2017 MLB Game #136: Cards at Giants Sun Sep 3

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2017 MLB Game #136: Cards at Giants Sun Sep 3

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sooner i think you make some good points…

though in regards to defense and baserunning…our defense has gotten a lot better since the initial horrible play…and baserunning issues still persist some but that has also gotten better

i see how Matheny has gotten through this year and still has a team within striking distance of the playoffs as somethign that is what i want in a manager..

everyone complains he needs to win with who is out there…well he is…he got no help from the higher ups to fix issues…instead he has found a way to deal with the poor play and shaky parts of the team to keep the team in the hunt

it is admirable that he has been able to keep this team in it until now…he is basically fielding a AAA team right now and is till making a push…why does he get no credit for getting THIS team to THIS point…

this team coudl have caved several times this year and just given up and still had the same team we see out there…most fans gave up on them after about 20 games…yet they keep rolling with punches…some self inflicted at times…and yes they are going to struggle and yes Matheny will make some mistakes for all the hindsighters to attack him on…and YES he is a bit gruff and condescending with media at times…

but so what? he has a AAA team out there combined with a bunch of underperforming MLB regulars with all respect to Yadi and Wong…maybe Gyorko though his 2nd half has been iffy…

should we have moved on from PEralta and Broxton sooner? maybe… should we have gone to DeJong earlier? maybe? Same with Pham? maybe? shoudl we have made some trades to help the pen or the rotation or the lineup? maybe?

but despite all that we are still right there…will we get in? I dont know…but if we do or we dont MAtheny deserves some respect for keeping THIS team in there and diminishing some of the poor play and problems that have cropped up during the year…

the defense has gotten better, the underperforming players have gotten marginally better…the youngsters have come up and helped…almost every single one of them has done well…

THIS team still has a shot…there are a lot of others teams who gave up as soon as it got hard…this team has not…that deserves some respect to be given to the players and the managers… the front office? well…i am behind them 100% but they seemed to give up by not doing anythign to help the team this year…and again despite that the team still is goingfor it and playing well enough to have a shot…

bccran
    Participant

Terrific post, Sooner. A pleasure reading it.

Viewing 2 posts - 26 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.