60-Day Injured List

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 60-Day Injured List

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Since when did it become okay for teams to place players on the injured (disabled) list prior to opening day? I thought teams had to wait until opening day before making any 40-man roster changes like placing players on the injured list. I just saw the Giants have placed Cueto on the 60-day and its listed under their transaction history on their website.

Any clarification from people smarter than I am?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I believe players can go on the 60 day once they report, thus clearing a roster spot. However the 60 day timeframe doesnt start until opening day.

It used to be players could be placed on the 15 DL 3 days (or possibly 5?) prior to ooening day (with the 15 day clock starting immediately) but I am not sure if that continued when they went to the 10 day DL.

This is from a Cubs site (sorry) but I believe it is accurate.

https://www.thecubreporter.com/book/export/html/3538

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Must be a new date that coincides with ST starting. There’s a half dozen already on the 60 day IL.

One article states that the 60 days clock starts on opening day, but does allow clubs to continue adding players and not exceed the 40man limit now.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I answered the same question on twitter yesterday.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I understand that Williams will begin this season at EST. If he deemed by the organization to be put on the 60-day DL, does that open his spot on the 40-man roster. There is a difference between the MLB and MiLB disabled list regarding replacement.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Injured 40-man roster players cannot be optioned out. So, if Williams would be placed on the 60-day DL, he would accrue MLB service time while rehabbing. Then he would be optioned out when activated.

If they knew he would miss all of April and May, they could put him on the 60-day DL right now if they had a need to re-use his 40-man spot.

This could be the vehicle to get Pena covered, but that will not happen until the end of camp. (Why promote him until they know he is healthy and ready to go for opening day?)

14NyquisT
    Participant

Agreed…. I was just wondering how a situation like that would play out and used Williams’ as an example.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.