2017 MLB Game #157: Cards vs. Cubs Tue Sep 26

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2017 MLB Game #157: Cards vs. Cubs Tue Sep 26

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Carlos Martinez (12-11, 3.63) vs. Jake Arrieta (14-9, 3.43) 7:15 p.m. FOX Sports Midwest, ESPN

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Just about every game the rest of the way is a MUST win. We got a break last night when the Rockies lost to Miami 5-4. If we go 5-1 the rest of the way and Colorado 2-3 we end up tied with them. Of course, that might mean Milwaukee could sneak in there too.

And brace yourself, going to be hard to stomach watching the Cubs celebrate at Busch should they clinch.

r/Rat

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

we have celebrated at their place…doesnt bother me…they have earned their wins against us especially late…. sometimes you win sometimes you lose and sometimes it rains..

tip your cap and move on

it still is very exciting though….that’s all i can hope for any year

NJ315
    Participant

The day has finally come that I totally agree with jager.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I asked this in another thread so here goes again. When did the Cardinals clinch at Wrigley? According to Len and Jim (Cubs announcers) the last time the Cubs clinched in St. Louis was 1938.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Carpenter 1B
    Pham LF
    Fowler CF
    Gyorko 3B
    DeJong SS
    Grichuk RF
    Garcia 2B
    Kelly C
    Martinez P

No official word yet on Molina’s condition after taking two foul balls off the facemask last night.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Can our Ace come through for us? Golden opportunity to shine. Or will he be more interested in being silly and ignorning, stacking cups, throwing water on people, deciding what color his hair will be, etc, etc.

As far as I am concerned there is one – ONE – Untouchable on this team this offseason and his name is Alex Reyes.

r/Rat

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wong is not playing because his back soreness has flared up again.

Molina feeling better and may return later in the week, but only if he passes medical tests. Not put on 7-day concussion DL, created for this very kind of situation.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

At this point just shut Wong down.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

I was watching the Cubs’ broadcast last night and they made a comment about Fowler playing CF that I hadn’t heard before. They said that it was talked about moving him to a corner OF position and he refused. I don’t remember exactly how they said it but I got the impression he strongly opposed a move.

1. If that is the case, I am not sure I want him. He may be good in keeping the clubhouse loose but he still needs to do whats best for the team.

2. If he doesn’t want to move off of CF, that could be the way to get him to waive his no-trade when it is time to trade him for an upgrade somewhere else or for him.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Agree with Forsch.Ego aside he not that good of a CF anymore.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

No need to use the concussion DL with the expanded rosters.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I don’t consider winning a division that big of a prize, although it certainly beats not winning it. It puts you in a good place to get to the World Series, which is the main goal.

Good question on whether or not the Cardinals have ever clinched anything in Chicago. Whether we have or not, we have many more pennants and World Championships than the Cubs.

That said though, they are getting some nice revenge these last three years. So far Jason Heyward was correct when he characterized our club as one on a downward trend, and the Cubs going upward.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

One reason to use the concussion DL would be to end without question him playing any more this season. It wasn’t just put in place to protect the size of team rosters. The feeling of the professionals that MLB and the union consulted was that seven days is a good minimum duration for a concussed player to be sidelined. It eliminates the possibility of pressures forcing a decision that might provide short-term gain, but a long-term negative impact on the player.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Agreed Mike. Unfortunately many of us (I include myself here) were drinking the FO cool-aid at that time. Many of us, however, have stopped drinking since then.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brewers up 4-0 in the second inning…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The first inning for Martinez was huge. Three up and three down. His first inning ERA this season coming into tonight was 5.52.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cards score 3 in the 1st. First on Carpenter HR. Second on a two-out error by backup Cubs SS Mike Freeman after Fowler tripled. That opened the door for Grichuk to triple, scoring DeJong (who had reached on the error.) Two runs unearned, but they count!

Also Arrieta has already thrown 35 pitches.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Man, we could have had a huge first inning. We got 3, but all three strike outs were on pitches that would have been ball four had the batters held up.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Pham HR, Martinez walks in run with bases loaded. Cards up 5-2 mid 3rd.

Bad baserunning play by Gyorko to get thrown out at 3B for 1st out in B3rd.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Edmonds said Gyorko did everything right on that play, but just did not have the ability to finish due to the hamstring issue. He said Gyorko should have held, and when the coaches questioned him he could have told them he did not think he could make third with the compromised hammy.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Heyward’s numbers still not anywhere near where they were in ’15. Unfortunately Martinez’commamd is poor, and is inviting the Cubs back in.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Rockies up 4-0 in the fourth. Crew up 6-3 in the sixth. This night could about end it for us. Need to get the momentum back in this one.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Rockies up 4-0 in the fourth. Crew up 6-3 in the sixth. This night could about end it for us. Need to get the momentum back in this one.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Man, Tommy Pham is really good. It’s taken him awhile with all of his injuries and the eye problem. But he’ got it all when he is healthy – speed, power, defense, arm.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.