Affiliate observations

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate observations

This topic contains 978 replies, has 31 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 3 hours, 38 minutes ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 979 total)
  • Author
    mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was hoping they could trade Lynn for a shortstop. But there really aren’t any really good defensive shortstops that could be had, as far as I can tell. Even Torres is known more for his bat than his glove.

UConn Card
    UConn Card

Paid - Annual

Austin Warner promoted from GCL club to Peoria. Good thing ’cause at 23 he’s really old for the GCL level.

Also, Colton Thomson to Peoria from State College

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by UConn Card UConn Card.
    14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Does anyone have any more info on the Luis Bandes injury? He hurt his leg running to first two nights ago.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Free

Mike Mayers last 10 games in Memphis. 0.92 Era 39 IP 8 BB 44 K 1.0 WHIP

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So, you thought you knew the Springfield Cardinals. In April they looked like a solid team with starters Alcantara-Flaherty-Gomber-Hudson-Pearce-Poncedeleon, and there was Alvarez-Lino-Mejia-Thon-Wilson-JAGarcia-Martini-Mercado. Some very good arms and bats there.

With players coming and going plus the DL bug (Alvarez-Grayson) they finished the first half at 35-35. Alcantara, Hudson and Gomber remain add in reliever Echemendia and that’s all from the opening day pitching staff.

Of the position players only Wilson and Mercado (long DL stretch) have been on Springfields roster all season. Bruce Caldwell (Mem), Sierra have been up and now back.

The Cards have new members Gallen and Ellis in their rotation, plus additions Knizner, Edman, Nagowski, Seferina and Arozarena.

As it turns out this second half team has a 19-10 record and in 1st place. With all the roster changes within our organization Springfield has had the biggest turnover so far and most likely more will be coming and going. This sure ain’t the team that opened the season on April 6th in Frisco (Tx).

Ps. the goal is to keep the prospects moving up…. some get blocked some get moved up because of another team’s necessity. It’s a long tough road for these guys.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 8 months ago by Avatar 14NyquisT.
    14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I searched every teams top-30 looking for a top-notch OF with power that is ready now (since we are looking for some power). There are a few scattered around but no one that stands very much higher than what we have now with O’Neill and Bader.
    O’Neill’s power # is a 60. He could turn into a MLB masher.

From what have you done for me lately category:
    At Memphis – Mejia .412
    At Springfield – Knizner .474
    Seferina .525
    At Palm Beach – Billings .357
    At Peoria – Fiedler .353
    At State Coll. – Mendoza .359
    At Johnson Cty – Bandes .350
    Pinder .447
    Ynfante .366
    At GCL Cards – Montero .400

There’s some names to remember here.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One positional spot remains open at Memphis.(Arozarena, AGarcia, Mercado, Sierra?) Two if Weaver is in St Louis.(Flaherty, Gallen?) Or will a newcomer take a spot?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My guess is Sierra and Gallen. Flaherty is already there.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With all the player movements, it seems as though something something is brewing at the top. Junior Fernandez was pulled after one inning at Palm Beach for “undisclosed reasons”. A couple of changes involved players that aren’t serious prospects (Caldwell, Diekroeger etc.). Oviedo#22 (BW-July) was moved up to State College.

But all of this may mean nothing and just some posturing. Anyway, when prospects start traveling around the country and I think something is up, but I’m usually wrong. So proceed with your own thoughts at your own risk.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

GCL-Cards went from 12-8 to 12-13 in three days. They lost a reg. game on Monday (2-1), then lost a make-up Suspended game plus a reg. game on both Tuesday (7-6 & 9-8) and Wednesday (8-5 & 8-6). The bullpen got a serious workout but with the extended roster it was much less severe.

Johnson City pitching gave up 10 runs last night against Burlington. With the five errors the Mountain Birds committed, there was only 1 earned. That was in front of a hometown crowd. (Refunds?)

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If it was unusual movement, I might agree that something is up, but this up and down goes on all season long.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Seferina is making a good splash at Springfield. And he has made some eye popping plays on defense.

Also I think I heard Selby say on the Memphis broadcast last night that Caldwell had been called up.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There are brand new articles about both of those players, Seferina and Caldwell, for members, which are located on the front page.

(I am not posting every article link here on the free board, but we are averaging between four and five new articles every day.)

Here are the links.

Resurgent Year has Seferina Back on the Map

More Cardinals Minor League Moves

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carter and Tilley have moved up a class each. Both are 25 and need to move along before they get aged out of the system. There are several other pitchers at the lower Rookie Leagues facing the same issue.

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Seems as if Hudson’s promotion to Memphis will be made official at some point today or tomorrow. Helsley is not listed in the upcoming probables for Palm Beach, so there is that. A promotion for him is overdue.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Our 6th rd. draft pick c Zach Jackson is having some problem adjusting to pro ball. With 41 ABs he has 10 BBs and 20 Ks. He’s hitting below .100 and has but 5 hits…. all singles…. 4 RBIs. He’ll likely get going in the second half of the short season teams.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ve been watching Evan Mendoza, our 11th rd. pick ’17 at State College all season. The guy has proved that he can hit at his level, just needs to add some power and we may be looking at a top 3B prospect. I would like to see the just turned 21 y.o., get some time at Peoria before the end of the season. A bonafide 3B prospect could climb quickly through the system.

Cards1776
    Participant

Free

14Nyguist, agree with you on Mendoza. He did well at NC State and is doing an awesome job at State College! Knizner was pretty good at 3rd while at State, too. If I recall, he was a Freshman All American at 3B before being asked to convert to catcher. Glad to see these former Wolfpack boys doing such a good job.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

When I interviewed Mendoza recently, I asked him if he or Knizner is the better third baseman!

Cardinals Prospect Interview: Evan Mendoza

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

As an NC State alum, I’m glad to see Mendoza and Knizner doing well. I just wish we could’ve drafted Trea Turner. 😉

Cards1776
    Participant

Free

Amen, Eurowolf…. lol!

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Free

Valera hitting .529 with a 1.427 OPS in his last 10 games. SCORCHIN’!

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i also say that Valera played LF at least one day…

a switch hitting high average bench player with a little versatility is what managers dream of….even if they’d prefer power with it….but if he had power he’d be a starter

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Valera does not have enough power for the corner OF and not enough arm to play up the middle. Since StL already has five second base-capable players on the roster (Wong, DeJong, Garcia, Gyorko and Carpenter), there is no place to put Valera. Very difficult to see how that could change.

As we saw when the Cards needed a SS, they put Mejia on the 40-man out of the blue rather than call up Valera. He has proven to be a solid Triple-A asset, though.

P.S. You may have noticed that we named Valera July Player of the Month. Even though Valera had better numbers than Bader, the Cards chose Bader as their POM.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Brian Walton Brian Walton.
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Free

Has Herget been overlooked as a prospect? He currently has the highest season ERA of his career at a whopping 3.36. Every other year it has been below 3. Consistantly strikes out a batter an inning with a 4:1 k:bb ratio. Career WHIP a very respectable 1.19. Has moved slowly but steadily up the system.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 979 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years