Affiliate observations

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate observations

This topic contains 306 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Brian Walton 3 days, 3 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 307 total)
  • Author

Derek Shore
    Participant

I’m sure the corresponding move for Flaherty will be announced right after his call-up becomes official.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Well, as it turns out… it wasn’t Gomber after all. It’s Helsley. Flaherty’s spot in the MEM rotation would have been last nite’s wash out. Gant’s spot would have been tonite… now, Helsley’s day to pitch would be tonite which fits right in. Helsley might have been the guy they wanted in MEM anyway.

Maybe not the case for Springfield which just got news of Connor Jones’ “promotion” from Palm Beach. Is it really a promotion or just the way Jones’ scheduled day to pitch was yesterday, so he’s ready to go. Not that it matters much for the beach bums who have been eliminated from the playoffs. It should be O’Reilly, Tewes (pronounced Tavis… like Davis), and Woodford to wind down PB’s season on Sept. 3rd.

Johnson City ended it’s season yesterday 7.5 games back and out of the playoffs. That’s a far cry from the Cards Championship team from last year. The ’16 JC team featured a killer offense, something this team never got close to.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

You forget that Palm Beach won its division in the first half so will continue in the playoffs. We’ve been reminding readers of that in our PB Notebooks. 😉

Johnson City needed just one more win to get the wild card, but lost seven straight at the absolutely worst possible time.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Ouch…. PB = senior moment. I knew that they qualified all along. Had it written down in many places among my notes to self. Slipped my mind for a moment… red-faced. I’ve been keeping up with the races closely and I read the notebooks… I read the notebooks.

Regarding JC, Seijas, Guillory and Prendergast pitched some good games during the collapse. The bullpen messed things up. The Cards scored 22 runs over the last 7, but gave up 61. Tsk,tsk.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Jeremy Martinez has had a season to forget. However, yesterday for Memphis he got the start as catcher and ran wild. It was wild… he was 1 for 3 but scored 4 runs. In the 3rd, he walked and eventually scored on a Martini groundout. He singled in the 4th and then scored on an O’Neill single. In the fifth, he walked and later scored on a Martini single and in the ninth he reached on an error and was able to score on a SF by Martini.

The Redbirds put up 15 runs on the scoreboard and were helped by 4 errors by Colorado Springs. I’m not quite sure if any prospect scored 4 times in one game this season… but I’m 100% sure no one did it while getting only 1 hit.

The funny thing is that it was the first game JeMartinez has played for Memphis! His catching partner Gabriel Lino also has 4 runs, but in 68 ABs. This time last year, Jeremy was leading the SS-A level State College Spikes to a Championship season. This season he started out at Palm Beach and struggled mightily. A couple of injuries to the system’s catchers and bingo he’s at AAA and running wild.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Schafer is hitting .474 in 5 AAA games. Hope he doesn’t get illuded into thinking he can make it as a position player.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Palm Beach opens it’s play-offs at Fort Myers tonite in a best of 3 series. PB was 6-6 against FtM during the season but a 0-4 series at FtM July 7/7 – 7/10 really stung. The Cards should be going with Jake Woodford in the opening road game and then Ramon Santos at home on Wednesday, followed by Mike O’Reilly Thursday also at home (if necessary).

Against FtM, Woodford was 2-1, Santos 1-0 and O’Reilly didn’t face them.

Should PB move on they will be missing Sam Tewes who went on the DL yesterday. They do have Evan Guillory from Johnson City who started his first game at Adv.-A level on Sunday. Right now the Cards have only 10 Ps on their roster and 13 position players.

The Peoria Chiefs will start their best of 3 series against Quad-Cities at home on Wednesday. Then they’ll play two games at Q-C Thursday and Friday. If their rotation follows its’ regular schedule it should be Ian Oxnevad – Evan Kruczynski and Frederis Parra (if necessary).

Memphis begins it’s best of 5 vs. Colorado Springs on Wednesday with 2 at home and the next 3 (if necessary) at Col.Spr. Hudson will be pitching game 1 and should be followed by Helsley, Pearce and Gallen. Hudson started the season at SPRF (AA) and this will be his 8th start for the Redbirds. Pearce (SPRF) will be starting his 11th game at AAA. Helsley pitched most of ’17 at Palm Beach then moved up to SPRF for 6 starts and this will be his second start for MEM. Gallen (PB) who started 3 games for Mem back at the end of June into July and then came back to the Redbirds for a start yesterday. He also pitched at Palm Beach and Springfield.

The recent call-ups to St. Louis for Flaherty and Gant has given the new Redbirds to show what they have. Kevin Herget has also been part of the Redbird’s rotation since his conversion from the bullpen.

Memphis opened the season with a rotation of Weaver, Ellis, Mayers, Zeid and Poncedeleon. Tyler Lyons also made 4 starts very early on.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Good analysis
    With about 10 days to go in the season Springfield, State College and Johnson City were in position to make the playoffs but they all tanked, particularly Johnson City with 7 straight losses.

Bull pen woes were a big culprit. Springfield just had no effective bullpen guys down the stretch and Johnson City struggled with both starters and bullpen.

Memphis has an uphill struggle as they have a lot of parts missing from the team that dominated the league most of the season.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Hurricane Irma has turned the Florida State League play-offs to a one night Co- Championship round. If Palm Beach loses the first game tonite, they’ll play another game to determine the Co-Champion. Our pitcher of the month Ramon Santos will pitch the first game and presumably Mike O’Reilly would pitch the deciding game (if necessary). In essence, the Cardinals have to win one of the two games tonite.

The Tampa Yankees face the same situation after beating Dunedin last night in 10. They’ll face the same scenario having to win just one of two. All things being correct…. The Cards and Yanks will share the Championship. Irma, if the weather models are right, will slam into southern Florida on Saturday and continue right up the peninsula. Closing down the League early will prevent a chaotic end to the FSL’s operations.

14NyquisT
    Participant

What I observed Thursday was a whole lot of nothing. Organizational games=4 wins=0 runs=2. Except for STL, not that many hits either.

14NyquisT
    Participant

MEM placed Ravelo on the DL… thus ending his season. RR had a nice season with the Redbirds hitting .314. Martini has been playing 1B in his absence. With the open spot, MEM brought up Jacob Wilson. Wilson (27) was nearly out of the organization last off-season, never living up to the potential he had when he batted over .300 in 2014. He was ranked high up as a prospect then but lost favor with with sub-par seasons in ’15 & ’16. He had a good ’17 pre-season and was placed on the Springfield roster. He batted .304 in July and had 17 HRs during the course of the season and ended up at .248.

Where Wilson ends up next season is still in doubt… he has played a good number of games at 2B & 3B for MEM and SPFD, but like I said he’s 27 y.o. and time may be running out for him especially with so many younger guys moving past him.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I’m feeling a little under the weather today!! One major loss and an elimination is tough to get through.

You can’t blame Diaz for that Redbird 16-15 loss last night… 3 doubles! The usually trustworthy bullpen caved. And who would have thought that Helsley would’ve pick this game to pitch his worse outing of the season. Same for Shew for Peoria which was eliminated in their series. UGH.

14NyquisT
    Participant

The Memphis Redbirds record-breaking season comes down to one game (semi-finals). Last night they needed 10 to keep their hopes alive, winning 11-8. JAGarcia (3-6 HR) and Tyler O’Neill (3-6 4RBI) lead the offense which has produced a second wild and high scoring game in Colorado Springs (MIL). Zac Gallen was not effective going 5.0inn 4ER 8H 6k 1HR.

Today’s game will pit Matt Pearce vs. a TBA opponent… COL SP has no real solid options. A win for the Redbirds will send them into the championship series vs. the El Paso Chihuahuas (SD) who swept Reno (ARI) in three. The Redbirds would then play at home TUE & WED. and go down to El Paso for the next three (if nec.).

MEM would likely pitch Hudson and Herget in the two home games. GO REDBIRDS.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Memphis won 13-10 to advance to the PCL finals. Diaz, O’Neill and Garcia 8 hits and 8 runs. Wisdom 4 batted in with a first inning homer. O’Neill and Garcia also a first inning homer.

Mayer an effective relief outing. Zied allowed one of Pearce’s runners to score and got the win regardless. I hate to see him come into the game.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

I hope something has clicked with O’Neil. Over his last 10 regular season games and the playoffs he has cut his k rate almost in half to abot 15%. He hasn’t sacrificed offense hitting well over .300 with an OPS over 1.100 during that time.

Another outfielder that has been overlooked is Adolis Garcia. Even though he spent significant time in AA, in his time in AAA he has shown he is major league ready.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

He was playing in colorado for a huge part of that stretch

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

And Colorado air reduces strikeouts?

14NyquisT
    Participant

Dang…. that was sweet. The redbirds had another hi-scoring event in the mountains of Colorado. The post-season batting #s are terrific, the pitching stats not so good but just as high. The bullpen really struggled with the conditions out there. The combined 3 game scores= Memphis- 39 Col.Sprgs- 34.

OK…. we move on. Bring on the Mexican Devil Dogs. (El Paso Chihuahuas). In a 4 game series at home May 11-14, MEM won 3 out of 4. The starters with their Game Scores:
    5/11 ArReyes- (59) W IP-7.0 MEM won 6-4
    5/12 Mayers- (23) L IP-4.1 MEM lost 4-7
    5/13 Weaver- (68) W IP-7.0 MEM won 10-1
    5/14 MGonzales(71) nd IP-7.0 MEM won 6-5 Lucas=WP

It’s a different bunch of guys pitching now, the starters should be Hudson-Herget-Helsley
    Gallen-Pearce (if nec.)

Although he went 0-5 and 2 Ks last night, Jeremy Martinez was the starting catcher. Last year on 9/9/16 he was catching the final game of the Championship series for State College (SS-A) which the Spikes won 6-5 behind Carson Cross. That’s four levels that he has climbed…. and he had a poor season by his standards. (MLB dropped him from their top-30 last month after he was #28 in July) The organization must like his defense, game calling and leadership. Hopefully, he’ll have a better ’18, probably at Springfield because Knizner will block him at AAA. The 4th round pick in ’16 may pay high dividends.

Aledmys Diaz should get a call up when the Memphis final game is finished. Another 2 doubles on Sunday.

14NyquisT
    Participant

VEB’s Ben Markham has a good analysis on the value of the Card’s farm system.

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2017/9/11/16284690/cardinals-prospect-list-organizational-rankings

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by UConn Card UConn Card.
    • This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by UConn Card UConn Card. Reason: edited to activate link
    UConn Card
    UConn Card

14NyquisT,
    FYI, my repeated edits was a failed attempt on my part to make the link work.

UC

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

I doubt it drops them much beyond confidence helping… He’s been doing something right.

I can be a bit hyped up about the quality of our minors at times…in a good way mostly… It was just an obvious point to me.

Memphis won… It doesn’t have to be perfect lol

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

How to activate links.

Click on REPLY.
    Click on the LINK box, just above, third from the left.
    Paste in the URL in the URL and LINK TEXT boxes.
    Hit the ADD LINK box at the lower right.

UConn Card
    UConn Card

I did that. Repeatedly. No luck. Glad you have the magic touch..

14NyquisT
    Participant

CC, the story can be found on the Post-Dispatch site.

14NyquisT
    Participant

First day since March… no pitching summaries… no box scores. Well, the Cards and the Redbirds continue their conquests tonight.

WTH… Valera back to Memphis??? Why was an option wasted? I doubt it had to do with the PCL finals. Now the Redbirds have to make move somewhere. What am I missing here?

Viewing 25 posts - 126 through 150 (of 307 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.