Affiliate observations

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate observations

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 1,017 total)
  • Author
    14NyquisT
    Participant

On that Delvin Perez demotion. He’s gotten tons of bad ink over the whole situation. Most have the same bottom line for him…. you better do a 180* and start using some of the wonderful potential that you have. A great career awaits you, straighten out your priorities.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My concern is that Oquendo was with him from March until June, pretty much every day. Perez did not make it even one month in Johnson City before being sent back to Jupiter.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Well, Oquendo is not knoen for his coaching of hitting which seems to be Perez’s issue. I also remember the ST articles about how the PR world cup team was taking hin under their wing. I guess that has born fruit either.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Immaturity and inability to handle adversity could be at least as big of issues as his at-bats themselves.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think its wise to underestimate the impact that steroids can have on a person.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mud, you do know that all players are randomly tested for drugs multiple times per year, right?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

OK, those on the fence, time to sign up! I will be taking questions/barbs on my rankings over on the Members message board.

PadsFS
    Participant

One positive note is that Perez has just one error this year in 124 innings after making 17 in 328 innings last year.

Another thing to note is that this is a small sample of just 62 PAs thus far. Give him some time.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals are the ones to make the decision to NOT give him more time at JC. Perez is still a top prospect, but a bit less so at this point in time, just over one year into his career, in my opinion.

From the same draft class at the same age on the same team last year, Carlson has stuck it out at Peoria, a contrast worth noting.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Pretty sure Mud’s point was that maybe he is not the prospect we thought now that he isn’t taking steroids.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thanks for clarifying. I clearly missed that implication.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes. But when a player who has been busted for using steroids is struggling, it makes me wonder.

Luis Robert built himself a remarkable physique without steroids, didn’t he? Other prospects should, also.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He did pretty well last year though. I do agree that it’s certainly a red flag for him.

Btw he has a double and a triple in his last two games. Gotta have something to build on and hopefully he learns from this humbling experience and gets to work realizing his talent.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

After seeing CC’s post later on this thread, I wanted to delete my post that precedes this one, but couldn’t.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Touching stuff there. It’s easy to forget while we bemoan poor results or disappointing turns for these guys that they are high class athletes and that even then, they are still people with dreams just as we are. Best of luck to that young man in whatever he does next in life.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Matt Pearce to Memphis from Springfield.

Starters:
    Flaherty
    MGonzales
    Weaver
    Gant
    Mayers
    Zeid
    Pearce
    ArReyes (rehab) back soon
    and Gallen a call away at Springfield.

Seems like there might be something in the wind.

Memphis is 14-2 in last 16 games. The pitching has been superior and Memphis is the class of the Pacific Coast League. Our AAA team hasn’t been so good since the Louisville Cards. It’s not outlandish to say that three or four of those arms could be pitching in the majors.
    This may be a good time to switch ArReyes over to the bullpen. He’s a good AAA pitcher but when he was on the DL a few guys whizzed right by him. There’s little chance of him ever seeing St Louis except some very good innings in the Redbird pen.

Hudson has been the steadiest of the starters at Springfield.

UConn Card

Paid - Annual

Memphis is loaded with pitching. It’s been such a joy to do their game recaps this season.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Mayers has already been moved to the Memphis pen. His last 2 appearances have been from the pen.

vegasjim
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Mayers and Gant both have a better path to the bigs from the bullpen.

On top of all the names listed above would think Gallen, Hudson, Gomber as candidates to end the year at AAA and or ready to start there next year.

Helsley has earned the chance at AA this season and Woodford and Junior Fernandez are on track to be ready for AA to begin 2018.

We thought AA rotation was loaded this season. Could see a rotation to start 2018 with 5 top 20 organizational prospects. The 3 mentioned here with Alcantara repeating and depending on how Hicks finishes at PB. He will have a chance to join them in Springfield.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Springfield has reeled of 6 in a row…. allowing just 7 runs (3 last night). Gallen-Hudson-Gomber-Alcantara-Ellis provide them with solid early on innings. (Pearce just moved up to Memphis.)
    When Sierra returns, he’ll join Mercado and Arozarena in the OF… nice trio.
    Knizner has been raking lately and the INF of Seferina-Edman-Nagowski-Wilson are all performing well.
    This is a team with Alvarez and Sosa on the DL.

State College is starting to get some decent pitching now, but the bottom 2 rookie team’s pitching are disasters. Much different than last season.

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Speaking of Alvarez, he’s expected to return by the end of this month after a high-ankle sprain. Sosa, on the other hand, might miss the rest of the season after hamate bone surgery. Two candidates for the Fall League?

14NyquisT
    Participant

Thanks Derek….. I would appreciate any other info you have on DLers (DGonzalez- Woodford- Spitz- Kilichowski- JPerez- as it is always hard to find.

14NyquisT
    Participant

The big news is that Mike O’Reilly was kicked up to Palm Beach and joins Hicks, who made his 1st start there on July 12th. It’s safe to assume that O’Reilly will join the BeachBirds rotation which recently lost both Woodfood and DGonzalez. I’m guessing O’Reilly will start on Saturday at Lakeland.

O’Reilly started 12 games for Peoria. His 1st start came on May 9th after three relief appearances for the Chiefs and he has never looked back. MO has stunned nearly everyone in the organization. The 5′-11″ righty is clearly the surprise package of ’17…. even more so than Mercado’s revival.His Game Scores have been consistently outstanding with only one hiccup on June 13th.

The other news is that Grichuk has begun his rehab at Springfield last night going 1-4 HR, 3RBI and 2K.
    Maybe he can see(pun) the same eye doctor that fixed Tommie Pham’s eyes. Pham has turned into a dynamo since he somehow got improved vision. At the end of ’16 he was a mess and Matheny wouldn’t even use him to PH. He has to be right behind Mercado as another stunner in ’17.

There was a lot of bad pitching starts last night throughout the organization, so the starter of the day belongs to Winston Nicasio down at the GCL-Cards. It was his third start… the first two were total duds.

PadsFS
    Participant

What a bummer to hear about Sosa.

After thinking we were loaded in the lower minors at the shortstop position last year, the loss of Sosa (to injury), Mercado (to position change), Cordoba (to the Rule V), and Perez (just struggling) really puts a damper on the system. Edman is also struggling at AA.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 1,017 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.