2019 Minor League Spring Training Game Results

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2019 Minor League Spring Training Game Results

This topic contains 35 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 1 day, 21 hours ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

cannon315
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Great to see some baseball being played in game situations again . . . lots of good showings today and a solid start to the real meat and potatoes part of ‘the back fields’. Thanks for the update.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Montero at Memphis? That a sign that he could start at Springfield or just a short term thing?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As I wrote, do not read anything into these game assignments. Remember, St. Louis is still at 49 players.

Montero could start at Springfield, but I wouldn’t read it from this. Based on his play this spring, Mendoza could be a candidate for Memphis, which would help Montero. The problem as I see it is that Memphis already has too many infielders without Mendoza.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Free

Yet Brian you are always quick to say that the org wont hold up players just because there are other (lesser) players ahead of them.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

You again misinterpret my words. What I have said repeatedly is that non-prospects do not block prospects. However, don’t you agree that both Mendoza and Montero are prospects? Same for the guys ahead of them at Memphis.

Perhaps Mendoza playing some first base this spring suggests that he and Montero could play in the same lineup at some point. Then again, Ravelo has shown this spring that he could help St. Louis if needed and certainly is not going to be pushed into the background.

Third base has Robinson as well as whoever is not starting up the middle among Sosa, Schrock, Edman and Urias, who are all good players who will need at-bats, too. As noted many times, there are more qualified players competing for Memphis than roster spots to put them. The infield may be the most crowded.

In this example, guys like Nogowski and Trosclair at Springfield are ones who I suggest would not block the others. I don’t see many non-prospects at Memphis, however. Do you?

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Today is the second of three split-squaders, next Thursday the 21st will be the third and last. The Cards will need to hold on to many of the NRIs until then. After those games the players being assigned will report to their ’19 season destinations. The main decisions remain Robinson/Munoz, Gant/Hudson and a bullpen spot or two. Reyes remains up in the air and we’ll get some clarity on the direction the team will point to soon. CMart will have to be decided on at some point. IL will need to be determined.

On this date, I believe those decisions are already set in the minds of management. Its not performance or stats that determine the way they will go but rather other factors that are talked about around their offices only.

We, the fans, can only guess at and predict who goes where. Naturally, we don’t get a vote in the remaining decisions.

IMO. this is when the minor league games become more interesting than the big team’s. There is more riding on performance and the prospects know it. There are probably some guaranteed roster spots but also some to be decided by these games.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

After yesterday’s games it seems quiet here. Its Spring training but let’s not develop bad vibes. Bats aren’t producing much and the pitching…. jeez. Saw that ILopez and Toerner came over from the backs to get ABs with the big club.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran posted on another thread that Gorman looked good in yesterday’s back field games, but he must not have had a hit or he would have been touted in the stats provided by the Cardinals.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

When are the next round of cuts expected at the big league camp? As you have noted the minor league teams won’t really take shape until that happens.

bccran
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Two observations from the game today so far.

1.) Gorman had better at bats against Scherzer than O’Neill.
    And Gorman was in high school 10 months ago.

2.) Defensive liability or not, Martinez should be our every day RFer.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Of course Gorman homers for his first MLB Spring training game!! ARozerena follows suit with another dinger.

bccran
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Suggestion for surprise bull pen stud this season – Mayers.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Free

Suggestion for surprise bull pen stud this season – Mayers.

Yet most dont even have him making tbe team out of camp (which for him means waivers and strong chance of getting claimed.) This is especially true if we open with only 12 pitchers. He is a big reason I think we will open with 13 pitures – so we dont lose Mayers on waivers.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar asked:

When are the next round of cuts expected at the big league camp? As you have noted the minor league teams won’t really take shape until that happens.

With the open day on Tuesday, I would guess no later than Monday.

CC, the 12-13 pitcher answer remains to be proven, but Shildt was quoted as learning toward 12 currently.

Robert Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“Suggestion for surprise bullpen stud this season – Mayers.”

I think he’ll be better than last year, cranny. But I’m not sure there’ll be any bullpen studs twirling in the shadow of the Arch this year.

Last year the Cards had zero relievers pitch 35+ innings with a sub-3.00 ERA. For context, every other team in the N.L. Central had between 3 and 5 such relievers. Heck, the lousy 2018 Reds, playing in a hitter’s park mind you, had 3 relievers with 65 innings and a sub 2.70 ERA. (I wouldn’t take 3-1 odds on even one Redbird reliever doing that this season.)

I don’t see anything changing this year. I mean, I’ve got a pretty good imagination and based on what we know right now I can’t envisage how anything changes re the StL bullpen. The three theoretical “shutdown arms” at the back of the bullpen all pitched last night, and the results were gruesome across the board.

Maybe I’ve just got a hangover from that debacle, but Miller especially was horribly disheartening. And his explanation didn’t help things. “Distracted” by the baserunners? A 13-year MLB vet, in a Spring Training game, was distracted by baserunners? C’mon, gimme a break. Either he’s (1)completely full of crap, or (2)the most easily distracted pitcher since Cueto dropped the ball because Pirate fans cheered too loudly. Anyway, when 60-70% of your pitches miss the strikezone by a foot or more, something is dreadfully wrong with you — whatever the reason.

I believe the Cards can win 90+ games and the N.L. Central even with a distinctly below average bullpen. But they can’t win it with a truly terrible one. They need to package a couple of prospects pronto, to trade for a very good reliever from a very bad team.

UncleDenny
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Don’t put too much emphasis on those stats. Sanchez hit hard liner into wind gust for homer. Denton hit an absolute blast against wind caught at fence and lined a shot back at pitcher (thankful got his glove up) and also a hard shot to an infielder so nothing to show for it. Kirtley homered today. Delvin Perez still looks overmatched.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

When all are healthy, I prefer most everyone to Shreve. After all, and despite his poor spring showing, Cabrera may be a relief option later in the year. Layne and Cervenka could be options too, but would have to be added to 40 man roster.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Free

I think Shreve has a better chance of clearing waivers than Mayers.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I agree, CC. Shreve’s slightly higher salary and less than impressive MLB run might let him slip to Memphis and wait in case a lefty goes to the IL for a while.

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    UncleDenny
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Irritating that Cardinals had plenty of chances to add a good second lefty. Avilan, Cedeno, Jennings, Sipp were all available at low cost.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would think the bullpen should be Brebbia, Hicks, Miller, Leone, Reyes, Mayers and Gant. The only bad thing is having only 1 lefty, and having to waive/outright Shreve. Then Cecil would rehab in April, CMart’s recovery and role would have to be determined, perhaps 4 to 6 weeks, or more. And finally Gregerson would have to start a rehab. Gregerson’s future looks very murky, as we have not heard any news on him at all.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I see that Tewes pitched 2.0 yesterday. He seems to be the forgotten man in the organization after his ’18 season was disrupted and not impressive at all.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years