2018 St. Louis Cardinals Top Prospects Voting

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 St. Louis Cardinals Top Prospects Voting

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 560 total)
  • Author
    mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I looked hard at Hicks for my #9 or #10. He was the talk of the offseason last year. Its been said that he has a high octane fastball with exceptional movement. This year I read that he was working on his secondary pitches. His stats were not overly impressive… 102 IP, 45 BB, 1.34 WHIP He just turned 21 years old and many think he could be a top tier starter some day.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Just echoing forsch’s comments about Adolis Garcia’s arm with an example from tonight. He made a beautiful throw from right to nail Kolten’s brother Kean trying to go from 1st to 3rd.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hudson #6

Wiley
    Participant

Free

6. Dakota Hudson
    7. Austin Gomber – Did anyone come on stronger in the second half then this man. He was pretty much unhittable, untouchable, unbelievable. He has tremendous command of his pitches.
    8. Zac Gallen – I liked him a lot last year and he’s progressed rapidly this season.
    9. Oscar Mercado – His alarm clock finally went off and he realized his immense talent this season; 5th gear speed, defence in center, hitting for average and with gap power. Mercado, not Sierra could be our CFer of the future.
    10. Magnueris Sierra – Defense wiz, excellent speed, but has no power.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I am going to argue that people need to really question Mercado as a top prospect. Did he really make a turn around or did he just have a hot 3 months? His second half batting avg was .243 with a .660 Ops. His OPS vs lefthanders for the year was .626. So what happened? Did he get tired. Did the league adjust and he didnt? I think for a player with so little previous success, 3 months of sucess followed by 3 of returning to normal doesn’t seem to warrant an extremely high ranking. I also do believe he should not be Rule 5 protected. He is just too much of a question mark.

PadsFS
    Participant

Sooner, we are ranking #6 through #10 right now, not just #6.

PadsFS
    Participant

Any more votes for #6-10?

David Greenwald
    Participant

I’ll go:

6. Hudson
    7. Sierra
    8. Alcantara
    9. Gomber
    10. Hicks

PadsFS
    Participant

Thanks David. I didn’t really want to break a tie!

#6 – Dakota Hudson
    #7 – Magneuris Sierra
    #8 – Sandy Alcantara
    #9 – Zac Gallen
    #10 – Austin Gomber

PadsFS
    Participant

Hudson, Alcantara, Gallen, and Gomber will all headline the Memphis rotation next year. They may repeat as champs with that rotation.

I’d probably be inclined to put Jack Flaherty back in AAA if I were the front office, boosting the rotation even more. Matt Pearce is no slouch either and then you have Herget, Mayers, Morales, and Reyes that all can start too.

PadsFS
    Participant

My votes for #11-15 are:

#11 – Randy Arozarena ~ that BB% rate in AA was elite, along with his defense.
    #12 – Delvin Perez ~ he struggled for sure, but is no doubt an elite talent.
    #13 – Adolis Garcia ~ looks like a five-tool player. He seems to just have it.
    #14 – Andrew Knizner ~ crushed it in AA.
    #15 – Jordan Hicks ~ couldn’t decide between him and Fernandez, but Hicks seems like he’s thought of higher now with the AFL assignment.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

#11 – Randy Arozarena
    #12 – Edmundo Sosa
    #13 – Jake Woodford
    #14 – Jordan Hicks
    #15 – Dylan Carlson

14NyquisT
    Participant

11. Knizner
    12. Helsley
    13. Fernandez
    14. Hicks
    15. Arozarena

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Bhc – why so high on Soza?

vegasjim
    Participant

Paid - Annual

#11 Helsley
    #12 Hicks
    #13 Adolis Garcia
    #14 Woodford
    #15 Knizner

David Greenwald
    Participant

This is really where the depth of the organization shows up – how many guys are legitimately top 15 players and there is not enough room for them.

I’ll stick with Hicks at 11

Then go with:

12. Randy A
    13. Adolis Garcia
    14. Perez
    15. Woodford

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

11.Ryan Helsey P
    12.Andrew Knizner C
    13.Jose Adolis Garcia OF
    14.Jordan Hicks P
    15.Oscar Mercado OF

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

11. Perez
    12. Hicks
    13. Helsley
    14. Garcia
    15. Knizer

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

CariocaCardinal,

He’s only 21 and had a very productive season cut short with a bad ankle injury. He should have been in Springfield in the 2nd half but that injury hurt him. I still like him. He hits for a good average, good on base, doesn’t k a lot and able to draw walks. His fielding has even gotten better through the minors (which take into account the fields are not the best).

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Fair enough Black Hills. I’d have to think he is an elite defensive shortstop ( not merely above average) to rank him that high. And I don’t.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

MLB.com has him ranked at 12
    VEB scouting reports compares him to Renteria as a smooth defender who doesn’t make mistakes. He will be 22 years old playing in Springfield. He’s the best SS prospect in the system in my opinion (and others). And he was ranked 14th by TheCardinalNation entering this season. I don’t believe he’s fallen out of the top 15 like others have.

David Greenwald
    Participant

My concern with Sosa at this point is his OPS was less than .700 this year and the power he had shown in the past seems to have abated. Given the emergence of other guys, I’m not sure he’s even in my top 20 at this point.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Not having power at Palm beach isnt exactly a stretch. The average ops in the league is under .700 (roughly .680 to give the data point)

slightly above league average batting from a shortstop with above average d is pretty solid if his age is appropriate. It is.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

11. Knizner — I voted him sixth. My reasons havent changed even if he fell out.

12. Arozarena — centerfielder with a bat. Voted him tenth.

13. Helsley — I respect production. And 100 mph arms. He might be in our bullpen this year.

14. Ja garcia — thought about him in last round a bit. He is probably too low because he can play center but who do I drop?

15. Dylan carlson — this one is different for me. I tend to skew toward production and older players. This guy survived in a horrible hitters park in a league he was probably too young for… And he did fairly well — slightly below league average ops at 18. It wouldnt shock me if they skipped him past Palm beach relatively quickly simply because it is if anything worse for hitters… Either way 19 at high a screams future upside.

PadsFS
    Participant

I wish the vote could take place a little after the AFL season. That would go a long way to helping me place Sosa and Hicks.

Viewing 25 posts - 151 through 175 (of 560 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.