2018 St. Louis Cardinals Top Prospects Voting

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 St. Louis Cardinals Top Prospects Voting

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 560 total)
  • Author
    Wiley
    Participant

Free

Lets go to 75! We went 70 last year and still missed Jose Martinez and John Brebbia. Apparently we are all showing ‘age’ bias in our voting.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

41 Mayers
    42 Wisdom
    43 Ellis
    44 Plummer
    45 Sheriff

Wiley
    Participant

Free

Geez, I forgot to mention Ryan Sherriff too.

PadsFS
    Participant

Yep. Not one person put a vote in for Brebbia or Martinez. Last year, we still had 14 going strong through 70 votes though. This year we are already down to 10. I don’t mind to keep going though!

14NyquisT
    Participant

I’m with Wiley 75 or bust. I still have some good prospects left.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Brebbia was certainly understandable. He was a 26 year old pitcher we plucked out of an indy league who had a 5+ ERA for the year.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I have struggled more this year with trying to get some of the called up guys votes. If Mejia or Valera had never been called up, how high would they have ranked?

desmetlax12
    Participant

Free

CC, you make a good point and something I’ve wrestled with too on the borderline call up guys. On the other hand, doesn’t the call up mean something as well? I think it shows the organization believes these guys have shown enough to get a chance at the majors and so they’re prospects they believe in and want to invest those limited opportunities of ABs and IPs. The fact that Wisdom wasn’t called up (especially when there was a need for depth at 3B after Gyorko was injured) almost caused me to leave him off my list entirely. The rumor of an addition to the 40 man saved him as a prospect for me.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

41 Wick
    42 Valera
    43 Plummer
    44 Montero
    45 Sherriff

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I actually meant to imply that Mejia and Valera would be ranked higher if they hadn’t have been called up.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Is mudville going to vote this round? Does anyone know?

Wiley
    Participant

Free

CC. I’ll be the first to admit that I wouldn’t have voted for Brebbia, Patrick Wishom or Alex Mejia, had we gone to 100. I think I did vote for Sherriff and I was sure I had voted for Jose Martinez, but if Pads says no, then I didn’t, but he was on my list. I don’t believe Mejia will see the majors again, but I could totally be wrong. Our best relief pitcher in Memphis was Mark Montgomery, but because of his age and availability on the 40-man he didn’t get a shot. Whose to say he doesn’t make the Cardinal bullpen out of spring training next season! Wisdom had a career year in Memphis and could go in the rule 5 (along with Valera) if we don’t protect them…but will we? Mike Mayers, I expect will go in the first trade they can unload him in, so he’s not a guy I’ll vote for. Like I said, age bias for the most part. Brebbia was certainly a find for the scouting department and an eye opener for those of us who believe that if they signed out of an Independent league then they have 0% chance. Now I think they may have found another gem in Zach Prendergast.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Actually forgot about Montgomery on my list. He’s technically still a Cardinal prospect until he most likely declares himself a minor league FA shortly after the end of the World Series. I doubt he re-signs here since we didnt give him a shot.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Valera wont go in the rule 5. If we remove him from the 40 man roster he will become a minor league FA.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I’m surprised I didn’t vote for Martinez either. I must of had my epiphany about him after our vote as I remember touting him in the off season and getting told it was all a sample size aberation. Him and Pham both.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

#41 Plummer
    #42 Wick
    #43 Trosclaire
    #44 Shew
    #45 Kruczynski

I think Sherriff and Valera have already hit their peak. I like Wisdom, but he doesn’t seem like a rookie anymore. If he works on his hitting with the kind of dedication he had last offseason, I could see him on the 25 man roster next year especially if we don’t get Donaldson, or, what the heck, Machado.

This my last round.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

With Mudville’s vote that should wrap up this round. Here’s the current score:

Wisdom – 20
    Plummer – 20
    Sherriff – 19
    Yepez – 17
    Valera – 16

Wick – 16
    Montero – 12
    Young – 9
    Mayers – 8
    Bandes – 8
    Shew – 7
    Ortega – 6
    Kruczynski – 6
    Trosclaire – 6
    Ellis – 3
    Morales – 2
    Nicasio – 2
    Lucas – 2
    Lopez – 1

Guys in bold are the top 5

Wiley
    Participant

Free

Don’t understand the love for Nick Plummer. He showed absolutely no signs of improvement. I know he missed the previous season but still. His second half was as bad as the first. He struck out 39% of the time and hit .198. He didn’t have eye surgery, but then he could become the next Oscar Mercado in 2018 and I’ll be eating my words.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I think.Plummer has a chance because he has such a good eye. I also have cut him slack because of last year’s injury and I still give some weight to his draft position. Next year he wont have the injury excuse and his draft position weight will drop to almost nothing. I wonder wether he will repeat the midwest league again or be pushed up or out in Palm Beach.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

His draft position was pretty important to me when evaluating him and so were stats which is why isn’t a Top 25 prospect at this point. He’s in the Top 50. He has 1-2 years to prove he wasn’t a bust. At this point I’m cutting him some slack but not enough to consider him a top prospect at this point.

14NyquisT
    Participant

BHC…. have you called 41-45?

41. Wisdom

tie Plummer

43. Sherriff

44. Yepes

45. Valera

tie Wick

I think we start with #47 and make 4 selections. 47-50.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Using Pads’ tiebreaking method Valera wins the tiebreaker. The next round shpuld atart at 46 to keep consistency.

I didn’t call it because I’m not sure we can do it without Pads.

Cards1776
    Participant

Free

Using Pads’ tiebreaking method Valera wins the tiebreaker. The next round shpuld atart at 46 to keep consistency.

BlackHills, there were 2 ties. Wisdom and Plummer; Valera and Wick.
    Whose last vote did you use to break the tie between Vlaera and Wick?

Cards1776
    Participant

Free

BlackHills, there were 2 ties. Wisdom and Plummer; Valera and Wick.
    Whose last vote did you use to break the tie between Vlaera and Wick?

BlackHills, I’m not being critical, just curious.

14Ntyquist mentioned earlier that he felt going back to previous rounds to break a tie was maybe not a good idea. I tend to agree. Either leave it at a tie or find another way to break it. PADS is moderating the round, though, so it will ultimately be his decision. I offered a suggestion earlier, but no on commented so it must not have been a viable option. No worries, though; since I am new to the voting this year I am learning and my suggestion may very well indeed have been off base. I am okay if it was and thank you guys for allowing me to participate in the voting process.

vegasjim
    Participant

Paid - Annual

46. Ortega
    47. Montero
    48. Nicacio
    49. Lopez
    50. Wick

Viewing 25 posts - 401 through 425 (of 560 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.