2017 MLB Game #99: Cards vs. Rockies: Mon Jul 24

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2017 MLB Game #99: Cards vs. Rockies: Mon Jul 24

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mike Leake (6-8, 3.39) vs. Antonio Senzatela (10-3, 4.67) 7:08 p.m. FOX Sports Midwest and ESPN

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Guess that we’re not going to trade anybody before tonight’s game…hope Leake pitches well…

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Cubs lose to the WhiteSox today 3-1. Our old umpire buddy Angel Hernandez called Willson Contreras out on strikes to end it. The last two pitches were borderline fastballs and Angel gave them the right arm. Contreras was honked after the called 3rd strike. Steve Stone said they were both strikes. Contreras might have actually swung at the last one.

It sort of worries me to put DeJong in the 3rd slot in the lineup. A lot of pressure for a young hitter.

r/Rat

bccran
    Participant

Would rather see Wong second, Pham third, and DeJong 5th.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Exactly – that’s how I would have done it. I also do not like Molina in the 5 spot. I would have gone:

Fowler
    Wong
    Pham
    Gyorko
    DeJong
    Voit
    Molina
    Grichuk

bccran
    Participant

Good adjustments.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I’d rather go with this lineup myself:

Carpenter 1B
    Pham LF
    Fowler CF
    Stanton RF
    Gyorko 3B
    Molina C
    DeJong SS
    Wong 2B
    Leake P

bccran
    Participant

Unfortunately, those numbers for Stanton are just too big.
    Limits flexibility in the future.

bccran
    Participant

Cards don’t want to skew to a disproportionate percentage of total payroll paid to one singular player.

colhusker
    Participant

Free

Leake has looked good so far.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Martinez off the bench with a solo homer.

I think Martinez has done what they’ve asked of him. He just a poor defender where they need him to be solid. Still think he can stick somewhere next year or possibly be involved in a trade after the deadline.

Pham with his 14th.

colhusker
    Participant

Free

Bullpen in, two batters two runs. And the third reaches on a single.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Martinez is a weak defender so of course Matheny double switches to leave Martinez in for late any defense. I haven’t been overly critical.of Matheny but some things are just too baffling to defend.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Yeah this team can’t afford to lightly. Too bad the manager does.

Another hit and here’s Arenado!

colhusker
    Participant

Free

Big run out there at 2nd base.

colhusker
    Participant

Free

I think a 6 run lead with three outs to go is safe.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Don’t jinx it…

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Could tell we won by the small number of posts. Just kidding.

I thought DeJong did an excellent job in the 3 hole. Good plate discipline and hit the ball hard. Also excellent play on defense.

Big K by Brebbia of Aredondo and Siegrist of Parra. I was hoping they would have left Brebbia in to see how he handled the pressure. We need a reliever we can count on and he looks like just as good as any of them.

Diaz got a couple of hits tonight including a long home run. Selby reports that the Buddah (Mark Budaski, Memphis hitting coach) is making good progress with Diaz.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I had the same thought on testing Brebbia further. However, I’ve been pleasantly surprised at how well Siegrist has looked in his four appearances since returning. He looks like a new guy with the improved command and pitch variation. Just hope it sticks.

PadsFS
    Participant

To those calling for Wong batting second, Matheny always caters to LH RH LH type lineups when he can.

Fowler and Wong were the only LH bats in the lineup last night. He would never put them together. That’s also why we don’t see Fowler second when Carpenter plays. Pham splits the two up.

PadsFS
    Participant

Of course, Fowler is a switch-hitter, not a LH-only bat.

PadsFS
    Participant

That Brebbia/Aronado matchup worried me. Brebbia couldn’t get his breaking stuff over. He got lucky with Aronado missing a couple. That call for the outside change-up was masterful though.

Did Zach Duke always switch up his pitching mechanics from pitch-to-pitch like that? I can’t remember what he did last year.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.