2019 ST. LOUIS CARDINALS TOP PROSPECTS VOTING

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2019 ST. LOUIS CARDINALS TOP PROSPECTS VOTING

This topic contains 719 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by stlcard25 stlcard25 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 701 through 720 (of 720 total)
  • Author
    PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Going to end the vote:

#76 – Adanson Cruz, OF
    #77 – Jesus Cruz, RHP
    #78 – Roel Ramirez, RHP
    #79 – Andrew Morales, RHP
    #80 – Andrew Warner, OF
    #81 – Jacob Schlesener, LHP
    #82 – Brady Whalen, 1B
    #83 – Terry Fuller, OF
    #84 – Irving Lopez, 2B
    #85 – Wood Myers, IF
    #86 – Kevin Woodall, OF/1B
    #87 – Stan Espinal, 1B/3B
    #88 – Mike O’Reilly, RHP
    #89 – Jean Selmo, OF
    #90 – Ian Oxnevad, LHP
    #91 – Connor Cowward, RHP
    #92 – Donovan Williams, 2B
    #93 – Edwin Figuera, IF
    #94 – Brandon Riley, OF
    #95 – Hector Mendoza, RHP
    #96 – Steven Trosclair, 1B
    #97 – Perry DellaValle, RHP
    #98 – Jacob Patterson, LHP
    #99 – Johan Mieses, OF
    #100 – Matt Pearce, RHP

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Well done, everyone!! I just ran out of time to do the rest of my list from 75-100 and it would have been next week in all likelihood before I had time. Looking forward to seeing how all this pans out!!

Paul Ivice
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With a .901 OPS batting right-handed (his natural side) in 2018 and only .655 OPS batting left-handed, Dylan Carlson might be better off hitting right-handed all the time.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Free

In both 2016 and 2017 Carlson was better from the left side. PB is notoriously bad statistically for LH hitters. I wouldn’t make that move yet.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Do the Cards keep Carlson at PB, or do they move the 20 year old to the more hitter friendly AA Texas League.

Robert Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“Do the Cards keep Carlson at PB, or do they move the 20-year-old to the more hitter-friendly AA Texas League?”

Oh, I think it’s nearly a fait accompli that he’s going to Springfield to start the season, Ny. Barring injury, anyway.

Despite superficially uninteresting numbers in 2018, Carlson was an above average hitter (112 wRC+) for the Florida State League — and moreover he was markedly better during the second half.

First half: .237/.333/.341
    Second half: .253/.352/.411

That .352/.411 would be a roughly 120 wRC+, and it came with a sturdy 34/50 BB/K ratio. Solid enough for any budding corner outfielder, and terrific for a teenaged one in that league.

Wiley
    Participant

Free

Personally I’d like to see them slow down the process. He’s being given the Pete Kozma treatment; that’s advancing him before he has excelled at each level. Why the rush? Let the kid gain confidence through domination. Right now they are advancing him when he becomes adequate at each level. I don’t care what the metrics say. They ruined Kozma’s career by trying to rush him to the bigs. Perhaps they could pump the brakes a few times on Carlson’s rise through the system.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The two preceding opinions are what is facing the organization. Carlson has not dominated at any of the three levels he has played in. And although PB is notoriously hitter unfriendly, let him get some confidence and then move him to Springfield. That could happen at any time during the season. There are a multitude of OFers at MEM and SPFD, so there’s no alarm to rush him.. That stated… Carlson could be special and will be under the St. Louis casual fan’s radar in ’20.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think he would gain a lot more confidence hitting in the Texas League rather than the Florida League. Slow him down once he hits AA and see what happens. I’m all for quick promotions up to AA, then let a guy get 500 PAs there and 500 in AAA.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m just saying that he hasn’t really mastered any level… AA might be the fourth for him. Not what I want to see happen.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Free

120 wrc+ is more than adequate!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Carlson has not yet had a 120 wRC+ season. Besides, who can get excited about an adequate player or one who is slightly more than adequate? 😉

Wiley
    Participant

Free

Randy Arozarena, Lane Thomas, Adolis Garcia, Justin Williams, Tyler O’Neill all ahead of Dylan Carlson in the minors. Again, and this is just my opinion, but what’s the rush. If the concern is that he’ll backslide at a lower level, that is a concern. Let him kick ass at an appropriate level like Montero and O’Neill and then promote him accordingly, hoping with glowing accolades to build his confidence. I want him coming to St.Louis knowing he has blown away the minors and belongs, not with questions of whether he’s there because he’s the teams silverspoon.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think that TCN did a very good job with the top-50 and beyond Community). Participation was A-1 Prospects 1500 came out with their rankings recently and you can see how their list differed with our’s, and there are some glaring differences. See
    Schrock, YGonzalez, Dunn, Patterson, Woodfield, Mendoza, JimenezL, Denton, IHerrera,Thomas, Kruczynski.

St. Louis Cardinals 2019 Top 50 Prospects

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

CARDINALS PROSPECTS ON BASEBALLHQ’S 2019 MEGA-LISTS
    FEBRUARY 3, 2019 BRIAN WALTON

Sleeper: Justin Toerner OF (28) had a solid collegiate career at Cal State Northridge, but did nothing to suggest he was worthy of an early-round pick. The 21-year-old Toerner tore through three levels, compiling a line of .312/.410/.385.

Did we underestimate Toerner? The Community had him at #64. One participant doesn’t see him as a sleeper but rather had him at #34!! That ol’ Wiley might have picked up on something the rest of us didn’t see.

Wiley might have made the best catch of the whole rankings.

I believe Toerner will start ’19 at Peoria where he played 7 games late in the season after playing at State College for most of ’18. He also was called up to Palm Beach for 10 games on Aug 14th, when there were many moves within the organization.

If the minor league guys upstairs want to challenge Toerner (22), he may be pushed up to Palm Beach, with Springfield within reach later in ’19. Especially since the organization’s projected OF is thin at Palm Beach.

Toerner is in a position now to step up or to fizzle. Its hard to predict.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Another data point along these lines… As I noted at the time, Toerner was invited to Instructional Camp and as such, stood out as the only 2018 draftee there who had been taken later than the sixth round. That told me a lot about what the organization thinks of him.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They weren’t as high on Genesis Cabrera and Lane Thomas as most but they did speak very highly of Jhon Torres. I keep forgetting about Torres. I know people were sad to Mercado leave but that may turn out to be a very shrewd trade. I have to give Mo and Girsch props for that one. (See I can dish out compliments too).

But they didn’t rank Nogowski! As the board’s biggest Nogowski supporter I just can’t accept that…lol

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by Avatar gscottar.
    14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The TCN top-50 list, because it was done early included some prospects that have been traded (Wisdom-Greene) and two spots left vacant (Young) and O’Neill, these spots were filled by moving the next prospects in order down on the list. So to compare ours with other lists, the revised list looks like this.

1.Reyes
    2.Hudson
    3.Gorman
    4.Montero
    5.Knizner
    6.Helsley
    7.Carlson
    8.Thomas
    9.Nunez
    10.Cabrera
    11.Arozarena
    12.Roberts
    13.Poncedeleon
    14.Baker
    15.AGarcia
    16.Kruczynski
    17.Edman
    18.Woodford
    19.Torres
    20.IHerrera
    21.Williams
    22.Oviedo
    23.Mendoza
    24.Schrock
    25.Sosa
    26.Gingery
    27.Elledge
    28.Capel
    29.Cedeno
    30.Urias
    31.DPerez
    32.JFernandez
    33.Seijas
    34.Jones
    35.Hurst
    36.Gallegos
    37.DeLosSantos
    38.Ortega
    39.Walsh
    40.JuRodriguez
    41.Fagalde
    42.Machado
    43.Meisner
    44.Pinder
    45.DGonzalez
    46.Gil
    47YGonzalez
    48.ARondon
    49.ACruz
    50.Yepes

46-50 from Community, DS & BW voting.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Free

Why is O’Neil’s spot vacant?

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I think he meant Kelly’s spot. O’Neill should still be on there.

Viewing 20 posts - 701 through 720 (of 720 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinalsâ„¢ and their minor league system for 20 years