2017 MLB Game #92: Cards at Mets: Mon July 17

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2017 MLB Game #92: Cards at Mets: Mon July 17

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Adam Wainwright (10-5, 5.20) vs. Zack Wheeler (3-6, 4.86) 6:10 p.m. FOX Sports Midwest

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Tough loss yesterday. Not enough runs for the number of hits, and once again we cannot close it. I thought Matheny might stick with Rosenthal to start the ninth against Cervelli, then bring in Cecil against the left-handers. I think Mike needs to get out of the mind set that bullpen pitchers can only pitch one inning, as right now our ‘pen is so bad that if a guy is looking good you need to stay with him. The auto-pilot managing does not work.

It looks dim for the Cardinals to not be in a sell mode in the next week or so. We really need to win 2 of the 3 “non-deGrom” starts, as most likely that game will go in the Mets win column. And even doing that, we only get a series split and basically tread water.

A woeful situation right now. When Dexter Fowler is your number 3 hitter, that is an indication of where your offense lies. Look at the top teams #3 hitter, and there is a huge gap between the Bryce Harper types and Dexter. What has killed us offensively has primarily been Matt Carpenter’s inability to step-up and be a solid #3 production hitter, and Steven Piscotty’s lost year. Aledmys Diaz’ flop is right behind.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This team is so dismal right now it is driving me nuts. I think I need to step away for awhile and let them do what may.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I find it surprising that not more is said of the success of DeJong.

Another thing…. If someone told you last season that the STL of would consist of Fowler, Pham, Sierra and Martinez, you would of called him a loony.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

People have taken notice of Dejong. I think people are hesitant to heap so much praise on him in fear of a slump. The sample size is a tad small and the jury is out if SS is where he ends up.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It is warm and clear night in New York – great baseball weather!

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Lets wait until later in the year until we give DeJong and everyday job. Remember Brian Jordan in 1992? Everybody thought he was great when he was hot early, but he ended up hitting .227.

Besides, in my mind, DeJong is not a TRUE EVERYDAY shortstop.

r/Rat

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

If the team was doing well, there would likely be more talk about DeJong. But since the team is poor (to date anyway), people tend to focus on the reasons for failure.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Bases Loaded and 2 out.

I could see us getting 1 out of this maybe…Forgot it was 2 out

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

No more commercials from me from NY this week, but I am posting my news from there each day for members.

Walton’s Cardinals New York Minutes – 07/17/17

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Dejong with a 2 run blast.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Speaking of DeJong, his 2-run HR just put the Cards up 2-1 in the 6th.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Waino keeps hitting like a vintage 1965 Drysdale!

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Wow, that is something about DeJong homering in 4 straight vs the Metropolitans.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Mets TV broadcast crew also said DeJong is the first player (regardless of team) to ever homer in his first four games against the Mets.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I don’t hold much into those stats. If his OPS is around .800 and he plays solid defense the rest of the way I’ll take it.

Duda goes yard. We can’t let Adam get it closer with our pen.

colhusker
    Participant

Free

Get a nice lead and then the little league defense rears it head.

colhusker
    Participant

Free

Send Fowler back to the Cubs unexcuseable

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Fowler is having a horrible night. His worst game in a long time and that might be before he was on the northside.

The rub with Sierra is like many players who come through this system he’s not only raw but lack fundamentals in certain area’s. He’s a flawed player with raw talent.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

You don’t see the little league homer often. Cards defense can provide that. Then Fowler with his patented “oh so cute nonchanlant” catch…that turned out to not be a catch. Cards welcome the Mets right back into the game with some absolutely disgusting baseball.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Sheesh, good offense and bad defense in this one. At least the offense has hit the “On The Run” bonus. This should be the batting order for the next few games:

Sierra
    Carpenter
    Pham
    Gyorko
    DeJong
    Molina
    Wong
    Fowler

Mike likely won’t do that, so at least he should flip Sierra and Fowler and go that way with the rest of the order.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Five run lead and letting them back in. Are you kidding me? Fowler muffs a routine catch. That’s what $16.5 million a year gets you these days, lackadaisical play.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Wow, Siegrist looked great! Here is a situation where I would bring him back for the ninth. No way Mike will do that of course, and there is something to be said for it as you love to have him build his confidence on that outing. Bringing him back might not go so good in the ninth.

Promising appearance though.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Siegrist with a 10-pitch 3K 8th inning.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.