Affiliate observations

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate observations

Viewing 25 posts - 876 through 900 (of 1,017 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I watched Ronnie Williams throw off the mound, live BP, in instructs and spoke with him briefly. He is raring to go. Not that long ago, he was mentoring Jordan Hicks.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Did Williams have the full blown TJ surgery or the newer partial version. For a full blown surgery he would seem to be way ahead of a normal schedule.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Put me front and center on the Soler band wagon.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Williams’ surgery was repair, not replace.

St. Louis Cardinals Instructional Camp News – January 15, 2019

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

How good is the repair surgery versus full replace? So far I really haven’t seen any success stories from just the repair.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BHC, I haven’t done any formal analysis, but the two cases I am familiar with are Seth Maness and Mitch Harris. A .000 batting average on a very small sample size.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Manness did make it breifly bach to the majors I think.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The key point, which I think we can all agree on, is that Maness did not pitch anywhere nearly as effectively as before. I do not necessarily suggest the surgery was the cause. My guess is the damage was done long before and is not totally repairable.

Though he did not have ligament repair surgery, it appears that Kevin Siegrist is pretty much done, too. He had various arm problems that sapped his velocity.

Both he and Maness were effectively done before age 30.

The third in the high usage trio – Rosenthal – should be back from his TJS this spring for the Nationals. Here’s to his comeback!

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

At least Williams had velocity in the past. Mid 90s as I recall. If he lost a little velo he still could be effective. Maness hit about 90 at his best. And Siegrist, IMO, just was overused.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I’m hoping for the best regarding Rosenthal’s “comeback”. We’ll see if his recovery is complete. I doubt that he’ll ever be as effective as he was in STL.

PadsFS
    Participant

Siegrist was already a high-risk injury worry out of the minor leagues. I don’t know why this is controversial.

Rick Ankiel also recently had the repair option on his already TJ-repaired elbow if I’m not mistaken.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Since TJS success rate is 85-95%, why do you assume the worst for Rosenthal, Ny?

14NyquisT
    Participant

“Worst”…. not at all. I think he’ll be like Wacha. Effective but not as effective as he was in his primo days. I wish him luck in WAS, and I’ll be keeping an eye on him like I do with other ex-Cardinal favorites.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ok, thanks for clarifying, but I don’t lump TJS elbow recoveries in with chronic shoulder problems.

14NyquisT
    Participant

From “Redbird Rants”

Time is running out for Perez.

Delvin Perez’s future with the St. Louis Cardinals would definitely seem to be in jeopardy. Although only 20, Perez has regressed every year he had been in the Cardinals organization. He has fallen out of every top ten prospect rating for the Cardinals and the highest rating he comes in at is 39 via Prospect1500 which is below other shortstop prospects Tommy Edman(30) and Edmundo Sosa(24).

Currently, there is not a clear heir-apparent to Paul DeJong at shortstop in the Cardinals organization. Although DeJong could be the shortstop for the birds-on-the-bat for several years, without a rising future shortstop in the organization, gives the Cardinals less flexibility. That’s where a Delvin Perez could come in. Simply, Delvin Perez needs to start hitting. Perez’s defense continues to be solid and he has plenty of speed, but a three-year minor league slash line of .229/.313/.299 won’t cut it.
    ********************************************************************************
    Its all up to Delvin. With his pedigree and potential ALL he has to do is produce in the batter’s box.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If anyone wants to read more than two paragraphs about Perez’ struggles, our no. 35 ranking article from November is free content.

TCN 2019 St. Louis Cardinals Prospect #35 – Delvin Perez

Another Cards prospect watcher, an optimistic chap, recently predicted Perez would hit .260 with a mid .700s OPS at Peoria this coming season. That would be wonderful and all, but I do not see that kind of breakout on the horizon.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

NY, what exactly does it mean “time is running out” on Perez? Does it mean time is running out on considering him to be a MLB level player or does it mean he is on the verge of being released? If it is the latter that is absurd. He is only 20. He certainly is no bigger of a disappointment than Nick Plummer and Plummer is still in the organization.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar, you would have to ask the person from Redbird Rants who wrote those words what they meant. If you read it verbatim, it suggests a release could be ahead, which I agree would be absurd. But I hope what they meant is that time is running out for him as a legitimate prospect, and if that is the intention, I agree. I get this may come off as arrogant, but I don’t consider Redbird Rants a go-to for prospect insight.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I get this may come off as arrogant, but I don’t consider Redbird Rants a go-to for prospect insight.

That’s not arrogant at all. 3/4 or more of the posters here could write better articles than that site.

As for Perez, this is probably a make or break year for his “prospect” status but he is still young, and if he could find a way to put on a little weight he could make an impact. With good SS defense and speed, even a below average hitter plays in MLB, although he’s got a ways to go to even make it to that level of hitting.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Any middle infielder with the initials “DP” (I can only think of 2 others) has a bit of destiny going for them right off the bat. At age 20, young Delvin “The Kid” Perez has to be still considered in the mix . Personally, I didn’t come into my own until about age 37….albeit a totally different profession. 2019 could be the The Kid’s breakout year!

dac8b9
    Participant

Hey everyone, I’m actually planning on catching a few games at Peoria this season with my dad. It will be my first time seeing a minor league game and I was wondering if anyone here had any tips for us that could make our experience more enjoyable?

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Don’t park close to the stadium where home plate is on the other side. You’re liable to take a foul ball on the hood or roof of your car. Been there, done that…. and after all these years, I’m still pissed about it.

14NyquisT
    Participant

From MLB’s Jen Langosch

Prospect to watch: Ryan Helsley
    One year after president of baseball operations John Mozeliak predicted a breakout year for Helsley, Mozeliak is bullish again. Helsley didn’t ascend as expected last year, largely due to injury. But he still ranks fourth on MLB Pipeline’s Cardinals prospect list and remains on the cusp of being an intriguing option for the big league team. If Helsley gets called up by the Cards this year, it’d likely be for a relief role. But he’ll be a starter in the Minors, where he’s posted a 2.58 ERA over four professional seasons. Scouts already rave about his fastball-curveball combination.

My take on Helsley is that he has been a bit overlooked due to the group of pitchers just ahead of him. Since missing most of ’18, he has lost some momentum. The thing is that I’ve been reading many pieces on him that are quite optimistic (like Jen’s above). You would have to sense he’ll be the leader of the next wave of top prospects that won’t be so crowded. (Kruczynski- Cabrera- Woodford- Walsh)

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cabrera is probably ahead of Helsley now. The other guys are behind.

14NyquisT
    Participant

If that is the case we have too much redundance in the system at AAAA level. Unless there are plans to use any of Hudson, Poncedeleon, Gomber and Reyes in the pen. Its still crowded.

Viewing 25 posts - 876 through 900 (of 1,017 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.