Affiliate observations

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate observations

This topic contains 306 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Brian Walton 3 days, 13 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 307 total)
  • Author

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Hey, I’m CC!

Valera did not use an option by being called up for a few days. That option was already burnt when he was optioned to Memphis to open the season.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Keith Law lists Delvin Perez as one of the handful of MLB prospects who lost the most ground in 2017. He also scouted an Oviedo start last month and saw the same diminished velocity I noted this spring and again later. He likes the addition of Nicasio at the cost of Alvarez, if the former can help the Cards reach the playoffs.

http://www.espn.com/blog/keith-law/insider/post?id=7639 (ESPN Insider)

14NyquisT
    Participant

BW, this is the kind of info that helps form opinions.

14NyquisT
    Participant

GDI, they had the champagne on ice.

14NyquisT
    Participant

It must be very exciting for Tommy Edman and Jeremy Martinez to be playing for Memphis in the AAA Championship game tomorrow evening. Last year in Sept. they were teammates at State College(NYPL) the high-rookie organization team, helping the Spikes to a League Championship. Martinez’ solid showing since he was called up to play for the Redbirds should erase all of the problems he had earlier on at Palm Beach. His numbers improved as he went from PB to SPRF to MEM, very impressive. This will no doubt put him back on most top-50 lists, probably in the 25-30 area. All things being equal… he should start ’18 at AA Springfield.

He should be the starting C for Hudson in the finale, the last MiLB game for ’17. MLB has he pegged at #24 (8-7-17)and BW had him at #35 (8-15-17). He should place in the 20-25 range. Right now, I think Springfield will be his landing spot in ’18 also.
    Good Luck guys.

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by  14NyquisT.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

I can only speak for myself, but I am not ready to proclaim Martinez’ 22 at-bats at Memphis erasing an entire season of futility at Palm Beach.

Further, at Springfield, he went 3-for-15. Technically, .200 is higher than his .189 at Palm Beach, but I can’t see how that was enough of an improvement to elicit praise.

14NyquisT
    Participant

He is catching for MEM in the AAA Championship game! It’s not only his bat that should be considered here. I see his glass half full…. you may see it empty and leave him off your list again. I know you’ll do as you see fit. It should be interesting though.

You’re starting to warm up to me I’ve been noticing. 🙂

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Martinez is doing well with his opportunity, but let’s not forget why he is with Memphis. He is there because Rosario is in StL, Jenner is injured and Knizner is going to the AFL.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Agreed, Brian. He was pretty bad in Palm Beach and only got promoted truly due to injuries in Memphis. If Jenner hadn’t got injured he wouldn’t be there.

14NyquisT
    Participant

So you think Lino should be catching? I’ll call up Stubby and pass that along.

You left Martinez off your Aug. top 50 despite him being a 4th rd. draftee in ’16. Yet you kept Donovan Williams(14 rd/’17) on at #50. Williams finished up with a .204 BA 1 double, 2 3b and 1 HR in 98 ABs at GCL. You can’t point to his defense…. 5 OF errors in 33 games.

bccran
    Participant

Williams over Martinez is a bit skewed.

Derek Shore
    Participant

Martinez being a Top 30 prospect, much less Top 40, is a big time reach. I prefer Ortega over Martinez.

PadsFS
    Participant

I like Martinez, but he had a very poor season. Knizner is likely much more likely to be a part of the future.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I agree, Knizner is the real deal. Ortega and Martinez just add to the depth that we are finally starting to see the organization fostering.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I just read over my initial comment this AM and inadvertently neglected to mention Edman as the #24 MLB prospect etc. My bad.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

No one said anything about Lino. It is great that Martinez is playing ahead of him, but it has nothing to do with Rosario, Jenner or Knizner, which are the only names I cited.

bccran, if comparing a month-old in-season number #50 ranking of a first-year player (Williams) vs. an unranked player having a very rough season overall (Martinez) is what you hang your hat on, debate away. It just won’t be with me. Williams did not finish strongly, but that has nothing to do with Martinez. (P.S. If I was re-ranking today, I would be more inclined to add one of the honorable mentions such as Kramer Robertson before Martinez.)

Draft rounds matter very little after players log a couple of professional seasons of results, especially college players.

What started this whole discussion was what I feel is an unrealistically rosy assessment of Martinez’ turnaround based on three good games at the plate (of two hits each) at a new level.

Cards1776
    Participant

The whole idea that a player should be ranked based upon past draft order OR continue to be highly ranked when they have not performed is ridiculous. Only those players who perform, produce, and persevere deserve the recognition. Draft order is an indication of possible potential… if one does not live up to the expectation or outright bombs, draft order position should not keep a player in the rankings. Simply put, prove it or lose it!

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by  Cards1776.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Martinez’ babip was only .215 despite an above avg line drive rate. Walk rate remains decent. I think he’ll bounce back.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Lisa Ferreira has been promoted to GM of the River City Rascals. Her husband Tony is the Cards top minor league staffer under Gary LaRocque.

https://ballparkdigest.com/2017/09/19/river-city-rascals-promote-lisa-ferreira-to-gm/

P.S. The Cardinals picked up Austin Warner from River City this summer, a nice addition.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Thanks for the link, Brian. A nice article and good to see women being promoted in front offices. Also, its interesting that the Cards have this connection with the Frontier League after we picked up 3 frontier guys during the season.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Cards1776 wrote:

The whole idea that a player should be ranked based upon past draft order OR continue to be highly ranked when they have not performed is ridiculous. Only those players who perform, produce, and persevere deserve the recognition. Draft order is an indication of possible potential… if one does not live up to the expectation or outright bombs, draft order position should not keep a player in the rankings. Simply put, prove it or lose it!
    ********************************************************************************************************
    There have been those believing in varying degrees that potential as an indicator of future success. I’m with you concerning production as a better one. Both should be considered. Where one puts more emphasis makes for differences in each ranking.
    Also, one needs to equate the player’s age and the level he’s playing at. A good example of this is 19 y.o. Dylan Carlson playing at Peoria where the average age of players is 22/23.

Cards1776
    Participant

14Nyquist, I agree with you 100 percent about looking at age and the level a player is playing! The Cardinals have several good young prospects who are producing AND moving through the system very quickly. One surely can’t ignore it when the numbers and stats prove worthiness! 🙂

14NyquisT
    Participant

Well, the curtain has come down on the MiLB season and although MEM didn’t win last night’s game vs. Durham, it was a good opportunity to see some of the younger guys playing their hearts out. If you missed the throw that JAGarcia made from RF to 3rd base to nail Kane Wong going from 1st to 3rd on a bleeder through the infield, you didn’t see a strong throw that was right on the money. The type of throw that the runner just runs into, in this case, Diaz merely had to catch the ball. Very sweet.

Hudson was in and out of trouble in his three innings. Clapp went with the all hands on deck approach with the pitching staff…. maybe not the wisest of decisions.
    Ultimately, it was Kolten’s brother, Wong Jr., that did us in with three his and a grand slam off of Zeid. You could almost feel something was brewing when Zeid hit a batter on an 0-2 count to start the inning off. I have this thing about putting the lead-off man on base.

The announcer and commentator Jim Kaat made numerous mistakes with background info and there was a on-the-field interviewer that wouldn’t shut up as the game, at times, became secondary. Kaat did bring up several times that the hitters were doing the right things ie. moving runners up etc. He continued that these things aren’t seen nearly as much in MLB. He also noted that the prospects who helped run up the early season wins were now playing for the Cardinals. You know who they are.

All in all it was two pretty good set of rosters playing for pride.

14NyquisT
    Participant

There’s still plenty of MiLB stories, facts, personal lists to exchange and just info that apply to this topic, that can be posted here during the off season (hot stove circuit). Three months and 12 days until New Year’s Day. I get chilly just writing that.

Bw52
    Participant

Several guys playing for Memphis looked good last night.Hudson had some good stuff when he was pitching.Lots of movement and break.Montgomery did okay also.Even Mayers looked okay.Garcia definately showed a good arm and accuracy but he wasn’t throwing from the warning track.Still a damn fine throw and nice to see.O’Neill looked good and played pretty good CF.Martini kind of disappointed.Durhams pitchers had many Redbirds beating the ball into the ground quite often.Too bad Cards FO isn’t giving O’Neill or Montgomery or Wisdom a callup to get some MLB experience.I know it would require some roster juggling but be proactive instead of running in place.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 307 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.