2018 Winter Warm-Up

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Winter Warm-Up

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From the Cardinals:

The most wonderful time of the year is just around the corner! Of course, we’re talking about the Cardinals Care Winter Warm-Up! The 22nd annual fundraiser will take place January 13-15 at the Hyatt Regency St. Louis at the Arch. The 2018 event will see new policies and procedures in regards to autograph tickets and admission tickets.

New for 2018 – Free autograph tickets will be available online at cardinals.com/wwu or at the Busch Stadium Ticket Office.
    • Admission tickets will go on sale on Friday, November 24th at 10:00 a.m. CT. Tickets can be purchased online at cardinals.com/wwu or at the Busch Stadium Ticket Office*.
    • Autograph tickets will go on sale on Friday, December 11th at 12:00 p.m. CT. Autograph tickets can be purchased online at cardinals.com/wwu or at the Busch Stadium Ticket Office. Free autograph tickets will also be available online beginning at 12:00 p.m. CT.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Reminder that Cardinals Care Winter Warm-Up Player Autograph Tickets go on sale Monday, December 11th at Noon CT.

New this year! Free-player autograph tickets will also be available online.

Check cardinals.com/wwu for event updates. Once details are announced, I will also post autograph price comparisons here, as I do every year.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cardinal Nation’s annual review of Winter Warm-Up autograph prices includes one very prominent name missing from the initial list of signees. (free)

https://thecardinalnation.com/changes-in-cardinals-winter-warm-up-autograph-prices-for-2018/

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If anyone is planning to attend WWU but have not bought your admission tickets, the Cardinals are having a Thursday-only special. They are throwing in two game tickets for 2018 for no additional charge.
    https://www.mlb.com/cardinals/tickets/specials/home-run-for-the-holidays

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals have announced Marcell Ozuna ($100) and Miles Mikolas ($25) will be participating and signing autographs. That leaves only Dexter Fowler and Luke Gregerson as absent players.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Jedd Gyorko is unable to attend WWU.

https://twitter.com/JGyorko05/status/951479474469724160

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The event schedules are up. Here are the key ones I will be attending.

Sat 11am Mo main tent
    Sat 1pm Gary LaRocque club house

Sun 11am Randy Flores club house
    Sun 2:30 pm Michael Girsch main tent

Mon 10:15am Both DeWitts main tent

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My place holder article for Day 1 of Winter Warm-Up. I will be adding commentary and audio all day.

https://thecardinalnation.com/cardinals-winter-warm-up-in-their-words-11318/

14NyquisT
    Participant

Was there a reason why Fowler and Gregerson were absent? I can understand Gregerson’s not showing, being new to the club. But Fowler continues to show a lack of interest. (I’ve heard he is the last to show up for games and the first out of the clubhouse). A good reason for seeing him as someone not looking to be the team leader that so many make the assumption he is. Joking and smiling doesn’t equal leadership.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Fowler reportedly had a family commitment. I am not sure what to think about that. To be fair to him, I will point out that at least one prominent media member who regularly covers the team disagrees with the Fowler assessment you cited. It was originally offered by one of the P-D columnists – who by definition is not with the team daily. Yet other media members seem to agree with that sentiment. So mixed messages about Fowler.

PadsFS
    Participant

I guess I zoned out during the part in Mozeliak’s interview about Mikolas. So does your comment about two years mean he is not going to be under arbitration after hs 2-year deal is up?

I am curious how his curveball will translate when he comes back to the MLB. It was awfully loopy in the videos I’ve seen. I thought he may drop it and keep the slider.

PadsFS
    Participant

I don’t really get the Fowler/Ozuna decision, but I’m sure they know best. I still think both will be above-average in the corners and Pham is probably average at least in CF.

The Grichuk and Bader comments makes me feel like they won’t be shifting Fowler or Ozuna to CF when Pham is sitting. I thought they might have tried to put Martinez in the outfield some on Pham’s off-days but that seems like it would be something far and few between.

Interesting that Luke Voit is playing some OF. He would be an asset if he could do that at least as well as Martinez. I think he may be on the opening day roster is we go with just 11 pitchers.

Crazy that Gyorko and Mikolas were roommates in AA back with the Padres.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My Winter Warm-Up Day 2 article is up. 14 audio interviews with summaries for those who prefer Cliff’s Notes. (free)

https://thecardinalnation.com/cardinals-winter-warm-up-in-their-words-11418/

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Day 3 content up, with just Molina to go. Eight audio interviews, photos, summaries.

https://thecardinalnation.com/cardinals-winter-warm-up-in-their-words-monday-11518/

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Molina interview, summary and photo added.

PadsFS
    Participant

BW

Did you see this comment above?

Does your comment about two years mean he is not going to be under arbitration after hs 2-year deal is up?

Just curious.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sorry, I missed that question earlier. It was a very busy weekend.

My interpretation at the time was that Mo was referring to the fact that Mikolas is being looked at as a two-year solution and would be blocking others just two years. Implied was that other free agents want more years of commitment. (Mo brought Mikolas up, opening with a comment that his signing may have looked “curious”, so he decided to explain why he did it.)

Here is my expansion of the point. Player salaries can be cut at most 20% per year, so if Mikolas stinks after two years, he would be non-tendered. And if he is good, he will be in line for an increase (either via arb or another contract), which they would not have to pay – if other young arms are ready to step into the rotation to replace him.

PadsFS
    Participant

Thanks!

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Good question Pads. I too would like to know if we now control Mikolos for 5 years.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The only way they would NOT have control longer would be if they made a pre-agreement to allow Mikolas to become free agent at the end of the contract, relinquishing their control early, as they did with Oh. The only reason a team would give up that flexibility would be if needed in a competitive negotiation – and we do know that other teams were also interested in Mikolas. So the idea is not impossible.

I will ask around when I get a chance, but one can only hope it will be relevant two years from now. As we eventually saw, it did not matter with Oh, as his usefulness had passed in two years. He would have been non-tendered, even without the pre-agreement giving him an out.

P.S. Before someone asks, it is not automatic with Japanese League players coming over. For example, current free agent Yu Darvish had to reach six years of MLB service time before free agency, just like anyone else.

PadsFS
    Participant

I figured it was typical with the older Japanese guys that aren’t “posted” by their team.

Mikolas at $8-9M in 2020 would be a steal at his ZIPs/Steamer projections, which are around what Mike Leake or Jake Westbrook before him put up.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A lot of road is ahead before Mikolas justifies anything for 2020.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.