2017 MLB Game #91: Cards at Bucs: Sun Jul 16

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2017 MLB Game #91: Cards at Bucs: Sun Jul 16

This topic contains 25 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  bccran 1 week, 1 day ago.

• Author

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Carlos Martinez (6-8, 3.40) vs. RHP Trevor Williams (3-4, 4.80 ERA), 12:35 pm, FOX Sports Midwest

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

gscottar
    Participant

Too bad Mags Sierra doesn’t have the sample size to justify staying with the big club when Grichuk and Piscotty come off the DL. I guess a .429 avg and nine game hitting streak isn’t good enough. If he raises his average to .600 can he stay? We all know that Piscotty’s .236 avg is preferable.

stlcard25
    Participant

Cmart has been only passable today but not that sharp. Goat of the game so far is Gyorko with two GIDP and another inning ending groundout. This feels like the reverse of Firday’s game with the Cards having the Pirates on the ropes all game. I hope they can score some more.

gscottar
    Participant

Update: Mags is now hitting .444

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Cecil as closer. I like the idea but ask me again after three batters.

TexasCard
      Participant

I guess you don’t like Cecil as closer so much now.

EuroWolf
    Participant

This team’s a mess. Lack of hustle, defense, and pen strike again.

bccran
    Participant

This club needs a major trade to give them a jolt. The only energy on this team is in the rotation and with rookie position players.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Inconsistency is our problem. You cant depend on anybody. Cecil coughs it up with some bad pitches. DeJong could have made that play if he would have been an everyday SS.

Cubs are about to go on their first run of the season as they sweep Baltimore. Mets seem to be playing better so we will probably lose 3 of 4 in New York. Then most likely another sweep at the hands of the Cubs.

By late next Sunday night we might very well be in the Sell mode.

r/Rat

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

So much for the Cecil experiment. I was hoping we were starting to get over our bullpen woes, but no. Can we at least take couple from the Mets? Defense, situational hitting, relief pitching, base running, overall hustle all need to improve, otherwise they’re looking pretty good.

stlcard25
    Participant

Like I said, the reverse of Friday’s game…but of course the Cards manage to lose this one too. By the end of this road trip I suspect it will be clear the Cards need to sell off assets and get what they can.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

In the “winnable” Central, the Cards are two games closer to last place (five games) than first (seven).

blingboy
    Participant

It would be interesting to ask Mo if he considers the team to be competitive.

CardsRedSox4Ever
      Participant

Of course he would say yes, “we’re just one win streak away from competing for the Div lead, blah, blah, blah,” while completely ignoring the problems that are obvious to us. Bullpen #1 problem — last in League for wins in relief (8), tied for 5th in losses in relief (17). #2: defense– 9th in errors committed, below league avg for def efficiency and fielding percentage; #3 — batting, below or near league avg in most categories. You can’t win a Div with that kind of performance. Answer should be “no, we’re not competitive.”

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

It is Girsch’s question and problem now. 😉

858booyah
    Participant

Here how this works.

Trade for Stanton

Then Trade Lynn and Trade Duke if he shows any value. Oh should just be traded. Eat the rest of his deal fora PTBNL

Reset for 2018! This team was done months ago.

858booyah
    Participant

Oh and I liked how Kevin Seigrist looked this weekend. He could’ve done the same thing in the minors.

NJ315
    Participant

Not excusing Cecil at all. He coughed it up. But 13 hits and 3 runs??? This game should have not been up to the closer.

stlcard25
      Participant

Agree. There were way too many base runners to not score 5-6 runs and put this one way out of reach. Gyorko was then worst culprit. Carpenter missed a golden chance in one inning as well.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

FWIW, I agree with you. The offense needs to build larger leads to keep pressure off the pen. (Though I am not sure they are up to it.) It is a lot to ask to expect a bullpen to be perfect – give up no runs – every time.

bccran
    Participant

Cardinals starters rank #4 in MLB in ERA. Bullpen ranks #16.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

The Cardinals offense is 20th in runs scored, even lower ranked than the pen, which is almost smack in the middle.

EuroWolf
    Participant

Defense is as big a culprit as offense if you base it on number of unearned runs yielded. Cards have given up the 10th most in MLB. Yep, there’s a lot that needs to be fixed.

bccran
    Participant

It’s a shame we’re blowing such a good performance by the rotatation. They must be torqued.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.