2018 St. Louis Cardinals Top Prospects Voting

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 St. Louis Cardinals Top Prospects Voting

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 560 total)
  • Author
    PadsFS
    Participant

BlackHillsCard
    Just curious, is there a time limit on the voting or what? How do you determine its time to call the vote? Just wondering. Greenwald is the only one who hasn’t voted yet in this round.

I don’t get on here as much on the weekend mostly. I’ll end it later today. I always hold out a little hope that more votes will come in too.

Right now, it’s 5 for O’Neill, 4 for Bader, 3 for Hudson.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I only stated I didn’t get people’s rationale and no where did I insult anyone.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Glad to see desmetlax joining in!

So if you give your reason for voting for someone… it’s campaigning?…. wouldn’t it take a mind-reader to figure that out. I thought that presenting a reason for your selection was part of this exercise and that it was encouraged. It’s “open” to anyone who cares to participate. I would think that some that hadn’t participated might come here to check out the results. I’ve often stated that I’m always interested what others state and opine and without doubt others do the same. I spend time on here to learn.

Naturally, I don’t always agree with what slot some prospects were given, but I don’t pitch a bitch about it. Participants have their own reasons for voting as they do. One comment here was ” Someone doesn’t understand how prospect lists work.” Really, is there any one way of determining how this is to work? There’s a lot factors one can consider. I have my own opinion, state it, and that’s how I vote…
    and not by someone else’s opinion. But that’s just me and that’s why this is a consensus of opinions.

The “Community’s” poll last season was basically in line with other’s polls. Fun, serious, using other’s opinions… the results will probably be the same anyhow, but unique.

**The comment made about caliber was meant to be taken positively and not negatively. Just like I read comments on a daily basis throughout the season from certain posters and take more out of them then those of some other posters…. my prerogative. You may get to know where their interests lie.

ps. if anyone wanted to try to influence others to get them to vote as they want them to, they probably would have posted their selections before this poll started citing some presumed expertise. 🙂

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

I said that because you refused to vote for someone because you didnt think they would remain a cardinal

I stand by it. The reason was invalid.

That’s not an insult. Prospect lists don’t work that way and taking it as an insult … Well you have too much time on your hands.

… And you dont know how prospect lists work.

14NyquisT
    Participant

First off, I didn’t say that at all. What I was saying is that if a player sits around on the bench for three years (as is the stated plan), his development and skills would have to suffer. He’d then have to be re-evaluated after the lay-off. Listen, I like Kelly a lot and think he’s getting a raw deal. I don’t know if the Cards will move him but his value has suffered already with Molina’s decision.

ps. If you know how lists don’t work, then you probably feel that you know how they do work. Please let the rest of us know.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Brian, with the scout site scuttled, is there anywhere to access the prospect lists from the past?

14NyquisT
    Participant

CC, I e-mailed last year’s lists to Pads and he posted them on the 11th. The years prior to that I don’t have.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

… Molina gets hurt and he plays for us for 15 years starting immediately. Yadi will not get his job back.

There is no stated plan. Yadi has the job until carson is traded or he gets hurt.

Carson has buster posey talent… Or so, close it is nitpicking to quibble. You dont knock him because of imagined scenarios.

When a guy is a ten year all star in the making you dont put him behind a bunch of other guys because of maybes no matter how good I personally think our system is.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Whatever my thoughts are Kelly got #3 and he deserves it. I think that Hudson is going to be a damn fine MLB pitcher. If MEM wins tonight they will play for all the marbles on Tuesday vs. the IL Champs Durham and it will be Hudson’s turn to pitch. That game will be shown on NBC so it’s worth a watch. And with that I’m done and done. Thank you for your input.

PadsFS
    Participant

CC – I have all the lists from 2013 on in excel form. I didn’t have the full list from last year. Just to 50, then I stopped keeping track since the message board did it for me. I can email them to you.

PadsFS
    Participant

How about Adolis Garcia and Randy Arozarena?

Both are easily top 15, but top 10 maybe?

Garcia had a .290/.340/.476/.817 line with 15 HRs and 15 SBs and can play CF (17 assists!!)

Arozarena, meanwhile, had a .266/.346/.437/.783 line with 11 HRs and 18 SBs and can also play CF probably even above-average at it. Arozarena had an impressive 13.8% BB-rate in AA and is young for the league while Garcia has less outstanding plate discipline and is older although he is already in AAA.

bccran
    Participant

The thing that gets difficult in putting these prospect lists together is mixing pitchers with position players. Apples and oranges. The rating lists that I put together are by position – starters, relievers, catchers, corner infielders, middle infielders, corner outfielders, and center fielders. Understanding that some prospects can change positions. It doesn’t mean these lists are the right way to go about it, just personal choice. Overlapping these lists and anticipated arrival dates with term of contracts for existing Cardinal major league players is an interesting ongoing exercise.
    JMHO.

14NyquisT
    Participant

pads, can you possibly send those lists to me… you have my address.

14NyquisT
    Participant

bc…. that sounds interesting. Maybe later in the off-season we can exchange those lists. Might be some fun on a snowy day.

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For reference, here was my personal list from last winter:

Top 50 list as followed, including an additional ten prospects:

#1. Alex Reyes
    #2. Delvin Perez
    #3. Carson Kelly
    #4. Luke Weaver
    #5. Harrison Bader
    #6. Dakota Hudson
    #7. Sandy Alcantara
    #8. Jack Flaherty
    #9. Junior Fernandez
    #10. Austin Gomber
    #11. Paul DeJong
    #12. Johan Oviedo
    #13. Randy Arozarena
    #14. Jake Woodford
    #15. Ryan Helsley
    #16. Edmundo Sosa
    #17. Magneuris Sierra
    #18. Alvaro Seijas
    #19. Jordan Hicks
    #20. Allen Cordoba
    #21. Eli Alvarez
    #22. Tim Cooney
    #23. Dylan Carlson
    #24. Nick Plummer
    #25. Conner Jones
    #26. Bryce Denton
    #27. Ian Oxnevad
    #28. Jonatan Machado
    #29. Matt Pearce
    #30. Ronnie Williams
    #31. Derian Gonzalez
    #32. Jeremy Martinez
    #33. Tommy Edman
    #34. Marco Gonzales
    #35. Mike Mayers
    #35. John Kilichowski
    #36. Zac Gallen
    #37. Breyvic Valera
    #38. Daniel Poncedeleon
    #39. Dennis Ortega
    #40. Sam Tuivailala
    #41. Rowan Wick
    #42. Andrew Knizner
    #43. Luke Voit
    #44. Corey Littrell
    #45. Carlos Soto
    #46. Darren Seferina
    #47. Trey Nielsen
    #48. Chris Chinea
    #49. Wadye Ynfante
    #50. Jose Martinez
    #51. Walker Robbins
    #52. Steven Farinaro
    #53. Bryan Dobzanski
    #54. Vincent Jackson
    #55. Victor Garcia
    #56. David Washington
    #57. Ryan Sherriff
    #58. Arturo Reyes
    #59. Blake Drake

*couldn’t decide on one – all three are future relief types
    #60a. Jacob Evans
    #60b. Ian McKinney
    #60c. Andrew Morales

PadsFS
    Participant

I’m going to close the vote down for #4. Our list singular vote will be for #5.

Tyler O’Neill with the 5-4 win at #4.

Voting is open for #5.

PadsFS
    Participant

My vote is for Harrison Bader here at #5.

bccran
    Participant

It would be fun, 14. Will look forward to it.

I’m still thinking about Brian’s comment a few weeks ago that we don’t have any impact bats in our system.
    That’s pretty depressing, since it’s our biggest need at the major league level. Kind of puts a damper on following a number of our position prospects. Why follow guys who will be average at the very best even if they make it, when that’s not what the big club needs.

At the end of every season, I compile statistics for every one of our minor leaguers on one 11×17 spread sheet. Just finished that. Where would be the break point on OPS as far as interesting prospects in 2017
    ?…800? .825? .850?

14NyquisT
    Participant

Hudson #5

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

#5 Bader

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

#5 Bader

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Looking at Derek Shore’s list made me wonder why Seattle gave up on O’Neill. (Not trying to influence votes as O’Neill has already been selected). Anybody else still wonder that?

bccran
    Participant

Sierra for #5. Speed never goes into a slump.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Folks, you don’t have to chase down prior years’ lists. I have now re-posted them. I had held out hope that Scout would fix all the broken links to the last decade of articles, but that does not look to be happening for content prior to sometime in 2016.

So, in place of the broken Scout links, I have posted the voting results for all voters for the site top prospect list back to 2011. For 2006-2010, I just posted the final result.

All of these can be found via the menu at the upper left column in red under “PROSPECT RANKINGS”.

Let me know if you have questions.

Wiley
    Participant

Free

I have to go with Dakota Hudson here. He’s a 4-pitch guy with a dynamic slider, a sinking fastball over 95, plus curve and change up. In two years in our minors he has a 2.14 GO/AO ratio, which means he makes the hitters put the ball on the ground and lets his fielders take care of the rest. Sounds like Mike Leake, but with a much better upside. He’s a harder thrower who gives up weak contact. Gave up only 7 homers in 153 innings. How is that even possible?

Viewing 25 posts - 101 through 125 (of 560 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.