadsFS
    Participant

I wouldn’t risk losing Sosa, but I don’t care much for Mayers or Meija.

mudville
    Participant

Don’t waste an option on O’Neill. We already have enough Montgomery(s). Drop Wick or Lucas. Lets see what Wisdom looks like at third base in St. Louis.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

They could release Rosario. They have shown MM isnt going to use Kelly or Molina anywhere else.

They most likely will drop one middle infielder in the off season. My guess it will be Mejia. No reason to keep him an extra 10 days.

No point in bringing up.Montgomery to drop a guy just as good.

If they want to waive the white flag, no reason not to go ahead and drop Oh or Duke.

forsch31
    Participant

Mud, they wouldn’t be wasting an option on O’Neill. My understanding is that he has to be protected this winter from the Rule V draft. The first option year would be in 2018 if he is sent down for at least 10(?) days.

PadsFS
    Participant

If we are worried about O’Neill’s options, then he is likely going to be Grichuk 2.0 and isn’t nearly the prospect I hoped he was. Adding a 39th player to the 25 man roster seems pretty silly.

Outfielders currently on the 25 –> Pham, Fowler, Piscotty, Grichuk, Martinez, Bader, Sierra, Valera, and even Diaz and Wong have played out there. I like several of them better than O’Neill as a PH as well for this year and I didn’t even mention Kelly and Voit.

Remember, Kelly had an .834 OPS at AAA this year, compared to .837 for O’Neill (including the playoffs, .820 without them)

And Luke Voit had a .972 OPS at AAA. Voit would’ve likely eclipsed the 30 HR mark just as easily as O’Neill and carried a .300 average to boot. Positionally, O’Neill is better, but not as a PH for a pennant (wild card?) race or for the outfield over vastly superior defenders.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by  PadsFS.

Bw52
    Participant

Pads you forget that Voit is 26 years old in AAA close to the age of many of the players he played against.ONeill is younger than most of the people he played against in AAA.zoNeill has better plate discipline than Grichuk and has some speed to go with a good arm and is the best power prospect in the system.So what`s not to like other than a infatuation for banjo bat slap hitter rabbits that many seem to favor.I think too many think Whiteyball is just suddenly going to start again.

Bw52
    Participant

In my opinion ONeill is a better prospect than Mercado because he played at a higher league (AAA) and held his own at a younger age.Mercado is older and although he hit for higher average he still struckout over 100 times with much less power and RBIs in AA.He did steal 30 plus bases but ONeill stole 14 bases also and hit 31 HRS 95 RBIs.Mercado hit 13 HRs 46 RBIs. As for Jose Adolis Garcia he is older than both ONeill and Mercado and he certainly flashes some tools but lets see what he can do over a full season in AAA before annnoiting him for anything.

PadsFS
    Participant

I’m specifically addressing O’Neill getting called up this year. O’Neill is a much better prospect long-term.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Steve Jones, “Voice of the Spikes” since club’s inaugural season, wins the New York-Penn League’s 2017 Warner Fusselle Award as top broadcaster.

http://thecardinalnation.com/spikes-steve-jones-named-nypl-broadcaster-of-the-year/

14NyquisT
    Participant

Kyle Reis has put out an system-wide positional All-Star team with HMs. He makes an informative case for his selections the is not data riddled. Even if you don’t agree with his selections there’s some interesting info on some of the up and comers in the organization. Uniquely, he has left out all of the prospects now on the active roster of the Cardinals. Check it out.

Cardinals: 2017 End Of Season Minor League All-Star Team

14NyquisT
    Participant

The signing of the 3 MiLB free agents – Rangel Ravelo, Jordan Schafer and Leobaldo Pina offer some opportunity for two of the three. Ravelo was the MEM first baseman and had a great season, however with John Nogowski set to move up to AAA (participant in AFL) and the possibility of Voit not making the big team, doesn’t that create a situation for all three? Who’s on first? Ravelo can also play the OF but the Memphis outfield may also be crowded. RR may have some trouble getting playing time.

The Springfield OF will have more possibilities for Schafer, so he has been signed for depth there?

Pina played primarily at 3B for Palm Beach with some 1B mixed in. One would guess that the PB infield will look something like Yepes-Trosclair-Robertson-Mendoza with Pina finding a backup role. There is the possibility a couple of releases there and some depth would be helpful (Hudzina and J.R.Davis might not be back). The organization sometimes will have the better offensive players skip PB since it has some drawbacks for them. The INFers mentioned should all advance from Peoria in any case.

I don’t know where to pencil Ravelo in, but a guy that can hit .314 at AAA should be able to have the organization find ABs for him somewhere. How Nogowski fares in the AFL will hold some clues.

PadsFS
    Participant

From the article above, I doubt Seferina will be at AAA. He only had 200 AA PAs and I’m sure one of Mejia and Valera will be on the AAA team along with Edman and Aledmys Diaz at SS and Patrick Wisdom at 3B.

I’m assuming Edman stays at AAA given Sosa is healthy and will be at AA next year.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

The way I do it is to project every roster with only 25 guys, starting with St. Louis on down. It is a lot harder that way, but ends up being more realistic.

As a point of reference, Memphis opened 2017 with three middle infielders – Valera, DeJong and Tovar. My best guess today for 2018 is Valera, Mejia and Diaz. No room for either Edman or Seferina.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Pads, I did my preliminary 2018 system rosters yesterday. Like Brian, I start with StL and work backwards. I have Diaz in StL but only 12 pitchers on the roster. I have Ravelo at AAA but I am still one over on my roster. I have Nogaski in the AA outfield and there should be plenty of room there. Schaffer is listed in my AA bullpen but there could be space in the AA outfield as well. Seferina I have starting in AA but I have Pina as a bench player at AA. We have a MI shortage at AA and I assume that is one of the reasons they signed him.

I expect a lot of changes though before the season starts.

Why do you think Hudzina is on the bubble? I’ve heard his defense is good and his OPS was almost equal Mendoza’s at Peoria (though Mendoza is younger).

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

CC, didn’t StL run with 13 pitchers pretty much all season this year? And that was with a veteran, stable rotation from 1-5. The top five starters all made from between 23 and 33 starts each.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

I dont know how stable a group they were. In any case, I’m hopeful a new pitching coach can convince MM of the error of his ways!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

From last year’s group, only Wainwright missed significant time due to injury and he still made 23 starts. Most believe the 2018 rotation will be considerably less experienced than the 2017 group. That means the 2018 bullpen will likely be expected to throw more innings. I could argue they may want to go with nine relievers! 😉

14NyquisT
    Participant

I would like to see how others predict the rotations, as of today, for STL-MEM-SPRF in 2018. If you are down to PB and PEO, that would be interesting also.

StL= Martinez-Wainwright-Wacha-Weaver-Flaherty (Al Reyes later on).

MEM – Hudson-Herget-Helsley-Gallen and Perace finished the season there. Helsley made three starts in Sept.
    Gallen made 3 starts in June/July and 3 in Sept. Pearce made 12 starts and Herget made 11 in
    July/Aug/Sept.
    The traffic jam starts at Memphis and dominoes downward. So many good arms waiting to up move up.

PadsFS
    Participant

I have it as:

STL:
    Martinez, Wacha, Wainwright, Weaver, Reyes, Gant (likely Reyes opens on “rehab”)

Memphis:
    Alcantara, Hudson, Flaherty, Gallen, Gomber, Pearce (Herget in bullpen)

Springfield:
    Woodford, Fernandez, Helsley, Ellis, C. Jones

Palm Beach:
    Gonzalez, Santos, Tewes, O’Reilly, ???

Backfill if everyone is healthy, which would be ridiculous.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  PadsFS.

Derek Shore
    Participant

Don’t forget about Hicks.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

StL

Wainwright
    Martinez
    Wacha
    Weaver
    Flaherty

Brebbia
    Cecil
    Lyons
    Sherrif
    Bowman
    Lucas
    Alcantra
    Tui

(Giving in and putting 8 guys in the bullpen)

AAA

Hudson
    Poncedeleon
    Gant
    Gallon
    Gomber

Hensley (closer)
    Mayers
    Wick
    Pearce
    Ar Reyes
    Morales
    Ellis
    Nielsen

AA
    Hicks
    Jones
    Woodford
    Fernandez
    Santos

Evans
    Gonzalez
    Martinez
    Bray
    Aries
    Schafer
    Martinez
    Perez

A+
    O’Neill
    Tewes
    Parra
    Oxnevard
    Dobzanski

Bowen
    Tilley
    Medina
    Carter
    Sexton
    Almante
    Williams
    Kilichowski

Littrel, Hawkins, Beck – no room at the inn?

Viewing 25 posts - 176 through 200 (of 307 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years