Affiliate observations

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Affiliate observations

This topic contains 304 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  Brian Walton 1 day, 7 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 305 total)
  • Author

jthunder93
    Participant

Does Tim Venus drive a Saturn?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Probably an Eclipse or an Astro

14NyquisT
    Participant

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Do you disagree, 14NyquisT?

As another data point, when the rest of the BaseballHQ Minor League Analyst articles run, subscribers will see the details of how they essentially assess the system similarly. The only future #1 and #2 guys are considered to be Reyes and Flaherty, along with a couple of others with plus fastballs who may have relief futures. On the other hand, they see at least seven other guys as having #3 to #5 rotation potential. so there is depth.

Continued theme of more quantity than tip of the iceberg quality.

PadsFS
    Participant

I was thinking about the Palm Beach roster today and I noticed that it may end up being a team of cast-offs.

I predict the new Mexican League SS, Urias, will start there. As will the return for Mike Leake in Ascanio. Matt Adams trade return, Juan Yepez could start at 1B. Dykstra (came over in the Jaime Garcia trade) could man 2B. J.B. Woodman from Toronto in the Aledmys Diaz trade takes over in RF. Moreno, obtained in the rule 5 draft, could play CF. It just struck me as odd that there were so many transplants filtering their way through Palm Beach. Jose Martinez (the former Royals SS) could figure into the MI group as well.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 5 days ago by  PadsFS.

14NyquisT
    Participant

And then there’s Lane Thomas, the OF brought in from TOR during July ’17 for other considerations. Palm Beach is not a pleasant stop for batters and the good ones get to skip over it. It may be that the roster there is filled with the players that Pads mentioned.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Walker Robbins and the Cardinals have in the back of their minds the possibility of moving him back to pitching if he does not progress as a hitter.

http://www.sunherald.com/sports/high-school/article197210229.html

14NyquisT
    Participant

I guess he’ll get a do-over at JC. He is not age appropriate for State College (NYPL). That .174 needs some work. Let’s see (weighing Hands) power hitter or pitcher (extra year of training)? I’d like to see what he looks like with another season at the plate. If he doesn’t improve then try the wing.

The prospect they should move to the OF or 1B is 6’4″ Brady Whalen. Those 16 errors at 3B won’t cut it there. I’d like to hear what Derek thinks about that… he’s rather high on Whalen.

Derek Shore
    Participant

I like Whalen’s upside as an offensive prospect, especially if he develops as a switch-hitter. While he’s exceptionally better hitter from the right-side than left, he has the lanky body to grow into 20 home runs or more and he even has an advanced approach. His defensive profile obviously is a big question mark, but I’m big on him because his plate discipline makes me think he’ll hit for average and he’s already tapping into some raw power at his age which is impressive. In addition, if there’s one hole in the organization right now – it’s quality corner infield prospects.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 4 days ago by  Derek Shore.

PadsFS
    Participant

Is it really that difficult to put him at DH on days he doesn’t start? I thought the same thing with Hunter Greene. Look at Ohtani.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Flip side: What good would it do the Cardinals to develop a designated hitter? Robbins has very little experience in the outfield, switched there by the Cardinals, and needs work there.

14NyquisT
    Participant

14NyquisT
    Participant

PD’s Derrick Goold covers a number of the NRIs with a short blurb about each one. Its not detailed but its something for those who follow the affiliates can read.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/birdland/goold-scouts-the-non-roster-players-invited-to-cardinals-spring/collection_521c4792-0cf3-11e8-b52b-832526ccd6f6.html

14NyquisT
    Participant

William Weinbaum
    ESPN

Daniel Poncedeleon & Jennifer Beatty got married on Wed. & next week he reports to St.L.’s major league spring training camp. The righty pitcher, 26, says he’s ready to “erase all doubts” of the Cardinals, as he returns from a life-threatening 5/9/17 episode when a liner struck his head in a Triple-A game.
    Good idea, bad idea? Anyway…. its a cheap honeymoon I guess.

PadsFS
    Participant

well getting married would seem like a bad idea all around right? Haha.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Only five days until Valentine’s Day, Pads. You need a serious attitude adjustment! 😉

14NyquisT
    Participant

(Just joking)… but he did get hit in the head. Ouch, did I write that? Seriously, I wish them both well and a life filled with wedded bliss. Geez, did I write that?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Oh, no. I did not hear about Pads’ accident. Now I feel so guilty…. 😉

PadsFS
    Participant

Haha. I don’t think 14Ny was talking about me although I did get hit in the eye back in high school similar to Poncedeleon. I lost like a week of my life in the hospital. It was a while ago so no need to feel guilty BW. I haven’t played since though. I don’t think I could pitch to hitters without a screen now. It’s remarkable to me that some of these guys don’t get flinchy afterwards.

14NyquisT
    Participant

A day or two ago BW wrote about there being a glut of OFers at AA and A+ levels in ’18. With the exceptions of Arozarena#13 and Carlson#20, those OF rosters will be filled with a lot of mediocrity. No others made the Community’s top-70. So after O’Neill-Bader-JAGarcia-Mercado-Arozarena there is a void until Carlson(age19)-Hurst#37-Pinder#34-Ynfante#32-Machado#25 come through the system. Palm Beach and Peoria in ’17 had outfields that left a lot to be desired.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Bleacher Reports’ Joel Reuter today has put out his list of best farm systems. Cards got a favorable bounce to #11, due in part to the minor leaguers they acquired in exchange for major leaguers. Despite giving up some serious talent foe Ozuna, the Cards have come out ahead with some other MiLB acquisitions.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2759103-mlb-farm-system-rankings-pre-2018-spring-training-edition

14NyquisT
    Participant

There’s really no way around it: 2018 was a very, very disappointing season for Delvin Perez. The Cardinals made him their first round selection in 2016 after he tested positive pre-draft for a performance-enhancing substance and fell from a top five or ten slot to pick 22. There was lots of moralising from Harold Reynolds and others over the Cardinals rewarding an extremely poor kid from a rough part of Puerto Rico who dared to step outside the lines to try and improve his draft stock for the only guaranteed payday he could count on, ever. It was unpleasant.

This is VEB’s take on Perez.

So far based on production, he and Plummer are two wasted first round picks.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Well, Plummer is 21, coming up on when he would have been draft-eligible as a collegian and Perez will play this entire coming season while still a teenager.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

I would be hard pressed to deny Plummer and Perez as being busts so far into their career. Maybe it will click this year, I’m just not willing to bank on it.

Viewing 25 posts - 276 through 300 (of 305 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.