2017 MLB Game #155: Cards at Bucs Sun Sep 24

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2017 MLB Game #155: Cards at Bucs Sun Sep 24

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

John Gant (0-0, 3.86 ERA) vs. RHP Jameson Taillon (7-7, 4.73 ERA) 12:35 pm FOX Sports Midwest

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Starting with this game, there are eight more to go. These remaining games are virtual playoff games for us and the other two WC contenders.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

I think our “playoffs” ended with the sweep at Wrigley, but I hope they prove me wrong.

bccran
    Participant

When they come home, I hope they’re ready to play with urgency, fire, and enthusiasm in front of the best fans in baseball.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

This one looks tough. On paper, we are over-matched in starting pitching. You just hope that Gant is enough of an unknown that the Bucs have trouble with him. It’s almost an “all hands on deck” game as far as pitching goes.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Pham has had a couple brain farts on defense today and that pop out is one of the reason’s this team is where its at. IT’s not a mentally strong or focus club or so it seems.

Oh and he pulls Molina last night knowing he gets a day off today.

NJ315
    Participant

uh Oh a bomb by Marte 3-1 Bucs

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I just don’t understand why Oh was allowed to face another batter. You have a guy up the 2nd he leaves the bullpen. Deer in headlights again!

Matheny must want to have next season as a do or die in regards to his job security.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Oh being Oh, throws a couple of fat ones to Marte. Marte crushed the second one for a 2-run blast.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

At some point, Matheny has to trot a few of these duds out to the mound. Mo hasn’t given him many good pieces to work with. Matheny does far too many curious things for my liking, but I don’t understand why Mo doesn’t catch more heat for his failures the last couple years.

NJ315
    Participant

Cecil gives up a homer to the first batter he faces 4-1

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Case in point: Matheny just trotted out $30 million dollars of failure to the mound after Oh’s bad inning. Cecil gave up a room service batting practice location pitch on his first pitch that got jacked. Cards down 4-1. Oh, this roster we have…..

NJ315
    Participant

If he was trying to get into the postseason bringing in Oh at anytime would be wrong.

NJ315
    Participant

2 on ant 2 outs. Grichuk in for Carp against the lefty and Grichuk walks to load the bases. Up to Pham now Bucs bring a righty to face him.

NJ315
    Participant

Pham hit it hard to third for the force out.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Also, you can’t bring in Cecil, Duke, Bowman, and Sherriff because their ERAs are worse than Oh’s. Plus, you can’t start Gant if you want to make the playoffs either.

Our starters have combined for 3 and 2/3 innings the last two games. Matheny’s got some splaining to do….right. I get that Matheny makes many curious moves or non-moves with the pen, but this mess we’ve witnessed this weekend is not of his doing. I’ve seen Matheny criticized for leaving starters in too long and overworking the pen…in one post by the same poster. There were no right answers this weekend — Mo (the guy who got promoted) has made sure of that.

bccran
    Participant

We need more Nicasios.

NJ315
    Participant

Oh is a mistake period. But the biggest culprit is Lynn with that putrid effort yesterday.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

When you need to put up a zero, Oh is not your guy. MM should know that. If it’s truly all hands on deck, then I don’t care who threw 20 pitches yesterday, go out there and pitch till your arm falls off.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Cards lose.
    Cubs win.
    New England wins.

About the only good thing so far today is that the Colts got a win. Hung on to beat Cleveland 31-28. Cleveland mind you.

r/Rat

bccran
    Participant

The biggest problem today was the weak offensive performance.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Correct, we need more Nicasios. At least Mo got us one piece that’ll come in real handy IF we make the playoffs….gulp.

bccran
    Participant

Makes it really tough when guys you count on like Oh and Cecil didn’t come through this season.
    If those 2 had performed to expectations the Cards would be in the playoffs.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

MM singing Oh’s and Cecil’s praises from LAST year as reasons why he puts them in “big situations” this year (post game interview). Anyone who doubts that MM is a key reason this team is struggling just needs to listen to that interview. Player accountability is nil on this team right now.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

EuroWolf, Nicasio isn’t available for postseason rosters.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years