Affiliate observations

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate observations

This topic contains 974 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Avatar UncleDenny 1 hour, 34 minutes ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 926 through 950 (of 975 total)
  • Author
    14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You can’t be confident of any of the starting STL outfielders having a very successful season. Bader may be closest to being one and JoMartinez should be OK. Ozuna? Fowler??? O’Neill? Robinson? and there’s AGarcia who will go to Memphis.

In addition to Garcia Memphis might get O’Neill or Robinson, or both to start the season depending on how Ozuna and Fowler perform. Hopefully Thomas will be ready to go and with Garcia and Arozarena. Even with Williams at EST the AAA outfield will be fine. Carlson might show up during the season also.

AA Springfield Pinder-Carlson-Hurst sounds solid, plus Capel, Mieses, Drake, Denton, and Billings in the mix.

Palm Beach will probably get the players that didn’t make AA plus Toerner.

Heck we just might wind up cutting some OFs. We’ll see how ST goes.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Its no surprise that Dylan Carlson has raised his stock more than any prospect so far. The scouts have been impressed and the organization loves him. He may be fast tracked to MLB, hopefully with the Cards.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

After O’Neill and JMart who is the next man up for OF depth?

Thomas?
    Garcia?
    Williams?
    Arozarena?

Or does Carlson bypass all of them? That would probably be too aggressive. He most likely starts the year in Springfield right?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I just smile when I read about all the excited media people discovering Carlson for the first time this spring. Derek Shore has been calling for Carlson’s 2019 Double-A breakout for months and months now. I recall it came up during the community voting, too.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think when the spring ends that Thomas is the next OF’er up. He has seemed more consistent than Garcia and Arozarena. Garcia has the most all around talent, and like Arozerena he has too many bad Ab’s.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Free

Chris Ellis is trying to get back to the Cards. 20.25 era 11 hits in just 4 innings. Where would he go? Memphis bullpen?

Conner Greene must also think he can come back as he has also been bad with a 15.00 era in 3 innings. But he isnt coming back.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I read about the William Miranda signing as today’s lead story and I began to think about which DSL players have a good shot at GCL or higher in June. Are there any close followers of that League that have an opinion of who and where?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

William Miranda was the first article loaded, but today’s lead is the Mexican League/Ramon Urias story.

On DSL players, others can speculate about names, but here are some generic answers. The first part will be known when minor leaguers report to spring camp and we see which DSL names are invited. Should have that in a day or two. A preview is to look at the Instructional Camp roster, as several DSL players were included there. Other than Munoz, no others were invited to STEP Camp. The final group will come over to the US at the start of April for extended spring training. Those will make up the vast majority of the DSL players competing for US jobs this season.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If you are just dying to hear another man’s opinion on some of our prospects:

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2019/3/7/18254230/introducingspringtraining

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m okay with this guy. Hew writes like he’s an overzealous Cardinal fan, same as most of us here. I don’t give much weight to his opinions though.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Hudson is #5, or barring a trade, or if a pitcher is switched to relief, I am counting 15-16 starters for Springfield and Memphis. One less if Pearce would be released. Given his suspension last year, that seems a possibility. Another pitcher less might be as Brian speculated Herget may be injured.

MEMPHIS
    Ponce Deleon
    Gomber
    Helsley
    Cabrera
    Woodford
    Herget
    Perez

SPRINGFIELD
    Arauz
    Cruz
    Walsh
    Kruzinski
    Warner
    Meisner
    Fagalde
    Shew
    Pearce

UncleDenny
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Have noticed prospect Evan Mendoza has been playing first base when used this spring. Obviously that adds to his versatility especially important because of so many third base prospects such as Montero, Gorman and Nuñez.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Free

If Hudson is #5, or barring a trade, or if a pitcher is switched to relief, I am counting 15-16 starters for Springfield and Memphis. One less if Pearce would be released. Given his suspension last year, that seems a possibility. Another pitcher less might be as Brian speculated Herget may be injured.

MEMPHIS
    Ponce Deleon
    Gomber
    Helsley
    Cabrera
    Woodford
    Herget
    Perez

SPRINGFIELD
    Arauz
    Cruz
    Walsh
    Kruzinski
    Warner
    Meisner
    Fagalde
    Shew
    Pearce

Not sure why you would think Pearce would be released. As long as he is pitching well I dont think his suspension will factor in much.

I dont see the rotations as that crowded as I think many of the minor league free agents will be released or actually be competing for bullpen jobs.

I see a huge crunch in the AA bullpen.

Memphis

Gomber
    Ponce
    Helsley
    Cabrera
    Woodford

Gallegos
    Meisingner
    Layne
    Webb
    Beck
    Cervenka ou Hauschild
    Jones
    Ellis
    Moral (IL)
    Herbert (IL)

Spfd

Warner
    Shew
    Kruzinski
    Walsh
    Pearce

Greene
    Fernandez
    Elledge
    Cruz
    Latchum
    Beck
    Meisner
    Rameirez
    Williams (IL)

Dobzanski
    Thompson
    Carter
    O’Reilly
    Zgardowski
    Patterson
    Medina

UncleDenny
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ellis was lost in Rule 5 draft and Greene was lost via waivers. Carter and Thompson were released.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Free

Well I am predicting that Ellis is returned to us.

Greene was supposed to be Gonzalez.

I meant to check the roster matrix for realeases but forgot

Thanks for the corrections.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Cruz and Meisner would be ahead of Pearce for starting jobs. And Fagalde would be in the mix for Springfield rotation as well. I guess he could start at Palm Beach though. And current and future injuries will thin things as well.

UncleDenny
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ellis, Greene, Thompson, Carter gone

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cardinal’s’18 opening five:
    CMartinez
    Wacha
    Weaver
    Mikolas
    Wainwright

Closed out with:
    Mikolas
    Flaherty
    Gomber
    Gant
    Weaver

Memphis opened ’18 with the rotation of:
    Gant
    Hudson
    Gomber
    Flaherty
    Poncedeleon

Ended the season with:
    Herget
    Lyons
    Woodford
    Ellis
    Warner

Springfied opened with:
    Woodford
    Helsley
    Greene
    Tewes
    Jones

Finished with:
    Kruczynski
    Cabrera
    Meisner
    Pearce
    Shew

As you can see September = very didn’t from March. It takes pitching well and staying healthy to make it through or make the step up. What you see is not necessarily what you got.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ronnie Williams and Dobzanski will be an interesting names to folllow. Pre injury last year Williams was pitching very well. Both should see time at Springfield, and possibly Memphis. On the left side Sisk pitched very well last year, and should see Peoria.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The cool thing about this board is that it will really develop your minor league aptitude. I have to admit that I was never that interested in the minors until joining here. I mean the big league club in St. Louis will always be numero uno but I do find myself thinking about things that six months or a year ago I would not have dared.

Instead of lying awake at night pondering the next big trade or free agent signing or who is starting over who in St. Louis now I spend time pondering:

Will Gorman, Torres, and Nunuez grow up to be Cub killers?

Will Delvin Perez ever realize his potential?

Will Luken Baker become more than Luke Voit?

Will Carlos Soler become more than Jorge Soler?

Will Jake Woodford evolve into a steady 3 or 4 starter in St. Louis?

Will overachievers like Fagalde and Nogowski make it to the bigs?

Thanks to Brian and many of you posters I finally find these types of questions very interesting. Don’t get me wrong I’m still very in tune to what is happening at the MLB level but I am trying to become more well rounded.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by Avatar gscottar.
    14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gsc…. “Good for you. Jack”. We’ll have to take you off the “Cards only” list. I poked you into checking out the organization because a fan like you could find it addictive. A well rounded Cards fan should have a good idea of what’s in the future. I want to see you participating in the community’s next top-100 and having some confidence.

Hey, with those questions that you’ve considered, I can see you are on your way.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Peoria looks like they will have one heck of a lineup, with the following:

Catcher- Herrera, with Soto not being too far behind him.
    1st Base- Woodall or Cedeno
    2nd base- Dunn
    Shortstop- Perez
    3rd Base- Gorman, with Nunez to follow hopefully
    Outfield- Cedeno, Riley, Warner, Machado, Torres

I almost forgot about Espinal and Shaw look like interesting candidates too.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Free

I was intrigued by Zack Jackson’s appearance in a recent Spring game. I would think it would be extremely rare for a player not on track to open in full season ball to make such an appearance. Jackson is also 21 already. I am seeing him opening at Peoria.

I see Espinal skipping Peoria and starting the year at PB.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks Ny. I do plan to participate in the next community vote.

C27, I agree about Peoria. They may turn out to be the most talented team we have.

I’m also going to have my eye out on where Carlos Soler plays this year.

The team that I will get to see the most in person is Springfield because I live a few miles away from another Texas League team (NW Arkansas/Royals) and they host Springfield several times a year. I plan to go to as many games as possible.

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by Avatar gscottar.
    14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jackson got a look/see at Palm beach late last season. He’ll be 21 in May so he still has time to develop. The thing for Zach is that there are so many other young catchers aboard. He’ll need to step it up big time in ’19 at Peoria… I hope not at Palm Beach. I like his size, 6’3″ 215.

Viewing 25 posts - 926 through 950 (of 975 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years